Jalopnik: NHTSA says "Nein" to Pagani; Huayra sales in US denied

Sell it with no passenger seat at all. You don't need a passenger airbag.

Sometimes I have the impression that you?re German, but then I remember even Germans have a sense of humor. They even smile occasionally.

It seems like the setup a dealership for a car that wouldn't be legal once they went to sell it, and they seem to indicate they can't afford the development costs to make it legal. It's a pretty enormous fuck-up, it reminds me of Virgin racing designing a car with a fuel tank not adequately sized.

It seems like the setup a dealership for a car that wouldn't be legal once they went to sell it, and they seem to indicate they can't afford the development costs to make it legal. It's a pretty enormous fuck-up, it reminds me of Virgin racing designing a car with a fuel tank not adequately sized.
i wouldnt call it a fuck up, i would call it an unexpected error maybe?

Error of judgement I think covers it. They relied on a precedent, then got the wrong President.

:drums:

You guys can end the freakout over a hyper-expensive rich mans toy that none of you probably ever will be able to afford.

Well fuck me, thanks for letting me know. Man, all the things I don't need to care about. The possibilities. Why did noone else tell me this? I thought this was a community.

Sell it with no passenger seat at all. You don't need a passenger airbag.

Didn?t McLaren did something like this in the USA, removing the passenger seats and turning it into a one-seater?

EDIT:
I checked. They did.
It also reminded me of the marvelous bumpers and headlights. Ugh.
!B57h)k!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!hYEyrqO0nusBMvgmZkJWw~~_3.JPG

Last edited:
:lmao: that's the first time i see those :lol:

They did a similar thing to the Countach (and probably other cars as well). You don't see them much since many owners removed them as soon as they took delivery.

It is a rather brilliant way of saying 'sod off' to the health and safety tsars...

Oh I agree, it would be a disaster.

The law is the same here in the UK, a car is considered perfectly legal as long as it meets the standards and laws that were in place when it was built.

Just pointing out that the system as it stands is a bit silly. Surely it would be a better system if, say, a manufacturer of a new car was given benefits or an incentive to design a car with optimum safety designs and penalised otherwise, rather than being outright banned?

It seems silly to ban a car over something like child specific airbags, I mean surely it should be up to the consumer to choose whether they drive a safe car or not anyway? Fair enough, the government should do their best to ensure cars are as safe as possible, but at the end of the day why should the government decided how safely I can live my own life?

It is by height here, and every time they raise this shit it pisses me off because I am not far from the line for booster seats. :mad:
Hey government, here is an idea. Allow people to disable the damn things legally. I KNOW I am right on the freaking line for that and I would rather not be killed by an airbag because I could not disable it.

It is by height here, and every time they raise this shit it pisses me off because I am not far from the line for booster seats. :mad:
Hey government, here is an idea. Allow people to disable the damn things legally. I KNOW I am right on the freaking line for that and I would rather not be killed by an airbag because I could not disable it.

Looking it up the UK system has two things, either you are 4'4 feet tall or 12 years old, which ever comes first. If you are over 12 and a midget or whatever there is no legal requirement to have a booster seat.

Where things get messy is where safety laws collide with each other, it was brought up a while ago in a letter to a classic car magazine I used to read: This guy had a 1960s car with no seatbelts fitted and no legal requirement to have any, he wanted to take his grandson out in the car to shows with the rest of the family but wasn't sure if he'd need a child seat as there was no way to secure it anyway.
Nobody seemed to know where the law came in to play and what had priority, the no seatbelt requirement one or the booster seat secured correctly one.

I was watching an old Ford Cortina advert from 1970(ish) the other day where it showed the kids sitting in the back seat, completely un-restrained playing with each other, Mum was sitting sideways in the passenger seat and Dad, the driver, was spending more time glancing behind him than at the road. It made me laugh to think just how much has changed in the world of car safety! :lol:

It I think is all the way up to 4'9" and 80 lbs. Since I personally have always been on the small size and am only like 3" taller than that and was underweight most of my life that is way too damn close to the line for me at 16 when I could DRIVE THE DAMN THING.

It also reminded me of the marvelous bumpers and headlights. Ugh.
!B57h)k!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!hYEyrqO0nusBMvgmZkJWw~~_3.JPG
Holy Jesus Christ that is ugly!

The NHTSA and it's political leaders need to learn how to write flexible laws that makes sense. But I'm getting ahead of myself, first the US federals needs to learn the word flexibility as it's clearly missing from their vocabulary alltogether.

*goes back to arguing with US customs*

Last edited:
I hate to veer this off topic again, but the Rally fighter.

The case of registration varies by state, and California will certainly set the bar as to how we will streamline our process, bill of materials, and emissions test to make it as easy as possible. The EPA regulations are a huge factor in the limited availability of custom vehicle registrations, and the Rally Fighter will become known as one of the most efficient rides under the "custom vehicle" umbrella; this will improve the custom registration process. Remember that SB 100 is more about bringing emissions compliant cars to market than anything else, and we will only build strictly emissions compliant vehicles.

We're not saying you won't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to stand in line in California to register your custom ride - but it will be doable. And if you care deeply about having a car you love, it will be worth it.

Safety will always be a primary priority, and with the Rally Fighter we have built a very safe vehicle. The Rally Fighter is designed and built with all of the EPA and FMVSS standards in mind- as will all of Local Motors vehicles. Until we break ground to reduce the expense of crash testing, our vehicles will be built and sold in this manner. In the meantime, if/when a Local Motors vehicle reaches a scale that merits the substantial cost of current federalization and crash testing processes, we are prepared to immediately meet expectations without an entire vehicle redesign.

I am aiming to buy a small, rusty 1970s saloon. It doesn't have airbags, the dashboard is a plank of wood, the crumple zones depend on how fat you are and it might not even have seatbelts... Nor does it have any legal reason to have any. I like to think the knowledge that if I fuck up my remains will be scooped from the car in a jam jar will make me a more cautious, sensible motorist. :p

Exactly right. Imagine how careful we'd all drive if, instead of being greeted with a big pillow when we crash, we get a big, sharp rod that flies up out of the steering wheel and impales you through the eye? I guarantee accident rates will drop significantly :p.

Who the fuck would put a kid in a Huayra?

Pagani owners don't have kids. And if they do, they have five nannies and a trophy wife to take care of them.

Looking it up the UK system has two things, either you are 4'4 feet tall or 12 years old, which ever comes first.

I've never understood how they come up with the age number. 12 seems awfully old for a booster seat (that would have been 7th grade for me). Then again, I was 5'8" at 12 and would have long since passed that min height.

I've never understood how they come up with the age number. 12 seems awfully old for a booster seat (that would have been 7th grade for me). Then again, I was 5'8" at 12 and would have long since passed that min height.

Brits tend to be markedly smaller than Americans or many continental Euros. Has to do with their diet.