Ninjacoco wins fuel light bingo

Wait. Just thinking back to my car. It totally has a light! It illuminates at start up then goes away.

3BCgIj0.jpg

Also, while searching for that picture I found this!!

gATDQVP.jpg

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=436336

That is by far one of the dumbest decisions I've ever read.

In the NC, there's just a little light that pops on gently reminding you that you've run low. It's not even a filler pump. It's just a light that goes on inside the gas gauge.

In my 1994 Passat there was no warning light, but the fuel gauge was precise enough so that I routinely used up about 67 litres out of a 70-litre fuel tank. The only time I had a bit of trouble was when I needed to fill up in the middle of the night and most fuel stations were closed. I ended up filling up 73.5 litres.
Precise gauges are really not rocket science if VW was able to build them over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't beep if I put the key in it either. I don't understand why you'd need a buzzer for that. I know the key is in the ignition, I just put it there.

What my car does, however, is go *didong* and mute the audio for a couple of seconds while the bluetooth is pairing up to my phone. This happens a few seconds after starting the car, exactly when I realize that I:
1) like the song that's playing, or
2) find the news or whatever's on the radio interesting.
I think the key in ignition reminder is a NHTSA requirement for theft prevention or something.

In the NC, there's just a little light that pops on gently reminding you that you've run low. It's not even a filler pump. It's just a light that goes on inside the gas gauge.

My XTerra is the same way, there is just a small round amber light near the fuel gauge. I think I've only let it come on a handful of times since I've owned the car.

I don't play this game in the 944. With no hatch, that sucker spins out really easily under half a tank. It gets two hours of race time max before I pull it in to fill back up to full.

My VW is quite precise. Well, this actually means the half-tank happens always when the same amount of fuel has been burnt, that the quarter-tank means about 50 more km until the yellow light and that the yellow light happens when only 5 litres are left.

But to be safe, I never push it beyond the yellow light.

My moped, on the other hand, is... somewhat artistic.

It tells you if you have a full tank. Or 3/4 tank. When you are at 1/2 full, it suddenly lights the yellow light and drop to zero, only to come back after a while to where I think it was supposed to be, turning the yellow light off. And then it goes again after a while, and comes back, and goes... And you can't really tell how much fuel you have left; you only know that the more time it stays in the "dead empty" position, the less fuel you have. It's always a game of skill and courage to decide whether to stopa dn refuel or to go on. Thrilling!