Jalopnik: NHTSA says "Nein" to Pagani; Huayra sales in US denied

I wouldn't worry about it much man. The way your government works that will get overturned come next president (i'm still a bit pissed at USCIS)

back to the Huayra, which I don't see why people find so hard to pronounce, shame it won't be going stateside, maybe Canada will get one or two

while i can pronounce Huayra, rarity is just a friggin tounge twister

Last edited:
I thought the Hurarara was supposed to be the first Pagani available in America? What happened?

I thought the Hurarara was supposed to be the first Pagani available in America? What happened?

Hopenchange.

They hoped that they'd be able to bring it in without the more expensive and extensive airbags (which they had some realistic expectations of getting since Lotus and a couple others had gotten waivers)... and we changed our administration on them.

Don't single cab pickup trucks still come with airbag's that can be disabled with the turn of a key? I remember that being a big deal in Ford advertising for the 97-2003 F-150.

Couldn't Pagani simply go with that system. Then again, aren't weight sensing grid OCS systems pretty much commodities almost by now?

That said, these things will be sold in so limited numbers here...that they really should have been granted an exemption, especially if other cars with potentially less niche/more family friendly designs get a free pass.

Don't single cab pickup trucks still come with airbag's that can be disabled with the turn of a key? I remember that being a big deal in Ford advertising for the 97-2003 F-150.

Couldn't Pagani simply go with that system. Then again, aren't weight sensing grid OCS systems pretty much commodities almost by now?

Yes, but that is in addition to OCS airbags, not in place of. Crown Vics have a similar system; 01-up cars all had Ford's OCS system installed and you could turn off the airbags with a switch on some of the later ones but the OCS system was still there even in the cop cars where it was pretty much useless.

OCS rigs must be designed and certified specifically for each car model type and cannot just be randomly moved from type to type. You can move them between platform mates, but not between platforms.

That said, these things will be sold in so limited numbers here...that they really should have been granted an exemption, especially if other cars with potentially less niche/more family friendly designs get a free pass.

I wouldn't call a GWiz family friendly (its successor is more of the same)...

advgwiz.gif

Tesla Roadsters get a pass too, and they're even more niche and less family friendly. Because they're green.

Last edited:
Yes, but that is in addition to OCS airbags, not in place of.

OCS rigs must be designed and certified specifically for each car model type and cannot just be randomly moved from type to type. You can move them between platform mates, but not between platforms.

Ahh, I figured that stuff like the OCS sensor mat would be like idk, seat belt retractors and tongues and such...It makes sense that they aren't though.

I wouldn't call a GWiz family friendly (its successor is more of the same)...

advgwiz.gif

Tesla Roadsters get a pass too, and they're even more niche and less family friendly. Because they're green.

:lol: I totally forgot about that "not an advertisement," sniff petrol ftw!

I was referring to Tesla's midsize Model S sedan though, surely that's not exempt, as I could see more people with kids (albeit filthy rich people) choosing that offering.

Ahh, I figured that stuff like the OCS sensor mat would be like idk, seat belt retractors and tongues and such...It makes sense that they aren't though.

There's more to it than just a weight sensing mat. There are also seat position sensors (which is one reason why they're useless in cop cars) among other things. Also, the mat isn't the inexpensive "is there weight yes/no" binary type but the more sensitive and more expensive "how much weight is there" type.

:lol: I totally forgot about that "not an advertisement," sniff petrol ftw!

I was referring to Tesla's midsize Model S sedan though, surely that's not exempt, as I could see more people with kids (albeit filthy rich people) choosing that offering.

It isn't on sale yet. If it needs one, it'll probably get a waiver from these idiots in DC, though. Because it's green.

Last edited:
Hopenchange.

They hoped that they'd be able to bring it in without the more expensive and extensive airbags (which they had some realistic expectations of getting since Lotus and a couple others had gotten waivers)... and we changed our administration on them.
Figured as much. :rolleyes:

Maybe if they didn't setup a dealership for a non legal car and hold stage an elaborate hosting party they might have been able to afford to design the airbags properly.

^Awesome! I would fall for advertising like that in a second, anyone have a spare 1.1million laying around? I will pay you back.......someday.

Seriously though, WHAT? Honestly, nobody ever even heard of 'intelligent airbags' 15 years ago, people seemed to make it past the age of 12 just fine, besides, its a freaking Pagani, If you are gonna crash chances are it's gonna be so damn fast and spectacular you're dead anyway.
+ Childsafety in a supercar? That's like giving a Smart a rating based on payloadnumbers.....
I thought our politicians were idiots when it came to all things car related, but this realy takes the cake.

Maybe if they didn't setup a dealership for a non legal car and hold stage an elaborate hosting party they might have been able to afford to design the airbags properly.

Sometimes I have the impression that you?re German, but then I remember even Germans have a sense of humor. They even smile occasionally.

it's coming! but you'll have to wait a few more years

Hold your horses, ladies and gents. All 700 of them. It appears that earlier reports of the Pagani Huayra's exclusion from the U.S. market may have been a tad premature.

As you may recall, we reported yesterday on a ruling from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that denied Pagani its application for exemption from certain airbag regulations. The assumption was that this would put a big damper on Pagani's plans to enter the American market, but if the latest reports prove accurate, that now appears to be little more than a speed bump. And as little as exotic supercars and their drivers like speed bumps, they can, one way or another, be overcome.

According to GTSpirit, Pagani appears to have been prepared for the NHTSA's refusal. The application had been submitted some three years ago, and since Pagani Automobili had not received a reply until now, it had already begun work on the advanced air bags as required. The request ? such as had been granted to other niche supercar manufacturers ? was simply to give Pagani some extra time to implement the rules and allow it to sell in the U.S. in the meantime. Clever.

Reports highlight just how far Pagani has gone to heighten the safety measures in the new Huayra with such features as a carbon-titanium passenger tub from which the rear subframe breaks off in the event of a catastrophic crash, and a fuel system that cuts off pressure if the fuel line is severed. In other words, over and above what NHTSA mandates.

The rigorous application of the advanced airbag regulations may mean that Pagani's planned deliveries for late 2012 could be pushed back to early 2013, but one way or another, Pagani is determined to sell here in the United States. And given the speeds of which its cars are capable, we wouldn't count on them arriving too late, either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/10/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

gives you a bit more time to save up :p

Why don't Pagani just take a leaf out of Koenigsegg's book? Make it run on bioethanol and there's the waiver right there. A few tweaks to the engine mapping can't cost as much as the claimed cost of the airbags surely?