[Official] Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video [Hammond & May too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see them print it and then receive a bazillion dollar lawsuit from Jeff Bezos...

All we really needed was that last little "update" on that story.

Well done!

New Guardian interview with James May: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/27/james-may-chris-evans-top-gear-amazon

Relevant bits:

?The Amazon thing is going to be very complicated and it takes up a huge amount of time,? says May. The trio and executive producer Andy Wilman signed a three-year deal with the on-demand broadcaster last year worth a reputed ?160m, with Clarkson on ?10m a series, Hammond and May on ?7m each. May says the numbers are ?all bollocks. The figures aren?t right and anyway they don?t give us a great big bag of money and say, ?here?s your money go off and spend it?. They give it to us bits at a time.

?It is massively expensive what we are doing, for reasons that I hope will become apparent when you see it. We are doing it over three years and there are going to be 30-plus long episodes. So no, we haven?t all been out and bought a yacht. I?ve got a new pair of trainers, that?s the only difference in my life since I started working for Amazon.?

That and the tan, thanks to May and his fellow presenters filming in the Caribbean and north Africa for the as yet untitled Amazon show. May confirms it will begin in the autumn, with each run likely to be 11 episodes, possibly more. It will be scheduled ? albeit not in the traditional sense ? so won?t be immediately available to binge-watch.

It will also leave the TV studio behind, disappointing devotees of the ?cool wall? but an exciting prospect for fans of Top Gear?s sumptuously filmed location shoots.

May says they are making more episodes than they did in the latter days of Top Gear and it is ?logistically more complicated ... We are making a series of TV films and we don?t have a base?.

?Top Gear used to take up pretty much all our time and that is true now, worse actually,? he adds. ?And by the end of the three years I?ll be dead anyway.?

Last edited:
If they do three years and retire for good, so be it. It's been a wild ride.

If they do three years and retire for good, so be it. It's been a wild ride.

I fully expect that's what will happen. James said during the fracas-cation that their plan was to sign that one final three year deal and then retire gracefully. I personally hate to see that day come but that's what I figure will be the case.

Personally, I think it's great if they do the 3 year deal with Amazon and then retire.
That's well deserved!
I still have 22 series of epic Top Gear to watch plus the stuff they make for Amazon.

I fully expect that's what will happen. James said during the fracas-cation that their plan was to sign that one final three year deal and then retire gracefully. I personally hate to see that day come but that's what I figure will be the case.

This may be morbid but, it's like finding out a close family member is dying or dead. It's something you didn't expect happen and so soon, even though it wasn't.

How can something this simple and stupid put such a huge smile on my face?!

Same here.

James : No, No , NO! , No , No ..... :lol:

I think it's CHM deprivation.

I vote for "A Small Puddle of Excellence"

:rofl:

Clarkson recently tweeted "Thanks for your suggestions. But be aware: for legal reasons, we cannot use a name with the word 'gear' in it."

I was under the impression that titles can't be copyrighted (at least under American copyright law), so I'm wondering what the legal reason is.
Somebody left a comment on the YouTube video, suggesting the new title should be Currently UnNamed Tv Show?...

Clarkson recently tweeted "Thanks for your suggestions. But be aware: for legal reasons, we cannot use a name with the word 'gear' in it."

I was under the impression that titles can't be copyrighted (at least under American copyright law), so I'm wondering what the legal reason is.

Here's the thing: under the times of JC's termination, he's not allowed to do a car show using his Top Gear format for competing networks, for at least three years.

Any show with the name "Gear" in it could be seen as referring to his work on Top Gear and is therefore an invitation to a lawsuit.

They might try for the Clarkson Hammond Und May Petrolhead Show, if only to use the initials.

Oh, that's good. I was trying to think of a way that they could use the company name.

Status
Not open for further replies.