Official: BMW M goes diesel, introduces M550d, X5 M50d, X6 M50d

What's with all the Diesel love here? Engines that run out of steam at around 4k rpm (a powerband as narrow as in a VTEC engine but without any of the excitement), make dull (in the best of cases) noises and smell badly. Give me a proper petrol engine anyday.

Don't get me wrong but you must be American.

(no offense to the enlightened American forum members)

Last edited:
Not all americans think that the only place for diesel engines is under the hood of a Kenworth....

I know, hence the brackets.

But it's the only place in the world, where you can still get such statements.

What's with all the Diesel love here? Engines that run out of steam at around 4k rpm (a powerband as narrow as in a VTEC engine but without any of the excitement), make dull (in the best of cases) noises and smell badly. Give me a proper petrol engine anyday.

Nothing's wrong with running out of steam at 4k RPM when you're making all your torque by 1,200 RPM.

I think diesels are incredibly fun to drive in real actual driving situations than a petrol motor. With a diesel you have more available torque right off the line and you don't have to rev hard and sound like an idiot, attracting every cop within 2 blocks. Yes, on a track I'd rather have a petrol motor, but let's be honest. How many 5 series are going to be on a track?

No, I'm not American. I've been driving Diesel engined cars on a daily basis since I got my driver's license, that's what I don't get all this love towards them. Those cars are going to be very fast and efficient, but that's all. No great noise, no millimetrical throttle adjustability, not as much finesse as the greatest BMW petrol engines, not what a proper M car should be.

Before you talk any further, I recommend you trying out a 335d, a 535d or an A6 with the 3-liter diesel. Obviously you have never been near one by now.

Before you talk any further, I recommend you trying out a 335d, a 535d or an A6 with the 3-liter diesel. Obviously you have never been near one by now.

I don't have any doubt about those engines capabilities in terms of speed and frugality. I don't have any doubt either about a BMW 335i or a S4 3.0TFSI being nicer to drive.

Well, you know, I actually drove a 335i and a 335d and also a 535i and a 535d (all current models) and in each case I'm sorry having to say, that the diesel versions are the better engines in every aspect, except you want to use them on a track.

For en everyday car, I'm sorry, but screw exciting sound and high revs. What I want from an engine in a day to day car is lots of power from low revs, and a low fuel consumption. These diesels provide that better than pretty much any other engine.

For a track day, then you can give me a high-revving, fuel burning, exciting sounding monster.

My experience in large engines is very limited (Denmark being Denmark), the largest one I've driven is my fathers 2 liter diesel. I absolutely love the diesel characteristics. And one of those M550d Tourings.. Might just be the perfect car for me.

Well, you know, I actually drove a 335i and a 335d and also a 535i and a 535d (all current models) and in each case I'm sorry having to say, that the diesel versions are the better engines in every aspect, except you want to use them on a track.

Better in every aspect? Smoother? Better sounding? With a more pleasant/linear power delivery? Better for enjoying a sunday drive on a deserted winding road rather than for cruising in a lazy, even if it's done at very high speeds, manner? If they have managed that, good for then, in that case maybe these new cars will be deserving of their M badges, but having the choice, I'll always choose one of their petrol engined brothers even if that makes me a non enlightened car lover.

Last edited:
Better in every aspect? Smoother? Better sounding? With a more pleasant/linear power delivery? Better for enjoying a sunday drive on a deserted winding road rather than for cruising in a lazy, even if it's done at very high speeds, manner?

Yes to all that in my opinion. The 335i has a nice exhaust note but from inside the car you don't get much of it. The big diesels, though, have a throaty, grumbling sound, that much more says "power", than the high-reving petrols:

If they have managed that, good for then, in that case maybe these new cars will be deserving of their M badges, but having the choice, I'll always choose one of their petrol engined brothers even if that makes me a non enlightened car lover.

Suit yourself.

Last edited:

Sigh, I feel like I'm literally explaining how awesome diesels engines are to friends at least once a week. And how much more awesome they are than hybrids. America needs to learn that the diesels of today aren't remotely like the dirty diesels of yesteryear (i.e. the 80's).

Last time I was at an auto show I literally chatted with a Merc rep for 10 min about how much diesels rock.

Modern diesels are better everyday engines than their gas counterparts. They produce more useful power in a more appropriate rev-range, and do so far more efficiently. They don't sound like a V8, but neither do turbo-4s.
Living in Europe also conditions oneself a bit, so diesels in bigger cars like an A6 sound very much appropriate.

And even though a lot of the turbo lag has been eliminated, I just love flooring it in too high a gear and feeling that wave of torque slowly build up, like being accelerated by a rubber band. It's a great sensation.

I hated diesels when I was 20, but now I wouldn't get a real world vehicle without one. Get something seperate to get emotional.

[video=youtube;Ma-KBPcwRlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-KBPcwRlc&feature=g-u-u&context=G2ec8982FUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]

Bloody hell. That sounds nice for a diesel and goes like stink.

Wow! That sounds awesome! And you're right, that's damn fast for a diesel! If only that could be my daily driver....

As if I didn't love it enough.. The perfect car.

I kinda agree that diesels aren't as exciting as petrol engines.
Wouldn't want a manual gearbox for a diesel powered car because the power band is quite annoying.
On a 335d you get a sudden burst of torque at 1600 rpm and then it's all gone at 2600 rpm. A 335i gets its max torque on the same revs but it keeps on pulling all the way up to 6000 rpm.
And why are you all being so damn sensible about cars? If I didn't find driving exciting a diesel would do just fine but I really do enjoy driving and I'm willing to make sacrifices to get the best out of it.

There's a time and a place for everything.

You've got a big diesel, who the hell wants to change gear? Stick it in 4th or 5th and leave it there, you've got all the torque in the world :p

Ideally, I would have one of these diesels for a daily driver, giving me more relaxing characteristics and better fuel consumption. Not because diesel is expensive, because let's face, with a BMW like this, money probably isn't an issue. It saves you fuel stops though, and those are annoying as hell.

And then I would have something small and rev-happy as a weekend car.

Besides, I'm pretty sure I would find driving a 375bhp diesel exciting. Especially when it sounds like this one does.