Olympics

Today is the first day I haven't heard someone say Michael Phelps' name eight times.

Don't get me wrong, homeboy's a great athlete. Best in the world as everyone is making him out to be? I dunno, wouldn't that mean he'd hold all the records for every sport? A friend of mine goes to Uni with him and said he's a real douchebag... but hey, if I was that good I would be too :lol:.

Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, and Michael Phelps - There you go.

well since the swimming is properly over today im gonna name my top 3 swims... in ascending order

3. well, i lied.. im gonna put forward 3 swims here coz i just couldnt decide.

Rebecca Adlingtons 400m freestyle... taking the gold at the very last moment with 1m to go, really set the tone for katy hoff's competition.

Kirsty Coventry's 400m IM, totally storming swim that i just wasnt expecting from her and she's such a cool person for being so damn bubbly all the time

Micheal Phelps 200m freestyle.... it was stupendously fast, but despite being a new WR, it doesnt really compare to the spectacle he provided at the world champs some time back where he made Van Den Hoogenband look absolutely ridiculous in the 200m free final. that swim is essentially why hoogy never even entered the 200m at the olympics.

2. it was a close second, but Rebecca Adlingtons 800m free final was just pure class. 400m to go an she just stepped it up and took everyone to the cleaners, epic swim and a 20 year old world record finally toppled. amazing, dominating swim.

1. i have to give number one to this guy just for the fact that he had me jumping up n down in the living room shouting "what the fuck have i just watched!".

Phelps' 8 golds dream looked like it was about to be consigned to the trash heap on only day 2 of the swimming in the 4x100m freestyle relay. As Alain Bernard, at the time the 100m world record holder, dived in for the final leg of the relay, surely there was no chance in hell that anyone else could win. im sure everyone was saying it, the commentators were, i was.... phelps 8 gold medals gone. no chance.

but no.... Jason Lezak took the final leg and then proceeded to swim the most astonishing 100m freestyle i have ever seen in my life. i just could not believe how he hauled Bernard back in the closing stages, pulling on the water like crazy, body riding high in the water in the perfect position and then touching out the french man to get gold.

the time? 46.06 the fastest 100m free relay leg ever swum by over half a second, absolutely astonishing swim... he swam around a second faster than the world record holder in the lane next to him, it was just utterly utterly rediculous to see someone go that fast. All that effort just to keep a team mates dream alive..... thats a true team mate, true team spirit.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg9lCvAvBdg[/YOUTUBE]

sorry i couldnt find a better video, some of the stuff on youtube is just minute long still images?lol

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, homeboy's a great athlete. Best in the world as everyone is making him out to be? I dunno, wouldn't that mean he'd hold all the records for every sport? A friend of mine goes to Uni with him and said he's a real douchebag... but hey, if I was that good I would be too :lol:.

Funny, a few days ago my friend from Maryland said that she knew some people who went to school with him...and that he's a real dick.

I don't want to believe it because he seems like a down-to-earth guy, but at the same time he thinks he can probably get away with it. "I WON EIGHT FUCKIN' MEDALS, BITCHES! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR LIFE?!"

Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, and Michael Phelps - There you go.

... you double son of a bitch....

Funny, a few days ago my friend from Maryland said that she knew some people who went to school with him...and that he's a real dick.

I don't want to believe it because he seems like a down-to-earth guy, but at the same time he thinks he can probably get away with it. "I WON EIGHT FUCKIN' MEDALS, BITCHES! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR LIFE?!"

That's what I'm saying. I thought he seemed real down to earth too. Being he has that pretty strong speech impediment, I'd imagine he'd be a bit more "under the radar" type of guy, even with his new fame.

Today is the first day I haven't heard someone say Michael Phelps' name eight times.

I'm not that impressed with him either. How many other athletes get to compete in that many different events? How many even get to compete in 4?
Not that many.
I mean OMFG he can swim a fixed distance really fast! Big whoop.

