[Official] Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video [Hammond & May too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent 12 years downloading Top Gear online, starting with HTTP links on the precursor website to finalgear back in 2003. Subscription or not, I'm watching the Clarkson/Hammond/May show without a shadow of a doubt.

They probably wanted to go to Netflix but Amazon likely outbid them all.

Last edited:
Oh. Disappointed you can't get Amazon Instant Video on its own anymore. Instead of paying for something like ?7.99 a month and you can cancel at anytime, you now have to pay ?79 a year?

You can, but regular prime is just ?8 more per year so you might aswell just get that. Don't know if instant video is available everywhere, but pretty certain you can get prime internationally(?)...

Amazon would be foolish if they didn't license the show to every major TV station in the world.

Amazon would be foolish if they didn't license the show to every major TV station in the world.

I am really not so sure about this. They might want to make an example that the time of classic TV has finally reached an end, the future of modern television is in the web and that this deal is a milestone in this direction. Could be completely wrong, but my take on that thought.

I am really not so sure about this. They might want to make an example that the time of classic TV has finally reached an end, the future of modern television is in the web and that this deal is a milestone in this direction. Could be completely wrong, but my take on that thought.

I'm going to agree with you. I think Netflix and Apple TV have been going in that direction for a while. Especially now that pretty much everyone has a SmartTV and all them come with the services pre-loaded. I personally don't see the point of paying for cable to watch TV shows with commercials when I could pay for a streaming service and watch uninterrupted.

But maybe they should try to license to Netflix and Apple. That would form an interesting dynamic and perhaps can further the case to kill off conventional TV.

I had more in mind the countries that don't offer Amazon Prime. Top Gear was broadcast in what, almost every country in the world? I wonder how Amazon will try to achieve the same global reach.

When cable TV was new, there were no commercials. Streaming will kill/damage conventional TV, then the commercials will be back.

Oh, lucky me, since I'm already an Amazon Prime member :D

You can ask for a refund if you haven't used any services. I didn't have a problem getting my money back when I signed up for Prime and realized I don't order enough stuff to justify it.

does not compute...

i would be paying my ass of for months before finally deciding it's worth it and setting the step to sing into a fixed monthly payment

Amazon announced earlier this year that they were going to focus more on their streaming service with exclusive titles, so I would not bet on this. The big thing that hurts Amazon right now is the crappy interface with Instant Video, but they do have some stuff worth watching. I signed up for Prime mostly for the free 2-day shipping, the streaming video is a bonus. It is nice to have and I can stream straight to my XBox or television. Since I cancelled my cable TV, Prime, Netflix and YouTube are where I get content these days, I don't even torrent anymore.

does not compute...

i would be paying my ass of for months before finally deciding it's worth it and setting the step to sing into a fixed monthly payment

I took a look at all my order history. I spend way less than $99 a year on shipping. Especially since you get free shipping on orders over $35 anyways. Hell, I ordered the rims for my Jeep off Amazon and got them in 3 days with free shipping standard, and that was 85lbs of steel in 5 bulky boxes. That and half the time a 3rd party Amazon Marketplace price + shipping is cheaper than Amazon's price without shipping. Sure I don't get 2 day shipping with my orders, but I'm of the opinion that if you need to order something off Amazon and absolutely must have it in 1-2 days, you've fucked up. There is nothing I've seen on there that, to me, would warrant such urgency.

Last edited:
I wonder how this new deal with affect Hammond and May's future work with the BBC. Last I heard they were still making shows with them.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't really matter, as I said when all this started, the boys have been seriously underpaid by the BBC in comparison to what the stars of a show in the US would make for the size of the world wide audience, for example, Two and a Half Men had about the same size for the world wide audience, Charlie Sheen was making more per episode than Clarkson was making in a year, so at this point, I would happily bet my paycheck that the boys just got a huge raise.

Does it really matter what service it's on?

The vast majority of people will just pirate the episodes as usual.

I bet the money is only second to the opportunity to do whatever the fuck they want.

Will they move to 'Murica though, like many stars?

I took a look at all my order history. I spend way less than $99 a year on shipping. Especially since you get free shipping on orders over $35 anyways. Hell, I ordered the rims for my Jeep off Amazon and got them in 3 days with free shipping standard, and that was 85lbs of steel in 5 bulky boxes. That and half the time a 3rd party Amazon Marketplace price + shipping is cheaper than Amazon's price without shipping. Sure I don't get 2 day shipping with my orders, but I'm of the opinion that if you need to order something off Amazon and absolutely must have it in 1-2 days, you've fucked up. There is nothing I've seen on there that, to me, would warrant such urgency.

Since everything is free two day shipping, I've started ordering a LOT more stuff off Amazon since I got Prime. Why go to the store when it can be here the day after tomorrow?

That's the true purpose of Prime -- to get you to buy more.

Anyway, happy to see them going to a commercial free place, and a global streaming service is the best place for it. Everyone can watch it legally and there won't be much pressure on us to release torrents (not that I was going to anyway).

Since everything is free two day shipping, I've started ordering a LOT more stuff off Amazon since I got Prime. Why go to the store when it can be here the day after tomorrow?

That's the true purpose of Prime -- to get you to buy more.

Anyway, happy to see them going to a commercial free place, and a global streaming service is the best place for it. Everyone can watch it legally and there won't be much pressure on us to release torrents (not that I was going to anyway).

Need a new section for them and another for other car shows and documentaries

Just was looking at the Amazon site...

FbugaUp.png

Whats the difference between Instant Video and Prime Instant Video? Is there certain content that you can't buy per episode/season and MUST have the $99/year subscription? I'm not seeing any real big differences when I click the two links.

Really now I think the biggest question is "when will it start?"

I've seen several sites saying they're going to start production later this year with a 2016 debut. Not sure when, but I'd assume in the first half of the year based on their usual production timing per season. I'm sure we'll start seeing leaks soon as people catch them filming.

Status
Not open for further replies.