Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

I shall obey.. :rolleyes:

While the Ferrari deal was in place for some time, discussions are believed to have continued with McLaren about extending its current deal too - especially because of the huge success the bank's profile has enjoyed through its association with Lewis Hamilton.

I wonder how this works... Do people walk into the bank and say: "I saw Hamilton sporting your logo on his overalls, so I decided to come here."?

it's like Michael Jordon advertising for Nike. People see Jordan and relate his attributes to Nike. People see Hamilton's competitiveness, drive, etc and relate it to the bank. It may not be a conscious effort, but the impact is there.

I wonder how this works... Do people walk into the bank and say: "I saw Hamilton sporting your logo on his overalls, so I decided to come here."?

The same way all advertising works. You feel happy when you see Lewis (while seeing Santander), and then subconsciously you feel the same when you see Santander. It's not a conscious thing, but it works by the brain's natural association. It's why these companies spend millions on F1. Because it works.

I've got an AMD dominated computer..I wonder why.. :rolleyes:

hahahaha i don't like acer at all. I'm a lot stronger-minded than some retards :p but was it worth it?

McLaren confirms Santander deal

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, September 14th 2009, 12:44 GMT

The McLaren team has confirmed the extension of its sponsorship deal with Spanish banking giant Santander, as revealed by AUTOSPORT over the weekend.

Santander has sponsored McLaren since the 2007 season, and the partnership will continue despite the company having signed a five-year deal with Ferrari from next year.

"We are extremely pleased to have extended our hugely successful global Partnership with Santander," said team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

"As one of the world's leading banks with a significant presence in Europe, Brazil, Mexico, Chile and the United States and other countries, Santander is a great 'fit' with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and our triumphs on the global stage of Formula 1.

"The year 2009 marks Santander's third season of association with our sport, and during this time they have successfully title-sponsored three of the most prestigious and historic races: the British, German and Italian Grands Prix. We are very proud of our relationship with Santander and to be part of their ever-expanding Formula 1 involvement.

"We welcome, and wish them well with, their other activities - including, but not limited to, the afore-mentioned race sponsorships."

According to the team, Santander has seen its brand awareness rise in the UK from 20% to 82% since the partnership began.

"The year 2010 will create a newly-refreshed scenario for Santander in terms of Formula 1 sponsorship," said Juan Manuel Cendoya, Senior Vice President of Communications, Corporate Marketing and Research.

"Our continuing partnership with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - and especially with Lewis Hamilton - will fit very well with our ongoing development of the Santander brand, not only in the UK but globally too."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78640

I still think it's just weird...

And now in a proper language:

Canada confirms 2010 calendar slot

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, September 14th 2009, 16:27 GMT

Canadian Grand Prix organisers announced on Monday they have reached a settlement with Formula One Administration that will mean the Montreal race will return to the calendar next year.

The Canadian event was absent from this year's schedule for the first time since 1987, meaning there were no races in North America.

However, negotiations to bring the race back had been ongoing and the GP was already listed on a provisional 2010 calendar with a June 6 date.

On Monday, organisers confirmed a deal that will see Montreal back next year.

"I am very happy, and fully satisfied, with this outcome," said Normand Legault, CEO of Grand Prix F1 du Canada. "I have always been confident of being able to resolve the dispute, given the in-depth understanding I have had to develop of the Formula 1 racing situation in Canada.

"And I am especially pleased that an announcement is forthcoming to the effect that the Canadian Grand Prix will be back on the FIA calendar as of 2010. I never doubted that the Canadian race would regain its rightful place on the FIA schedule, and my discussions with F1 management led me to believe that the event would return soon.

"The race is important not only for Formula 1, but also for the teams, manufacturers and sponsors. I am also happy for the Canadian Grand Prix's many fans, because they are true F1 enthusiasts who appreciate the real value of the spectacle and the competition."
Autosport

This is great news. Now we just have to hope they fix the damn tarmac.

it's like Michael Jordon advertising for Nike. People see Jordan and relate his attributes to Nike. People see Hamilton's competitiveness, drive, etc and relate it to the bank. It may not be a conscious effort, but the impact is there.

Logos on overalls or on a car ... maybe.
What I cannot understand is the ad breaks during a race or any other sporting event. How can that cause a positive response in anyone?
If you watch you are supposedly interested in that sport, having it interrupted by ads would, I assume, cause a negative response.
I know that I WILL NOT use Bridgestone tires because they constantly interrupted the F1 coverage here in Japan for years.
Run a scrolling text at the bottom of the screen to the effect that 'this programme is sponsored (payed for) by so-and-so, and I will be highly appreciative, just don't interrupt the action.
We are not amused.<_<

well, at least you're annoyed. It means the ad has affected you. An ad doesn't have to make you buy it, but at least there's the awareness, neh? It means it's done it's job.

As for the ads interrupting you, if you subscribed to non-free tv, then you won't have ads. this is the price we pay..

Last edited:
Lotus granted 13th slot on the grid. BMW Sauber is gone.

Press Release
2010 FIA Formula One World Championship - New Entries
15/09/2009
Following an intensive selection and due diligence process, the FIA has awarded the 13th entry in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship to the Lotus F1 Team.

The FIA also received an impressive application from the BMW Sauber Team. However, given that BMW has announced it will withdraw its support in 2010, there are still uncertainties regarding the future ownership of the team.

Nevertheless, the FIA considers that BMW Sauber?s application is of high quality and would constitute a competitive participant in the Championship. As such, it has awarded BMW Sauber the '14th place' in the Championship meaning that it will be entitled to fill any vacancy that arises on the 2010 grid.

In addition, the FIA believes that a good case can be made for expanding the grid to 14 teams. The FIA will be consulting urgently with the existing teams regarding the introduction of an appropriate rule change to expand the grid to 28 cars in time for the first Grand Prix in 2010.

Detailed below is information about the new team that has been confirmed to compete in the Championship from next year.

Company Name: 1Malaysia F1 Team Sdn Bhd
Team Name: Lotus F1 Team
Team Principal: Tony Fernandes

A partnership between the Malaysian Government and a consortium of Malaysian entrepreneurs, 1Malaysia F1 Team returns the Lotus name as a constructor to Formula One for the first time since 1994. The team will initially be based at the RTN facility in Norfolk, UK, some 10 miles from the Lotus Cars factory. A 50,000 square foot fully equipped facility, RTN was built by Toyota for its initial Formula One programme and then used by Bentley for its successful Le Mans programme.

The team?s future design, R&D, manufacturing and technical centre will be purpose built at Malaysia?s Sepang International Circuit.

Team Principal Tony Fernandes is the founder and CEO of the Malaysian-based Tune Group, owner of the Air Asia airline. The team?s Technical Director Mike Gascoyne has over 20 years of experience in Formula One having previously performed the same role for the Force India, Toyota, Renault and Jordan Formula One teams.

As part of its application to compete in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, the team has agreed an engine supply deal with Cosworth and a wide variety of technical partnerships including Xtrac and FondTech.

Lotus is back! :) Except it isn't really Lotus...

Good to hear the Canadian GP is confirmed to return next year.

I don't hold high hopes for the Malaysian F1 team...

Good to hear the Canadian GP is confirmed to return next year.

I don't hold high hopes for the Malaysian F1 team...

It's confirmed on the calendar but still isn't 100% chance of happening. Something to do with govt.

And Briatore is no longer in F1.. Which is... OK. He did a lot for the business aspect in the early 90's but hes a dinosaur now. But Pat SymondS! ! ?