Nissan Skyline GTR '09

Uhhh no. It's the laws that make them common place. If the car Mercedes didn't get all pissy in the 80's about people importing cars people wanted, the US would be flooded with the damn things.

I hear more and more about canada getting quite a lot of GT-R's and early silvia/180sx's due to the 15 year laws.

New Zealand has even slacker laws than us (you see cars that have gone to new zealand, sat there for a year in a warehouse then are imported here to get around importation restrictions)

New Zealand has even slacker laws than us (you see cars that have gone to new zealand, sat there for a year in a warehouse then are imported here to get around importation restrictions)

How does that work?

I know NZ basically takes the stance "if it's Japanese it's ok." Didn't they used to have some pretty harsh laws on anything not made on the islands or in OZ to support car manufacturing in you're area of the world?

How does that work?

I know NZ basically takes the stance "if it's Japanese it's ok." Didn't they used to have some pretty harsh laws on anything not made on the islands or in OZ to support car manufacturing in you're area of the world?

It's to do with if the model is available here or not, most jap stuff can be imported with minor modifcations (stuff like seatbelts etc)

How does that work?

Uh not anymore!

Basically everything in New Zealand has to comply with the 1996 onwards safty rules. So airbags and the like have to be added. Somebody double check me on this, since I think there may have been a change last year.

As with our laws here (Australia), we have the 15 year old rule, which got turned into the 20 year rule now, which means anything goes, but it has to be RHD. This rule was originally ment for 2 door cars only, but the dipshits who wanted EVO's and the like (4 door cars) got it changed. People started importing family cars, utes and commercial vehicles which got all the major car makers and importers here upset. So it got changed. So blame the idiots who wanted their w**k w**k rally weapons :censored:

Anything younger you have to run under the RAWS system which basically means it gets modded to our safety standards (eg side impact bars, seatbelt mount points, light transmission through glass etc etc ) and has to have a emmisions check etc. This is quite expensive and is normally done in volumes of 10+ cars.

Cars that go under the RAWS system are like R34 GTR's and GT-T's, Stagea's, Chasers etc etc. The only limitation is that the car cannot have been sold here when it was brand new. Eg I want a Alfa Romeo 33 P4 and by law I cannot import one because they where sold here new. Since they only sold 54 of them here and people don't want to part with them, so I'm kinda screwed.....

As far as the import rules and regs go, the main pressure on the rules comes from the importers like Nissan and Toyota because they know that if they let anything in somebody may undercut them.

You also have the personal import scheme, which is if you have owned the car oversea's for more than 12 months and can prove it via registration and prove that you used it, you can import it with a simple check of the exhaust noise. Quite literally anything goes :)

And then we have limited permits etc, so you can drive whatever you have overhere for a while and take it back. :) Most of the Classic Adelaide people do this, thats why over Chistmas and new years there are a lot of cool machines around here ;)

//Having a contact on the Automotive standards board it great :)

Oh also the Americans didn't sign the UN charter on harmonization of vehicle standards so any car that wasn't made to comply with the US FMVSS rules its a bitch to make it comply. Aslo your OBDI rules and the like are a pain. Australia runs on the European emmision rules.

Sorry for that post guys!!!!!

Oh also the Americans didn't sign the UN charter on harmonization of vehicle standards so any car that wasn't made to comply with the US FMVSS rules its a bitch to make it comply. Aslo your OBDI rules and the like are a pain. Australia runs on the European emmision rules.

We've been on OBDII since '96, part of the reason an R33 and R34 are a bit of a bitch to get imported.

It still pisses me off that we didn't jump on the UN charter, but the NHTSA (the group that sets the FMVSS rules) was basically organized by "the big 3" and made everything using all our standards and with stupid rules that made things like proper headlights illegal without approval from the NHTSA. This obviously was done to protect the domestic companies.

We used to have a personal import law, I don't know exactly how it worked, but I know plenty of Mercedes-Benz's in the early 80's were imported under this law until Mercedes went to the NHTSA and gave them some BS about being unsafe. :mad: Though if there is "a US equivalent" then it makes importing/converting a car much easier. Though anything RHD is instantly not equivalent.

Last edited:
holiday3.jpg

holiday4.jpg

Some more technical info about the new GT-R:

Engine is a VR38 (not part of the VQ family)
Holiday Auto have reportedly been told that the engine appearing in the new GT-R has a ?VR? designation, leading them to believe that it has a strong connection to the VRH35L from the Nissan R390 that contested the Le Mans 24 Hour endurance race!

3.8L twin turbo V6

480 hp @ 6800rpm

430 ft-lbs @ 1700 - 5600 rpm

Engine will feature: magnesium cam covers, timing chain case and oil pan, aluminium intake manifold, carbon fiber hood, titanium intake valves, magnesium alloy exhaust valves.

There is even mention of the engine being designed for a maximum power output of 600ps, but being detuned to 480ps for production.

http://www.7tune.com/?p=88

Where'd they get their info? There's been so much speculation I won't believe a damn thing until it's in a Nissan Press Release.

Where'd they get their info? There's been so much speculation I won't believe a damn thing until it's in a Nissan Press Release.

Apparently, from a Japanese auto magazine. But yes, this is still more speculation and rumor at best.