Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Brawn had to shorten the car to fit the Mercedes engines in. Also saying that the double diffusers is the only reason Brawn was dominant early is like saying Red Bull was dominant because of their flexy front wings. Only one trick does not make a magic show and it takes more than one highly developed area to make a car so dominant, when all the pieces come together and work in unison then that is when a car is at the top of it's game.

Then explain how such a competitive package translated into a very shitty Mercedes 2010? Honestly that double diffuser gave them half a second a lap of advantage to everyone else. It was a lucky strike and nothing else, it was Honda for crying out loud, they've been trying since the mid 2000s to be competitive and they failed, hence they pulled out. It's not lie they had slowly built up their performance and it peaked in 2009 as Brawn - they sucked.

Then explain how such a competitive package translated into a very shitty Mercedes 2010?

Early season 2009 was a situation very reminiscent of years like 1988, where most of the field gets it wrong in terms of car development and design. This time, resources and everything enabled everyone to catch up to and overtake the once-dominant team in terms of pace by the end of the season, and the trend continued for 2010, aided by the fact that Brawn/Merc went in a wrong direction for developing the 2010 car off the 2009 car.

Early season 2009 was a situation very reminiscent of years like 1988, where most of the field gets it wrong in terms of car development and design. This time, resources and everything enabled everyone to catch up to and overtake the once-dominant team in terms of pace by the end of the season, and the trend continued for 2010, aided by the fact that Brawn/Merc went in a wrong direction for developing the 2010 car off the 2009 car.

This is what I'm trying to say, that extreme rule changes bring sometimes situations like Brawn 09 where one team has a lucky idea that works out much better than everyone else.
2010 wasn't THAT much like it... admittedly the RBR car was the fastest because it had a great aero package, but when that package didn't have clean air to work properly in front of it, the car bogged down, not a great overtaker; and reliability issues. The RBR was the best car of 2010 cos of the development effort, the Brawn was the best of 09 cos of a lucky call. Just imagine where in the final scores it'd ended if the dual deck diffuser was deemed illegal.

This is what I'm trying to say, that extreme rule changes bring sometimes situations like Brawn 09 where one team has a lucky idea that works out much better than everyone else.
2010 wasn't THAT much like it... admittedly the RBR car was the fastest because it had a great aero package, but when that package didn't have clean air to work properly in front of it, the car bogged down, not a great overtaker; and reliability issues. The RBR was the best car of 2010 cos of the development effort, the Brawn was the best of 09 cos of a lucky call. Just imagine where in the final scores it'd ended if the dual deck diffuser was deemed illegal.

Wasn't that really, Brawn were not the only team with double-diffuser, yet Toyota hasn't won a race, and Williams performed mediocre'ish, as usual. The boost Toyota got out of the diffuser only lasted three races, where they scored high points and podiums, then it disappeared, while Button and Rubens kept on winning all the way to Italy.

Last edited:
Wasn't that really, Brawn were not the only team with double-diffuser, yet Toyota hasn't won a race, and Williams performed mediocre'ish, as usual.

Their DDs were different. Brawn got it right, they didn't. Simple as that.

Their DDs were different. Brawn got it right, they didn't. Simple as that.

If three out of ten teams got the idea, and only one of them got it right, while Toyota with $500b budged couldn't, it no longer classifies as a lucky call.

If three out of ten teams got the idea, and only one of them got it right, while Toyota with $500b budged couldn't, it no longer classifies as a lucky call.

You can name a hundred clever ideas behind the RBR, name me 5 behind the Brawn?

You can name a hundred clever ideas behind the RBR, name me 5 behind the Brawn?

You don't need 100 clever ideas to get a winning car. But Brawn did have plenty. Firstly, they got the DDD right not by chance but because they understood it better. They also (much more importantly) came up with the snowplow front wing endplate design, which had a HUGE impact on lap times (some say 0.7 seconds). PLus they had the strong Mercedes engine, and had a suspension geometry excellent for keeping the tyres preseved.

and had a suspension geometry excellent for keeping the tyres preseved.

Which was one of the fundamental reasons for this years problems and also gave headaches to Brawn in some 2009 races.

I can't believe you people are really arguing that car was a stroke of genius instead of a lucky guess made right on the hour...
In any case, discussion over, let's move on to 2011.

Ricciardo almost as fast as Vettel's pole lap.I can't wait for this guy to be in F1, he will be Australia's next WDC.

yes, because I think the '10 season was Webber's last shot.

There's also the small matter of the track being rubbered-in a lot more, and a lot cleaner than it would have been for the F1 race itself. These two weeks are probably the most running that Yas Marina will ever see in any 10-day period of time.

Proof, Ricciardo's fastest lap today was more than one and a half seconds faster than the GP's pole-position time: 1:38.102. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88355

Does anyone else find it strange that the Hispania is putting in faster times than the Lotus? A car that I didn't even end development because they never really started it .

I can't believe you people are really arguing that car was a stroke of genius instead of a lucky guess made right on the hour...

It was a lucky strike and nothing else, it was Honda for crying out loud.

Fuck, you can really talk a lot of shit.

I'm sure that's what you meant when you have to write lengthy paragraphs to explain the pun :p

:lol: mpicco, don't even try...

Does anyone else find it strange that the Hispania is putting in faster times than the Lotus? A car that I didn't even end development because they never really started it .
Driver skill, perhaps.