Game: No Man's Sky

So popular that it's apparently taken down the site? :lol:

Works fine now.

But all of this NMS stuff has me so sad. I was so excited for it, it looked amazing and then shat on the floor.

Works fine now.

But all of this NMS stuff has me so sad. I was so excited for it, it looked amazing and then shat on the floor.

I think it could be a turning point for this whole pre-order super hype culture we have cultivated... it's not worth it, puts extra pressure on developers, makes them rush things out (previously we only expected rushed products by out-of-touch big publishers like EA or Activision).
The game is not inherently bad, it's just a badly cooked pie. It needed a lot more time in the oven. I'm sure they didn't mean to lie about features, it was just a matter of not having enough time to do them, I mean, they gotten death threats because they said they needed a couple more months, like someone was entitled for this video game to exist when they decided, and not when the devs decided.

I think it could be a turning point for this whole pre-order super hype culture we have cultivated...

Yeah it could be a turning point, like all the other prerelease hype monster trainwrecks before it, but it won't be. In all likelihood, the same audience who preordered this without thinking, will forget about NMS before the next game like it enters the hype phase. And if the interval between fiascos-in-the-making is long enough, then there's a whole new generation of na?ve gamer kids to exploit. The publishers laugh all the way to the bank regardless.

Edit: I should clarify something. By "without thinking" I mean the problems with the game were painfully obvious more than a year ago. It only took some critical thinking and looking at the materials available to see that there wasn't any substance to the game. I hate to say "I told you so", but...

Last edited:
I have never preordered a game. It just does not make sense to me.

I have never preordered a game. It just does not make sense to me.

And with digital distribution, it makes even less sense.

Don't be sad, you can either get your money back or wait until the missing features are added back in. And I hope this will silence the people condemning Star Citizen's delays. This is what happens when you rush a product out the door.

Speaking of which, SC is progressing quite nicely. After seeing what's coming at the end of the year, I am quite confident in suggesting other people to pledge for this game.

/off topic

I guess I'm an optimist and perhaps overestimate consumer's intelligence/discipline. This is why I am a terrible salesman, I look at products which I know are complete garbage and think, this can never be pushed on to someone... but then... crocs.

Star Citizen looks awesome, but they have also promised the moon and I'm just watching to see how it plays out. If they catch up to Elite Dangerous I am on board. But that's hard to measure, as both NMS and ED have taken a different approach: establish the world (galaxy/universe), then gradually come up with things to do in it. Star Citizen is establishing the core gameplay, then gradually building a world around it.

The main difference is, CIG is completely transparent about the development process as they have released THOUSANDS of hours of video footage about it.

So knowing nothing about SC and a very minimal amount about ED, I just Googled screenshots, and my biggest beef with them (and pretty much all other games in the genre) is the color pallet used. Its all very dark, and yes, space is pitch black, but why the plants? At least NMS has gorgeous bright colorful planets, and not bleak monotone landscapes taken out of the grey/beige/tan spectrum.

Still on the gloomier side of things. Compared to

khY5RnV.jpg

Yes, because those colours don't appear in nature. There's a difference between a movie and a cartoon.

Yes, because those colours don't appear in nature. There's a difference between a movie and a cartoon.

Its a fantasy game about exploring fictional planets, who are you to say what colors do and don't appear in nature. Plus I don't see anything overly absurd there.

Also, the following are all photographs taken right here on Earth.

FOhQ4FGl.jpg

RreEt0Ol.jpg

Ib5Nn7bl.jpg

FLrmaQDl.jpg

QB6r2Ebl.jpg

kjfghUMl.jpg

h8uPyq8l.jpg

You tell me that in the infinite probability of space there aren't planets full of formations and atmospheric conditions like that?

Yes, let's all get mad about differing art styles.