[OLD] FinalGear Image/File Hosting [PhyreFile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We run manual registration right now. send an email to finalgear <at> phyrefile.com with the username and email address you want.

I fixed a few bugs today.
  • Deleting non-image files works.
  • Those mysterious "Session already started" errors should not show up any more. I hope. Let me know if they do.

I sent an email a couple days ago and haven't gotten a response or anything back yet. Should I try again?
I don't see any emails in the account for you.. try shooting one to service [at] phyrefile-dotcom

Yes, phyrefile is down. No, I don't know when it will accept uploads again.

in the meantime, use the forum attachment feature or other upload sites.

So, I have a question. This is the message I get when I go to phyrefile.com:

PhyreFile is not currently accepting uploads due to abuse and ongoing DDOS attacks. If you want to retrieve a tar/zip of your uploaded images, please email archive[at]phyrefile.com using the email address you registered with, your username, and preferred format (zip or tar/gz).

...are the images still being hosted, though? Just uploading is offline for a while?

Since all the stuff I've posted in NSFW is still visible, I would bet that it's still hosted, just can't presently add to the collection.

Images are still being hosted, but that may change at some point. If it does, we will make reasonable efforts to not leave FG users in the lurch (by keeping their images, rewriting URLs in our database to point to a new location, or some other thing we come up with). Basically, while PhyreFile always lost money for us, the time it was taking up cleaning up after fuckheads who hotlink masses of HD pictures of torrents and DDoS us for no apparent reason was taking up too much of our (mostly Quiky's) time to make keeping it working worthwhile. We haven't yet decided how to proceed.

Last edited:
That and the large amount of DMCA notices because of the movie screeners and warez kiddies..

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks!

Stupid idea: Can't we limit the upload to gif, png and jpeg files (determined by unix type command, not by extension), limit the image file size to 2 MB or something per image and/or tie the registration to an active forum account?

Or simply tie registration to an active forum account, period?

Offer it up to regulars via request. Close to general public. Nuke abusive accounts (though I don't think the regular posters are this problem) from orbit accordingly.

Stupid idea: Can't we limit the upload to gif, png and jpeg files (determined by unix type command, not by extension), limit the image file size to 2 MB or something per image and/or tie the registration to an active forum account?

Or simply tie registration to an active forum account, period?

Offer it up to regulars via request. Close to general public. Nuke abusive accounts (though I don't think the regular posters are this problem) from orbit accordingly.

What coco and Dr_Grip said. especially what coco said.

I have a replacement site that will takeover the roles.. will be a FG exclusive. No other sites can hotlink images from the servers, and there will be no more open registration.

Nothing from FG'ers will be lost.

Ran this by Viper first, he said it was okay. If any North or South Americans need picture hosting in the interim, I've got a server that can host your pics and it's membership only so no spammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.