Official 2012 Porsche 911 images spill onto the internet

Seems like a long time ago when the 997 reigned supreme in GT2.

Well it never did, to be brutally honest, the old Ferrari 430 GT2 was always either ahead or right on its exhausts. And now with the new 458, plus Corvette and BMW... the 997 is a bit outclassed nowadays.

Last edited:
Sounds much more raw than the 997... Also, a shot of the 7-speed manual's gear lever...

9917-speed.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds a lot better than the 997.2 did and it's using pretty much the same engine(?)...

Sounds much more raw than the 997... [...]
I don?t think we should take this for true, it is a teaser-promo-clip. Who knows what sound that actually is ...

But if that were the sound, I would be a bit dissapointed. It would seem like they?ve tried to mask the typical flat-six porsche sound. The howl, if you know what I mean. It?s still there ... but underneath another, louder exhaust-note. I like the howl ... :cry:

Sounds much more raw than the 997... Also, a shot of the 7-speed manual's gear lever...

9917-speed.jpg

gearlever looks a bit weird. I wonder how easy it will be to mis-shift from 4th to 7th.

I wonder if you have to push down on the shifter to get it into the gate, like you would for reverse. I mean you certainly wouldn't be trying to shift quickly into 7th for any reason.

Interesting quote from the R&T preview article:

it is said to be 80 lbs lighter than the previous generation thanks to extensive use of. (insert lightweight material names here).. and adhesives instead of heavier fasteners.

Assuming these aren't attaching critical components to the car, it makes me assume by default they're referring to attachment of trim pieces.

Makes me wonder if these cars will hit the 2ndhand market with interior trim falling off all over the place.

Last edited:
Adhesives have come a long way, 3M's VHB tape is ridiculously strong and already used on plenty of production cars. Probably what they're using.