Game: No Man's Sky

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Why playstation? It's coming to PC too.

But yes, the concept is exciting. However, like with all sandboxy games, I'm wondering where the game is after the initial "honeymoon period". Once you've seen the primary mechanics that the game supports (ie: seen a few worlds and know what to expect in the next ones) there needs to be some reason to keep playing. I haven't seen much of that in the hype so far. Getting to the center of the galaxy (universe?) doesn't sound like a very interesting goal.

So you can explore new worlds, spot new alien species and extract the natural resources, but as far as I can tell, you only do any of that for more money. It's no Minecraft. What's the money for? New ship and weapons? What for?

Even a sandbox needs a story, or an adversary, or very extensive mechanisms for creativity and self-expression (emergent gameplay). If it's just a sandbox with nothing in it and a minimal toolset it will entertain for a very short time.

Also this one is a prime candidate for a game that could really use a quality AI companion. I'm not sure if they're planning to have co-op but let's face it, not many people have real life buddies who would a) have a matching daily schedule and b) dedicate tens of hours to a game like this. I fear that after a while, an open ended universe exploration game would be a pretty miserable experience alone.

Last edited:
It looks cool but so do a million other early access sandbox games. I'm waiting for one of them to actually release and be worth playing. Jupix is spot on about there needing to be something to do beyond pure exploration (otherwise Minecraft would be a game about walking in a straight line as the world is near-infinitely procedurally generated).

That's all well and good but that guy is not the reason Minecraft is successful.

That's all well and good but that guy is not the reason Minecraft is successful.

True, but as the creator of NMS said several times, he totally expects that there will be a subset of players that will do nothing by try to fly from one edge of the universe to the other stopping at every planet along the way, while others may never leave the planet they start on and just try to walk around the whole thing. I know that if I get this game, I likely will be in the group that will just try to go as far as possible while spending 10 minutes per planet.

It's interesting and I'll definitely get it (we've also talked about it on our podcast before and probably will again), but I hope it has some sort of narrative or at least driving goal, unlike Elite Dangerous.

Which makes no gameplay difference compared to having 100,000. Once there's more map than you can ever visit, I'm more interested in what there is to do rather than what there is to see.

Fair enough.

I actually just realized part of the reason I don't play GTA as much anymore is because I've already been everywhere. Sure theres more stuff to do, but I've driven every car and seen every corner of the map. Thats why I get really excited when DLCs are released because that means new cars to try out.

There sure is some cool tech and impressive dedication going to this world generator. I hope they succeed in building an actual game on top of it...

New trailer ends with a release month! June 2016

[video=youtube;eBERVWYa-1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBERVWYa-1Y[/video]

Looks like I'll be using this year's bonus to build a PC.

[video=youtube;D-uMFHoF8VA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA[/video]

I really need this game.

I think I'll get it when it comes out, but I have a feeling it'll get boring soon. Depends on how much gameplay they've put into the game. Just travelling won't be interesting enough, probably.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-delayed-report/1100-6440188/

No Man's Sky Delayed - Report

[Update] TechRadar has said "two independent sources" have also verified the delay. They did not, however, confirm the extent of the delay.

No Man's Sky now won't come out until July or August at the earliest, according to the report.

"A second source, who works at GameStop, said they received marketing materials today for No Man's Sky with the original June 21 release date. However, stores were informed that the release date is no longer correct and that they should cover it up with a 'Coming Soon' label."

You can see an image of this message here at Kotaku. Neither Sony nor Hello Games responded to Kotaku's request for comment.

Officially, No Man's Sky is due out for PS4 and PC on June 21 in North America, June 22 in Europe, and June 24 in the UK. We'll update this post as new information becomes available.