No, I'm not making this up

I don't Lambo gives a shit about being an exclusive supercar manufacturer... they are a company looking for profit just like any other car manufacturer out there... so if they see a market where they can profit... why not?

Anyway... For sheer performance that might be a call, too. Just look at the 535d: despite its lack of power compared to the 545i, said 545i cannot get rid of it in pure acceleration before 80 mph. And neither can it at all when it comes to in gear acceleration.

Economy apart, this may well be for performance only. Now has VAG broken the 5k redline before BMW which is working on it too?

Time will tell. However the V10 in its current form is a nono.

Oh, and BTW, the current V10 of the Gallardo uses the block of the V10 TDI.

Doesn't surprise me at all. VAG are frontrunners of the diesel engine development. It'll be interesting to see what technology they use in it. But I believe this is more of a publicity stunt, you know, to get diesels image sportier

I don't see anything wrong with this... Since I can't really criticise the technology part. Even if the redline is only at 5000 rpm it ain't a huge problem as long as the power figures can be made high enough and there will be some available even at low revs. I think the exhaust department will have a job cut out for them, trying to make the sound at least somewhat similar to sportscars.

maybe lambo might pull it off getting rid of the diesel high-compression sound... if it sounds like a real lambo and goes almost as quick... it would be a real success

In order to make up the 191 horsepower deficit, Lamborghini may increase turbo pressure or add an additional turbocharger.

But it's a twin turbo, so that woud make 3 then ? :?

Gallardo owners don't care about fuel prices, and even if they did, this would still be a silly move. Diesel prices are rising, and that won't stop just yet. Pollution is much higher with diesel engines, and with all this environment blah going on, I don't see how we could benefit from a diesel supercar (more or less the only type of car which had been "saved" until now). Ten years from now, this diesel hype will fade. And the Lamborghini name, if they do this, will be stained.

andyhui01 said:
I don't Lambo gives a shit about being an exclusive supercar manufacturer... they are a company looking for profit just like any other car manufacturer out there... so if they see a market where they can profit... why not?

I think youre very wrong. Lambo is not about profit, its about supercars with supercar performance and supercar looks. Now it is also a place for Audi to show of.

If Lambo is only concerned about making money, they'd make a small hatchback 1.2 for asian and southern american countries, thats wehere you can make money now.

If Lambo ever puts a Diesel in a car, its to show what a Diesel could or should be like. It would be for a show off. They dont care about fuel consumption or eco-friendly gadgets. Come on, for crying out loud, its Lamborghini. Its governed buy Audi and VW. Let Skoda do the cheap eco stuff, and let Lambo do what they do best.

I think thats what they're thinking.
"Lamborghini Plada 1.6i LUX" <Sounds wrong eyh?

Overheat said:
Diesel supercars!!! - whatever next?

The new Toyota Prius will have a top speed of 200 mph and 0-60 in 2.5 seconds

That's the end of the world! :p

imillman said:
In order to make up the 191 horsepower deficit, Lamborghini may increase turbo pressure or add an additional turbocharger.

But it's a twin turbo, so that woud make 3 then ? :?

I guess that would rather be two more - or even dual stage turbocharging. Now _that_ would be something: more than 100 bhp/l from a 5 liter Diesel engine... Opel has done it already with its prototype Vectra OPC (1.9l turbo Diesel, dual stage turbocharging, 212 bhp@4400rpm, 440 Nm@1400rpm - that's more than 110 bhp/l and 220 Nm/l!).

toyota is researching on making a high-end sportscar with the same concept as the toyota prius engine and the performance is in par with cars like porsche 911 turbos and stuff

andyhui01 said:

toyota is researching on making a high-end sportscar with the same concept as the toyota prius engine and the performance is in par with cars like porsche 911 turbos and stuff

Yep, according to the article I pointed to BTW it's rumored to be based on the Volta. And Honda is supposed to make the next NSX use IMA...

If you are not a car nut, this may make perfect sense to you...

I mean, what does the average Joe know about Diesel? He thinks it makes small cars go faster than the petrol versions without really revving them high... Among those people this may seem as a good concept...

Still, my personal opinion is, build it, but don't start to wonder if nobody will buy it... If you have the the money for a lambo you don't care that it uses 5-10 litre less than the petrol one...
And you won't buy it because its a really great piece of engineering...

Buba

Buba said:
If you are not a car nut, this may make perfect sense to you...

I mean, what does the average Joe know about Diesel? He thinks it makes small cars go faster than the petrol versions without really revving them high... Among those people this may seem as a good concept...

Still, my personal opinion is, build it, but don't start to wonder if nobody will buy it... If you have the the money for a lambo you don't care that it uses 5-10 litre less than the petrol one...
And you won't buy it because its a really great piece of engineering...

Buba

Well I am a car nut you see, and as a car nut, what I see is what the 535d achieves, even apart from the mileage figures. From a pure performance point, and if well made, this Gallardo could give lots of performance cars a run for their money.

And then it's not that new. Remember the Merc C111?

Well, I heard they were making a Diesel Audi TT as well...

Can't see the point of it, people who can afford a Lambo aren't interested in gas milage they want performance, there is no way a diesel car no matter how impressive would be as good so I can't see anyone buying it.

Dr. Woo: Well, I heard they were making a Diesel Audi TT as well...

Can belive that! The yalready do the A4 convertible as a Tdi... Are they starting it with the next gen TT or with the current one?

Buba

qube said:
Can't see the point of it, people who can afford a Lambo aren't interested in gas milage they want performance, there is no way a diesel car no matter how impressive would be as good so I can't see anyone buying it.

Wake up, this is 2005 and Diesels have come a looong, long way. Just look at the 535d: despite its 61 bhp disadvantage to the 545i it accelerates just as fast to 60, loses only 1 second to 120 and 1.2s to the kilometer, while achieving the same in gear acceleration figures. And it's only a 3 liter engine.

Stick the same bhp/l and Nm/l figures into a 5 liter and you end up with more than 450 bhp and more than 930 Nm.

i still think it's stupid

why did they put research in the engines? if they'd put that amount of money in a regular petrol engine, it would be way better than a diesel engine 3l bigger