That said I've been ignoring the Olympics unless Womens Volley Ball is on, even then I watch it only if I catch it. but I really don't pay attention to the Olympics, other than women's beach volleyball if it is on.
My wife is glued to the TV (or computer) for it though and she got mad at me that I'd rather watch "The Terminator" or "Judge Dredd" On Demand than watch Mike Phelps win another freaking medal, I told her I don't care and that a horrible Sty Stallone movie is more entertaining to me than watching a freak of nature swim.

The funny thing is tho, in those pictures he looks like some formerly nerdy, quiet kid who's really average and again, down to earth, but somewhere in early high school thought that to get anywhere in life you had to put on a veneer of frat-boy douchiness, yet still hasn't outgrown his past awkward dorkiness (in fact, it only makes it even more noticeable).

I only say this because it reminds me a lot of some friends I have - those who used to be into computer gaming and blowing up stuff in their backyard, then discovered girls along the way and decided that buying Lacoste polos for $75 and being misogynistic was the only way to a girl's heart pants. And when I hang out with them, I know they're not really into that shit.

Then again I'm reading into this too much for a guy I don't even know...:|

I mean OMFG he can swim a fixed distance really fast! Big whoop.

Well, that's easy for someone to say. I'm not really a fan of swimming, but I give credit to credit is due. The guy is obviously a phenomenon. The impressive thing about pro athletes is that they make what they do look really easy, when in reality it's not. Anyone can be an armchair critic, but I think he deserves quite a bit of credit. He obviously kicks ass at what he does, and it's not the "piece of cake" that he makes it appear to be. He's worked hard to get to where he is. My hat is off to him :)

To think that you are the best swimmer out of all the competition in the whole entire WORLD (and in the decades before you), it's got to be a good feeling, and all the interviews I've seen him in, he's been very down to earth and I haven't heard him say anything cocky.

Last edited:
2208_gay_a.jpg

This picture just looks odd to HH

hahaha :lol:

The commentators blamed the drop on the guy handing it off but with my experience in that same event I blame the receiver. His arm was all over the place when he put it back but you're supposed to move your arm straight back and yank the baton out of your teammate's hand.

I also love how 'USA' on the jersey tag looks like it was written with a Sharpie just moments before the race. :lol:

When are they going to show the BMX! It's diving now! DIVING! I've sat through two weeks of primetime diving, and gymnastics, and track, and swimming, and volleyball. Show us some good stuff!

Well, that's easy for someone to say. I'm not really a fan of swimming, but I give credit to credit is due. The guy is obviously a phenomenon. The impressive thing about pro athletes is that they make what they do look really easy, when in reality it's not. Anyone can be an armchair critic, but I think he deserves quite a bit of credit. He obviously kicks ass at what he does, and it's not the "piece of cake" that he makes it appear to be. He's worked hard to get to where he is. My hat is off to him :)

To think that you are the best swimmer out of all the competition in the whole entire WORLD (and in the decades before you), it's got to be a good feeling, and all the interviews I've seen him in, he's been very down to earth and I haven't heard him say anything cocky.

I'm not saying it is easy, I'm saying that he won all those medals isn't as big of a deal as it is being made out to be. Like I pointed out, who else in the Olympics is entered in that many events that are so similar?

What kind/brands of bike do the BMX folks ride now? Companies like GT, Haro, Redline, and Hutch used to be the big boys back in the '80s.

I'm not saying it is easy, I'm saying that he won all those medals isn't as big of a deal as it is being made out to be. Like I pointed out, who else in the Olympics is entered in that many events that are so similar?

Yeah, I know. I'm not saying he's the greatest Olympian. I'm just saying he's the best swimmer, which is pretty cool when you can dominate your area of expertise like that.

But I give credit to anyone who can win a gold. I agree that's it's not fair to say one athlete is the greatest Olympian just because he's the best in his/her particular event.

Last edited:
Diving is soooo stupid. Don't these people know, it's supposed to be whoever makes the biggest splash wins!