Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

Except Mercedes has a very strong heritage in grand prix racing and pretty much Mercedes and Alfred Neubauer invented the formula for running a succesful grand prix team.

I think you're too extreme. Teams like Mercedes and Ferrari has the passion in spades. It's not like they're Toyota..........

The 2010 grid at this rate is going to have a decidely A1GP feel to it methinks

:lmao:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFWONEWWU8[/YOUTUBE]

This rather interesting shot was briefly on Merc GP's Wikipedia page.
http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/1851/mercedesgrandprixsilver.jpg
No idea as to it's provenance, but it looks rather cool.

Upon further reflection, Mercedes buying out Brawn GP really annoys me because that means that there is one less independent team, a team that exists just for racing. Also, for me, owning your own F1 team would be my ultimate goal especially one where it's my name on the car. Now it's a corporate blank face, it's not Ross Brawn and Nick Fry but the whole Mercedes company. The same company that metaphorically raped Chrysler, leaving it a shattered husk of what it was. No longer can I relate the plight of the ruins of the Honda team being resurrected by Ross Brawn and having a killer of a season because I can no longer see Brawn as the head of the team but instead a single faceless, grey blob. Drivers that will thank the sponsors and give uniform responses to questions asked by the media. Brawn GP was a team that I would have wanted to work for, knowing that I'm not some employee number, but a functioning and respected part of the team who contributes valuable information towards vehicle development. Not having to submit my ideas into a corporate board meeting where all of the bigwigs will decide if my idea is beneficial for the team and the company and their image. I believe that in a small team, engineers are allowed to be much more creative and are allowed to interpret the regulations as freely as they want because they don't have a board worrying that the governing body might deem pieces on the car illegal because that would ruin the company's reputation.
Look at it this way, McLaren is now a independent team, in time to come ?

hahaha I just watched Norbert Haugs Mercedes GP interview.

he sounds like Michael Schumacher, obviously, and Nico Rosberg together. They must have an F1 german public speaking class, to which Haug, Michael, Nico, and Seb have graduated from...
For sure. But his english is GOOD, better than what I expected.

Mercedes GP will probably be badass, but they are complete fags (yes, loud Harley drivers) for going all German with their drivers, which neither have really achieved nothing.

But I'm sure bringing the good old Tom and Jerry rivalry back will result in hilarious youtube comments. Damn Krauts.

Going to be the worst season in ages though. Nothing but corporate molded cardboard drivers on the grid anymore.

Plus Bridgestone making the tires narrower when they should be made wider and the fact that the silly two compound rule is still there.

Not a bad looking car for Mercedes GP but still kind'a white'ish and probably will be even worse with sponsor stickers.

In other news, it seems SPA got a new license, this one valid until 2011, so at least two more GPs.

Last edited:
Kimi seems to only be after the money, so I wont miss him.

Happy about Button to McLaren. Its gonna be interesting to see his raw pace vs Lewis.

McLaren losing Mercedes = a major lol from me.

Except for McLaren did not lose Mercedes, bot got rid of them - it was a management buy-out from McLaren's side, planned by Ron Dennis since the season started.

Mercedes GP will probably be badass, but they are complete fags (yes, loud Harley drivers) for going all German with their drivers, which neither have really achieved nothing.

I still don't really buy this "all-german" thing. I don't think having two drivers without a single GP win really fits Mercedes concept. I think the Schumacher story is bullshit, based on nothing but german tabloids dropping Schumacher's name whenever a seat with a german-related team is open (not unlike them calling from Lothar Matth?us every time a german soccer team fires it's manager).
Ross Brawn massively outfoxed himself, putting his money on Button staying with his team no matter what. Now a race-winning, championship material teammate for Rosberg has to be found, preferrably one who is know for his loyalty to Mercedes....

...wait a second...
-experienced driver
-known loyalty to Mercedes
-race winner, multiple world champion

That's not Schumi, that's:
Mika_Hakkinen_1999_Canada.jpg

I know he retired two years ago, but he's a perfect match.

Ross Brawn massively outfoxed himself, putting his money on Button staying with his team no matter what. Now a race-winning, championship material teammate for Rosberg has to be found, preferrably one who is know for his loyalty to Mercedes....

...wait a second...
-experienced driver
-known loyalty to Mercedes
-race winner, world champion

That's not Schumi, that's:
Kimi Raikkonen

^honestly I think kimi should take that seat I know they won't be paying what he wants but come on he's getting 20 mil just to leave ferrari. I'm sure one year on 4 mil won't hurt him. The car is also possibly a contender I mean bgp001 was a botch job ( wrong engine wrong cooling wrong gearbox placement) and it still had the legs on most of the field at the end. With those corrected and he best engine in the biz I reckon that car will have a very good chance.

For me, after mclaren I reckon brawn is probably the next best place for him to go realistically.

C'mon kimi sacrifice the huge salary just for one year! drive for brawn! Who knows it could be a title contender

No, Kimi shouldn't sacrifice that massive pay by Ferrari. And it looks like he is fully aware of his options, that's called intelligent thinking.

Agreeing to a ridiculous < 10m salary would be the daft move.

Plus a gap year means absolutely nothing to top drivers. Alain Prost & Niki Lauda both pulled it off in the past, along with many other great drivers.

Last edited:
Agreeing to a ridiculous < 10m salary would be the daft move.

Depends what your motives are. Many F1 drivers would PAY to race a competitive car if they had to. If Kimi wants to make money, then it is indeed a daft move. If he wants to race an F1 car more than anything else in the world, walking away because of money is foolish.

To be honest, I think the real reason he walked away is because he wants to drive, but he doesn't really give a toss if it's an F1 car or something else...

Depends what your motives are. Many F1 drivers would PAY to race a competitive car if they had to. If Kimi wants to make money, then it is indeed a daft move. If he wants to race an F1 car more than anything else in the world, walking away because of money is foolish.

To be honest, I think the real reason he walked away is because he wants to drive, but he doesn't really give a toss if it's an F1 car or something else...

x2 :)