Nikon D80.....

Sorry, but I just have to straighten a few things out:

70-300mm means that the lens can focus on an image that is anywhere from 70 to 300mm away. Any lens with a capable focal length of 200mm or greater is considered a telephoto lens. These are usefull for closing in on far away objects.

No no no no! *Clarkson imitation*

1) The focal length of a lens is not the same thing as the focusing distance. Focal length tells you the angle of view you get. The longer the focal length, the smaller the angle of view. At the same time, perspective changes, so distant objects seem to be closer.
2) In principle, the longer the focal length, the longer the minimum focusing distance (because of physics, camera/lens mechanics etc.), but there are macro-lenses that can focus pretty close, even though they are tele lenses.
2) A telephoto lens is considered to be anything longer than 50mm. 50mm is the "normal", a view that has a neutral perspective. Anything shorter is considered a wide angle lens. When we count in the crop factor, which is 1.5 in Nikon DSLR's, the normal is about 35mm, so that makes a 50mm lens a mild tele in a Nikon DSLR.

The lens in question has a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 (very good/useful for a telephoto lens) over the whole focal range (70-300mm).

A lens like that does not exist. There are telephoto lenses with focal lengths like 70-200mm and 80-200mm which have an aperture of f/2.8, but none that reach to 300mm. And don't get me wrong, there are prime lenses like 300mm f/2.8 but not a 70-300 zoom with f/2.8.

In contrast to telephoto lenses, wide angle lenses have a focal length less than 30-20mm. They allow you to get close to your subject (cars) and are also good for landscapes etc..

Well, yes and no. You do get closer to your subjects in term of focusing distance etc. but at the same time, the short focal length means the subject appears to be further away (=perspective).

(hopefully I pointed everything out correctly and didn't make an ass out of myself...)

OK. just picked up the D80 today, it came with,
  • D80 Body
  • 18-135mm kit lenes
  • 2x2gig memory Card
  • Very good Nikon Carry Bag
  • Nikon jacket 8)
  • All Cables and Books
  • Tripod (I ain't gonna use it, i don't think i need it but meh. It seems really cheap and crap to:? but it was free)
  • Nikon 1500mAh battery

And all this for just under $1500 Australian. I think it was a good deal. Now I just got to learn how to use it, lol.

Nikon jacket!?! I'm intensely jealous, we don't get those here!

Sorry, but I just have to straighten a few things out:..............(hopefully I pointed everything out correctly and didn't make an ass out of myself...)

What he said. :D Well I tried my best...guess I'm the one who made an ass of myself. :( :lol:

Last edited: