[Official] Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video [Hammond & May too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, Amazon Prime doesn't have video in Canada. Back to pirating for me, I guess.

Well, fuck me! What a retarded thing to do. Here I was contemplating joining Prime to complement my Netflix subscription, I guess they made that choice easy for me now :rolleyes:

This is pretty chall news.

If you're a student (.edu email address), Amazon Prime is free for 6-months. There is a way to make it continuously free...

gob-bluth.jpg

This is great for me. I already have Amazon prime. Greatest service ever. Need a light bulb, pull out your phone, click the app and buy a light bulb. No going to the store and having to remember what to get.

I also watch quite a lot of stuff on there already.

For those of you that can't get it, don't worry. Remember a lot of us didn't have access to bbc either and it never stopped us from watching.

Oh blah.. I was able to browse all content on their video service, but I cannot actually watch anything.
Looking at their "terms of use", it says that it is only available in the US.
Bastards, they were still happy to let me sign up and take my money.

In fairness, they didn't know you were signing up just to watch the new Clarkson, Hammond and May show.

What if they use CHM as a way to launch Prime Video worldwide?

What then, naysayers?

What then, naysayers?

Thats actually a very good point. CHM definitely is a good starting point since the trio has such a huge worldwide following.

Plus does Amazon Video have any original content? I can see them having licensing issues with playing other studios' shows abroad, but if Amazon owns the rights to CHM, they can play it where ever they want.

Thats actually a very good point. CHM definitely is a good starting point since the trio has such a huge worldwide following.

Plus does Amazon Video have any original content? I can see them having licensing issues with playing other studios' shows abroad, but if Amazon owns the rights to CHM, they can play it where ever they want.

They're pushing for it big time, investing a lot of money into pilots and series. They're definitely behind Netflix on that front, but a worldwide (or at least first-world-wide) launch of AP Video with CHM would be a great step forwards for them.

This is pretty chall news.

If you're a student (.edu email address), Amazon Prime is free for 6-months. There is a way to make it continuously free...

I did that but it's renewed the student subscription? Can't remember doing it myself. Free student prime till March next year when I'm not a student. :p

Amazon has been producing a bunch of pilots and then ordering full seasons for the ones that do well. They just announced a full season of "The Man in the High Castle" based on the positive feedback and high number of viewings of the excellent pilot they produced.

Amazon (and Netflix) do not have the idiotic regulation and standards and practices that network or even cable has so I don't expect the gang to be on a very tight leash.

- - - Updated - - -

They're pushing for it big time, investing a lot of money into pilots and series. They're definitely behind Netflix on that front, but a worldwide (or at least first-world-wide) launch of AP Video with CHM would be a great step forwards for them.

I think the way Amazon is producing series makes more sense than Netflix, instead of just ordering a season all at once they produce a pilot with minimal interference, put it up and see how it does. Of course with Clarkson and Co. they will probably just order a dozen episodes.

What then, naysayers?

Then I'll buy Prime, no question. I order tons of stuff on Amazon but I've never felt that the cheap expedited shipping (which is all that Prime offers in Canada) made Prime worth the price to me as I'm rarely in a rush.

It's still early days and I suggest waiting a bit before signing up for Amazon Prime. As forum posters have pointed out, other original Amazon shows like Alpha House or Transparent are available to non-Prime members (in the US, at least) if you pay per episode. And it's not clear yet how Amazon plans to tackle countries where it doesn't have a site. The Wall Street Journal thinks Amazon will license the show to more traditional broadcast networks where it doesn't have to plan to have a presence in the near future.

If true, it's going to be an interesting business model - keep existing Prime Members happy and loyal; increase the membership rolls and gain shopping sales; and have licensing fees from broadcast partners cover the bulk of production cost.

I already have Amazon prime and am happy to hear this news. I really thought they would go with Netflix though.

Amazon would be foolish if they didn't license the show to every major TV station in the world.

They would be foolish if they *did* because that would mean giving a lifeline to conventional broadcast television and it wouldn't drive sales of other stuff from Amazon. It's also not like they can't distribute it over the internet to wherever, something that the BBC couldn't do for fear of pissing off the other broadcast networks that buy their (mostly crap) other shows.

Last edited:
To everyone concerned that the show will not be available in their country see the following from the Wall Street Journal on this very topic:

"Amazon won the global rights to the new series, meaning it will appear on Prime video in the U.S., U.K., Austria and Germany. Amazon can also license rights to the show to broadcasters or streaming services in other territories around the world where Prime video isn?t available. It also adds to Amazon?s content war chest if it does expand to new countries."

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...s-to-launch-new-auto-series-for-amazon-prime/

Thanks for that, blassus. That makes me feel better. I emailed Amazon and, while their reply wasn't negative, it wasn't positive, either.

Looks like I am still going to be getting CHM via other means still :lol:, you see, there are five Amazon warehouse in my area, which means two things for me, one, anything I order that is fullfilled or sold by Amazon, I have to pay tax on, second, being so close their warehouses, means I already get 2 day shipping for free, last time I ordered something that Amazon sold , was my camera, I had it two days later, using the normal free shipping for orders over whatever the amount was at the time.

I am not going to pay for something to get something that I already get for free:lol:

Just was looking at the Amazon site...

FbugaUp.png

Whats the difference between Instant Video and Prime Instant Video? Is there certain content that you can't buy per episode/season and MUST have the $99/year subscription? I'm not seeing any real big differences when I click the two links.

I think Instant Video is similar to iTunes's stuff -- pay per season/episode.

Prime throws in a bunch of stuff for free, Netflix style.

Status
Not open for further replies.