NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed

Sorry for the bump
Just bought this at a ridiculously discount price for PC, so far it has thoroughly impressed me. The AI is brilliant, the handling is superb after tweaking dead zones and sensitivities, great graphics. The only thing that bugs me is the way they assume you've never played a racing game before and put you through the stupid set up race and have a loud mouth guide you through it.

Topgearfanatic, I also picked it up two days ago (for $10, how can I refuse?). You want to do some online racing? I don't have a lot of cars yet. I don't like the rockets, I much prefer driving my D-class Mercs and Beemers. Highest class I enjoy is C with the Jags and the Astons.

It's 9.99 on steam too. I bought it thinking my Core i7 and ati 5730 were surely a match for it. I was wrong :(

I can't get near xbox quality visuals from my supposedly far more powerful computer. I'm pretty disappointed. With everything just on medium, the game is virtually unplayable and looks worse than xbox.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's 9.99 on steam too. I bought it thinking my Core i7 and ati 5730 were surely a match for it. I was wrong :(

I can't get near xbox quality visuals from my supposedly far more powerful computer. I'm pretty disappointed. With everything just on medium, the game is virtually unplayable and looks worse than xbox.

Any ideas?

Drivers?

I'm on a mere Core2Duo and GTX 260M and run on full details.

I totally forgot about this game, after seeing this thread I tried the game again with some mods. The Unofficial Community Patch fixed some of the problems, the tire physics felt a bit more realistic, but the cars still bounces around like they have no shocks, the drifting physics is still broken.

Holy necro bump! ;)

I just wanted to say, that I've been playing SHIFT 2 more and more recently. While I wait for the complete Assetto Corsa to be released (No Lambos=you don't get my moneys!), this seems to be the next best thing.

As awdrifter observed two years ago, the community patch fixes the physics somewhat. They have made further improvements, and now the game is very pleasant to play. Not a full sim, but not arcade NFS-like handling by a long mile!

But the biggest reason I've been playing it a lot is the development of mods. A lot of cars have been converted from Forza 4 and other games. Among the ones that I've installed are E34, E39, 850CSi, Porsche 959, Countach 5000QV, Diablo SV, Aventador, 599GTO, F12, Enzo, F40, 288 GTO, 458 Italia, and a few others.

So this and a few other games are on the week long steam sale. For you guys that've played it a while, how's it compare to Forza or Assetto Corsa? Is it worth the $5?

Two words: Input lag.

Not sure if there is any fix for the PC version out there but I paid full price for it when it was released, had a bit of fun with it, but the input lag is just unbearable. Prepare for something around 300 - 500 ms. Not fun in a fast-paced racing game.

Or is there one?

Double post and #raisingownpostlevel on a wednesday evening.

The only thing Shift 2 was always good enough for me, moderately tuning cars and photoshoot them.