Olympics

Attending an Olympic games is one of my life goals

Basically the entire of my year (and many others everywhere) are waiting for the London games. And being close to London here too, means hopefully we should have a better chance of being volunteers... But thats still a long time off.

that torch lighting was pretty sick.

It was. IIRC last time they had fireworks go round the stadium, but the Chinese will go one better. The drums at the beginning were decent though.

the voleyball was quite good this afternoon.

Plenty of bogan australian supporters in the croud :p

mysteryman_168711a.jpg

:mrgreen:

anybody noticed that guy in the white shirt in the right top corner? he does not belong to the Dutch team but he somehow managed to get round security and walk half a lap with the team before being kicked out of the stadium. :lol:

it was a great ceremony though :thumbup:

The drums at the start and the flame lighting at the end were certainly the best bits of the night, in an already pretty good show. Having that kid walk out with Yao Ming was a nice touch and probably showed more than anything that the organisers thought of just about everything in tiny detail.

I thought getting the athletes to walk over the painting was an inspired idea. I can imagine this painting taking pride of place somewhere, becoming a huge tourist attraction in its own right.

China just took gold in women's weightlifting. YEEEAAH MOTHERFUCKERS

Was watching that last night on nbcolympics.com*. Chen Xiexia is a fucking beast! This girl only weighs 106 pounds!

*For the people in the US, you can watch live and the full replays on nbcolympics.com.

mysteryman_168711a.jpg

:mrgreen:

anybody noticed that guy in the white shirt in the right top corner? he does not belong to the Dutch team but he somehow managed to get round security and walk half a lap with the team before being kicked out of the stadium. :lol:

:lol: Go Honda-shirt-guy!

After hearing that BMX would make it's Olympic debut this year, I started thinking to myself of other dumb sports included in the Olympic games. Here are some sports that I think cut out from the games:

BMX: yeah......no comment
Synchronized Swimming: I really don't get the point of this sport
Equestrian: No one cares about equestrian
Trampoline: Fun to watch....but this isn't even a sport.

Anyone else have a few to add?

Hungarians are always great at the Olympics... we usually win 7-8 gold medals (this year it will be less though), we've won have more than 150 gold medals since 1896 and Hungary is often in the top 15 in the number of medals won at the games.
That's pretty good I guess, for such a small country :)

I'd have to agree with that. Now, my dad, who used to be a member of the Chinese Communist Party and now holds a grudge against the BBC for all their negative coverage, kept telling me how they're saying it was the best opening ceremony in Olympic history and how London could never hope to match it, etc...

It's starting to get annoying.:|

Well, I'm not surprised they went all-out on the opening. The Olympics is a huge PR event for China, and they are throwing money at it like there's no tomorrow.

Well, I'm not surprised they went all-out on the opening. The Olympics is a huge PR event for China, and they are throwing money at it like there's no tomorrow.

A PR event is one way of putting it, but what you have to remember is that China as a whole is quite nationalistic as a country, and calling it a PR event is suggesting that Beijing is only hosting the Olympics to promote tourism. Think of it as a national celebration, apparently over 4000 people were so excited as to call their children "Olympic Games".

Not sure that is correct I think that you have to have the qualifying time (in athletics at least) before you can compete - mind you who verifies that time is another matter.

Yeah, it's the Eddie the Eagle rule - after a shortsighted plasterer from Cheltenham decided to represent the UK at ski-jumping.

"n response to the Eddie the Eagle phenomenon, in 1990, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) instituted what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and place in the top 30 percent or the top 50 competitors, whichever is the lesser."

Blaro, thanks for giving us some coverage bro. It's far better than watching the NBC coverage <_<