Official: 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster unveiled

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Looks good, but it will never have the magic of the Gullwing doors for me.

Source: Autoblog

After the endless parade of rumors, conjecture, spy shots and even official information, Mercedes-Benz has finally dropped the full batch of details and photos of its latest flagship: the SLS AMG Roadster.

The new droptop loses the gullwing doors of its coupe counterpart, but those German engineers have gone to great lengths to ensure it loses nothing else in the process. Chopping the roof, fitting conventional doors, and stiffening the body as required results in a convertible that only weighs 88 lbs more than the coupe. The roof-available in black, red or beige-can be dropped or raised in just eleven seconds at speeds up to 31 mph.

Top speed is electronically limited in either position to 197 mph, while officially quoted acceleration times, for some reason, drop from 3.8 seconds in the gullwing coupe to 3.7 in the Roadster. Along with the convertible roof, Mercedes has also packed in a new electronically-controlled Adaptive AMG Sport Suspension, AMG Performance Media system to track and display vehicle telemetrics, and an AMG Drive Unit to control it all.

The Roadster ? which beats the anticipated convertible versions of the Ferrari 458 Italia, McLaren MP4-12C, Pagani Huayra and Lamborghini Aventador to market ? will be officially unveiled this fall at the Frankfurt Motor Show, around the same time that deliveries are set to begin Stateside.

37-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

27-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

43-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

44-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

25-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

23-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

22-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

10-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

46-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

47-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

05-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

04-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

12-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

13-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

63-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

64-sls-amg-roadsterofficial.jpg

Full Gallery Here

It's pretty damn nice, but without the gullwings, I'd really rather have an SL63 AMG and save a bunch of money. Or a SL65 AMG for probably the same price.

It's pretty damn nice, but without the gullwings, I'd really rather have an SL63 AMG and save a bunch of money. Or a SL65 AMG for probably the same price.

Yeah this....pretty much defeated the purpose of the SLS when the gullwings were removed >.<

I'm not a big fan of the hardtop, it just doesn't excite me all that much. Much rather take a F458. That being said...

This vehicle is one hell of a market entry! It's sexy, sleek, conservative but aggressive. I hate it, because I like it more than I want to. Difficult to justify any other purchase, really. If you want a high-end convertible, this is the one to get; till there is a 458 spyder.

Last edited:
I want this. Badly. :|

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Looks better than the hardtop (Which is amazing!) but I would still choose the hardtop any day of the week :)

I love it. The best looking Viper by far.