Nurburgring Webcam

Ive seen this car (or something veeeeeeeeeery similar) ages ago at Zolder too. It raped pretty much everything on the track, which at the time included Vipers, Lotuses (Lotii?) and an old CAN-AM car too

I was like :eek:

You're right, thats definitely on street rubber in that pic, I've just brightened it up in CS2 to check. Beautiful car, though.

you anorak :mrgreen:

What I can tell you is that I?ve seen this car at the ring several times already (assuming it?s the same one, it?s hard to tell from a webcam picture and without being a jag-anorak). It was there during the tourist sessions, which implies that it has to be road legal somewhere, although I don?t remember what country it was registered in. It also has semi-slick tires, and unlike many of the other nice cars that just show up at the parking lot for show and shine, this one actually goes round, so I?m thinking it?s probably not a 2 million dollar original...

edit: I found this, it doesn?t look like it has semislicks, but feel free to go nuts
IMGP9774.JPG

You're right, thats definitely on street rubber in that pic, I've just brightened it up in CS2 to check. Beautiful car, though.

Thanks for the better pic. It looks like one of the Lynx or other replicas, and the UK number plate doesn't match up with any of the known surviving D-Types to boot. The closest one is D-Type #1 with a plate of "OVC 501" - this one has a plate that's probably inspired by it.

Also, ANY modern street performance tire is probably going to be worlds better than the rubber technology the design shipped with in 1954. For example, by modern standards, an all-original one would be running on something like 185/70R16s. Being a replica, it's probably using 235 or 245/65 rubber, which is going to give it a heck of a lot more grip than the design had originally - and that's saying a lot.

I've driven a D-Type replica similar to that one, and let me tell you, it was one of the most fun drives I've ever had on four wheels. Still mindbendingly fast, the modernization of the tires makes it a joy to throw into turns, and the original design's brilliance really shines.

Ive seen this car (or something veeeeeeeeeery similar) ages ago at Zolder too. It raped pretty much everything on the track, which at the time included Vipers, Lotuses (Lotii?) and an old CAN-AM car too

Never underestimate an old pure race car design on the track. :D Especially not one that could and did spank a 4.9L Ferrari back in its time. After it left LeMans competition, it was still a serious competitor in other venues well into the 60s. And, unlike other makers, the tech from the D-Type did make it into other production cars - the head on my Series III is a direct copy of one of the D-Type's racing head designs.

That guy really should consider getting a replica of the D-Type's LeMans fin fitted to it if he wants to go to the Ring regularly - the originals needed the fin for high speed stability on the straight both there and at LeMans as the car would crack 160-170mph with surprising ease. On the other hand, maybe the better tires fix the problem.

See http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk/index.php?page=/reviews/revivaldtype.php for someone else's opinion.

Last edited:
Also, ANY modern street performance tire is probably going to be worlds better than the rubber technology the design shipped with in 1954. For example, by modern standards, an all-original one would be running on something like 185/70R16s. Being a replica, it's probably using 235 or 245/65 rubber, which is going to give it a heck of a lot more grip than the design had originally - and that's saying a lot.

I see what you're saying, though I must say that if I were going to be racing a car like that, I wouldn't risk running on street tyres. If you have the advantage of newer technologies available, and you have the money for a D-Type (even a replica), surely he an afford ?80/tyre for some cut slicks? Or ?30/tyre for some decent, performance street tyres?

Meh, I just don't trust street tyres. As progressive as they are, they always melt, and then they're awful.

I have a suspicion that he probably drove the car there, so that means he couldn't bring an extra set of tires and wheels with him - and race rubber is a bad idea on the street.

On top of that, the peculiar profile of the 16" wheels they used on those cars (and almost always use on the replicas) means that the selection of real race rubber is very limited. And they're usually replicas of the ancient tech tires that originally came on the car. What he should do is fit more modern 17" wheels to the car; he'd be better off then.

I have a suspicion that he probably drove the car there, so that means he couldn't bring an extra set of tires and wheels with him - and race rubber is a bad idea on the street.

Well again, to drive in the tourist sessions he would need to have road legal tires on the car. And normal semislicks are perfectly fine for driving on the road, they?re not even that bad in the wet, the only problem is heavy rain, and standing water...

Looks like the car is like that too. :eek:

I take it you've tried R888s then? :lol:

Kumho v-something (70 I think) :) but only briefly...

but I?m considering a set of R888s or Michelin Sport Cups for next season, all depends on wether or not I can find a cheap set of 15" rims for them :mrgreen:

What PCD/Width/Offset are you looking for? I'll keep an eye out for you. I haven't tried the Kumhos, but I loved the R888s and A048s. I've got some Dunlop Formula R's to try soon so I'll see what they're like.

well I need 4/100, I haven?t really looked into what kind of offset would be best, but the ats dtc, which is my current favorite has 35. Still a bit expensive though... I?ve been looking for used stuff on ebay, but it?s hard to find something for my car...

The dunlops are relatively new right? What sort of price range are they in? The Toyos are slightly cheaper than the Michelins, and all the people I know that drive and love the french tires all have RWD cars, while the r888 seems to be really common on fwd cars. There?s also the Federal rs-whatever, but the oppinions I?ve heard range from totally great to utter crap...

Handy that, MX5s are 4x100 and ET35 as standard, I'll let you know if anything comes up on the boards cheaply. Its also the same PCD/Offset as Civics, Starlets and Golfs too, if that helps.

I'm not sure how new the Dunlops are in all honesty, I have a second-hand, barely-used set. I'll let you know what I think of the, but R888s definitely get a thumbs up from me, especially for the money. A048s are the better tyre, but they're also twice the price.

Handy that, MX5s are 4x100 and ET35 as standard, I'll let you know if anything comes up on the boards cheaply

that?d be great :thumbup:

Problem is though, even though lots of cars use the same sort of rims, I live in germany, which makes things quite complicated as far as keeping it road legal... the T?V is really anal about these things... :rolleyes:

that?d be great :thumbup:

Problem is though, even though lots of cars use the same sort of rims, I live in germany, which makes things quite complicated as far as keeping it road legal... the T?V is really anal about these things... :rolleyes:

Hah, I know what you mean. I got torn a new arsehole by Nurburg Motorsport when I first visited, even though it had just passed a UK MOT the month before. It seems the UK MOTs arent even half as strict as a TUV. :D

^^
<sabine>

"I do zat time in a... errr... ze tracked thing... with ze scooping arm... err... bit..."

</sabine>

Hah, I know what you mean. I got torn a new arsehole by Nurburg Motorsport when I first visited, even though it had just passed a UK MOT the month before. It seems the UK MOTs arent even half as strict as a TUV. :D
from what I?ve seen, uk mot and the T?V are in a completely different galaxy...

but what the hell was their problem with your car? The german cops can?t really do much to you, because your car is registered in a different country, and the ring-people don?t usually say anything unless there is something seriously dangerous going on with your car...

There was a fairly hefty list, which was partly my fault, as a new job I took on 6 months previous meant the only thing I'd changed on the car was the oil. The other parties at fault were the two UK garages I took it to prior to the trip, one for the MOT, the other for an inspection. Usually I'd do this stuff myself, and now I've been made redundant from that job, I'll continue doing it myself, hah.

The largest problems were a seized N/S rear brake caliper (which I had noticed in fairness, as the car really dives to one side under heavy-braking), and the top mount from the same corner had ovalled. That, and my coilovers really aren't suitable for areas like Flugplatz. I've literally signed up for the Air Force this afternoon, so while I'm in training for the next 7 months, I'll be completely rebuilding the suspension and brakes.