Old school analogue or new school digital? in-car....

Digital displays are fine for what they are, but they lack depth as they are flat. Analogues are good at what they do but can only do one thing. So to the question digital or analogue, I say: yes.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/07/08/2008-mercedes-benz-c-63-amg-5.jpg

Last edited:
Analog all the way. Digital dials feels so cold and fake. Analogs lets you feel like being a part of the car itself.

Old School all the way. My DD is from 1977 for christ sake! (designed in the late 40s though)

Last edited:
No tach. FAIL.

Here's a fix:

And here's a retrofitted '66 Mustang:

It doesn't need a tach. It's got a 3 speed Cruise-O-Matic. Those digital ones are just horribly ugly with their 80's style block digits that present serious visibility issues in glaring sun. Not to mention they aren't the right shade of blue-green. You can rape the dash of your Jag, my Mustang is staying proper. :cool:

Last edited:
It doesn't need a tach. It's got a 3 speed Cruise-O-Matic. Those digital ones are just horribly ugly with their 80's style block digits that present serious visibility issues in glaring sun. Not to mention they aren't the right shade of blue-green. You can rape the dash of your Jag, my Mustang is staying proper. :cool:

You can order it in different (and proper) shades, not just that blue.

And I've checked mine in glaring sun - still easily read. Plus they have a nice bar graph. :D

You can keep using your vague instruments, I prefer knowing what my car is doing.

You can order it in different (and proper) shades, not just that blue.

And I've checked mine in glaring sun - still easily read. Plus they have a nice bar graph. :D

You can keep using your vague instruments, I prefer knowing what my car is doing.

No, you can't order it in the proper color, you can get them in blue or green, but not blue-green. So nyah. Not to mention my vague instruments work fine on a simple car. I don't need fancy systems to tell me what a custom electronically run engine is doing. Back to your shop, you electronic witch.

^_^

No, you can't order it in the proper color, you can get them in blue or green, but not blue-green. So nyah. Not to mention my vague instruments work fine on a simple car. I don't need fancy systems to tell me what a custom electronically run engine is doing. Back to your shop, you electronic witch.

^_^

You do know that your car has Lucas components, right? And that as a faithful worshipper of Lucas, I could petition him to inflict his plagues upon you, yes?

:mrgreen:

And actually, DD does do custom orders and has quite the spectrum available. And the "green" they call "teal" is actually the "proper" blue-green.

You do know that your car has Lucas components, right? And that as a faithful worshipper of Lucas, I could petition him to inflict his plagues upon you, yes?

:mrgreen:

And actually, DD does do custom orders and has quite the spectrum available. And the "green" they call "teal" is actually the "proper" blue-green.

Good luck. And still no. Everyone who has ordered the digital gauges or LED conversions for the instruments has said they're all the wrong color. They can't duplicate an incandescent lightbulb shining through a partially faded 40 year old colored lens. You can repeat their claims of it being the right color, but actual Mustang people can verify it isn't.

And why on earth would I want to spend $600 going digital when my current gauges tell me everything I need to know about my car which has no problems with oil pressure, heating, or electrics. Tell me that one.

^^Yeah, Cobol needs the GIANT LED display so he can read it. :p

Good luck. And still no. Everyone who has ordered the digital gauges or LED conversions for the instruments has said they're all the wrong color. They can't duplicate an incandescent lightbulb shining through a partially faded 40 year old colored lens. You can repeat their claims of it being the right color, but actual Mustang people can verify it isn't.

And why on earth would I want to spend $600 going digital when my current gauges tell me everything I need to know about my car which has no problems with oil pressure, heating, or electrics. Tell me that one.

Because it's a Mustang made by Ford and it will eventually have problems with oil pressure, heating, and speaking of electrics, did you know your ammeter will probably eventually set your car on fire?

And I was talking about proper *for the original as-showroom car*. You can duplicate that as-new coloration. Can't duplicate the fading, but then why would you want to?

Because it's a Mustang made by Ford and it will eventually have problems with oil pressure, heating, and speaking of electrics, did you know your ammeter will probably eventually set your car on fire?

And I was talking about proper *for the original as-showroom car*. You can duplicate that as-new coloration. Can't duplicate the fading, but then why would you want to?

Funny, 40 years so far with no problems with any of that. And why would I want a car in as-showroom condition? I drive mine. The current color of the instruments is desirable by those of us whom drive these cars, in fact it's generally considered the proper color over the slightly bluer original color. You aren't winning this one.

Oh by the way, my ammeter isn't hooked up- so no it won't be setting the car on fire. Now why don't you go spend some more time getting your car to drive. :bangin:

Funny, 40 years so far with no problems with any of that. And why would I want a car in as-showroom condition? I drive mine. The current color of the instruments is desirable by those of us whom drive these cars, in fact it's generally considered the proper color over the slightly bluer original color. You aren't winning this one.

I know it's impossible to reason with insanity - suffice it to say that while I like driving cars, I also prefer to make things as close to new when I go through and refurbish or rebuild them. Unlike you, who apparently wants everything to be old, and tarnished and muddy....

Oh by the way, my ammeter isn't hooked up- so no it won't be setting the car on fire. Now why don't you go spend some more time getting your car to drive. :bangin:

Why would I want to do that? It drives just fine already.

IMG_4275.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

The ancilliary gauges don't have their anti-glare covers on yet - but the main instruments have their antiglare coatings on already. :D

Last edited: