Olympics

I have to say that this was a very enjoyable Olympics for me. Track & field, women's weightlifting, archery, BMX, basketball were all exciting events. I mostly contribute the joy to being able to watch it all online. I have to give NBC props. I don't think would have watched as much as I did if it wasn't on the NBC site.

The closing ceremony sucks compared to the opening :p

Was just me or did Boris Johnson look like a total bogan.

Waving like a dork.

People were complaining the opening was fake, holy sh!t i don't think i saw one person singing live last night during the whole show. Tell me how somebody can play an electric guitar without power, nothing was plugged in. And don't get me started on Beckham.

It was really funny to see the London bit though, everybody throwing away their newspapers into the "street" and putting up their umbrellas, especially given the UK summer i've seen this year. My home town got flooded out last week.

Was a bad end to a really good Olympics. Well done to the Brits for finishing third, a total surprise to most, and to Daley for reaching the diving final.

I cracked up when I saw Jackie Chan "singing," I can only imagine what that would sound like.

Tell me how somebody can play an electric guitar without power, nothing was plugged in. And don't get me started on Beckham.

A lot of live guitar players use wireless systems. I'm not saying that's the case here as I didn't even see the ceremony, but it is always a possibility.

I cracked up when I saw Jackie Chan "singing," I can only imagine what that would sound like.

Jackie Chan's actually a pretty accomplished singer, he's put out over 10 albums since the 80s and does the theme songs to many of his films. He's huge in Japan and Hong Kong and I remember the last time I went to my hometown in China, he was having a concert the day I was leaving. I wanted to go but couldn't get tickets because they were all sold out. :cry:

610x.jpg

Hey, they said the same thing about David Hasselhoff too, remember? :mrgreen:

Tell me how somebody can play an electric guitar without power, nothing was plugged in.

I'm not saying Jimmy Page played live, but use your eyes, man, his guitar was clearly plugged in.

https://pic.armedcats.net/j/je/jensked/2008/08/25/page-lew-cp-5389949.jpg

That being said, although Jimmy Page is TEH COOL, the London2012 performance was TOTALLY weak.

Was a bad end to a really good Olympics. Well done to the Brits for finishing third, a total surprise to most, and to Daley for reaching the diving final.

Ahem.

Olympics Medal Count

Even so, it's been a great Olympics for us, even better for me considering I come from a Chinese background.

Waving like a dork.

People were complaining the opening was fake, holy sh!t i don't think i saw one person singing live last night during the whole show. Tell me how somebody can play an electric guitar without power, nothing was plugged in. And don't get me started on Beckham.

It was really funny to see the London bit though, everybody throwing away their newspapers into the "street" and putting up their umbrellas, especially given the UK summer i've seen this year. My home town got flooded out last week.

yeah, the chinese organiser of the ceremonies had a jibe at the west citing that we cant work well in large groups, we cant be criticised coz we've all got unions to complain to, we have to have frequent tea breaks and only work 4 days a week. all true i'd say compared to the mental amount of work put in by the chinese to pull that level of choreography off. but theres still things we in the west are better at and thats music and singing.

i too dont think a single person actually sang during the closing ceremony...all those beautiful girls lined up along the bottom of the tower were clearly miming. the hilariously bad "boy-band" style group was the same except with added cheese.

was a bit refreshing to then see leona lewis and the dude from led zep actually perform live and not mime, well at the very least do a better effort of miming, the chinese just cant do it right. and then in london to watch the chiors and the girl who sings "what have you done today to make you feel proud"

heck even McFly, The Feeling and scouting for girls actually sang into their mic's even though they couldnt carry a tune if they had a bucket. McFly royally butchered Abba's the winner takes it all, and SFG were rather tuneless and just a bit generic.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Jimmy Page played live, but use your eyes, man, his guitar was clearly plugged in.

That being said, although Jimmy Page is TEH COOL, the London2012 performance was TOTALLY weak.

well they only had 8 minutes, but i thought it wasnt too bad until beckham rose out of the bus and half hearted toddied a fly away into the crowd. he didnt even hit the groups of athletes....one of the volunteers making the human fence picked up the ball.

IMO Page did play live.... he's from that time when u really had to. not like a lot of today's "artists" that really have no descernable talent from the rest of us.

IMO Page did play live.... he's from that time when u really had to. not like a lot of today's "artists" that really have no descernable talent from the rest of us.

He sure has got the talent/experience/attitude of playing that stuff live (hell, he's amazing), but I don't know if Chinese / OIC organisation would let you play live :)

One thing is for sure, he and Leonia could play live if required, even if they did not - which I thought that they did actually - hey ho.

Jackie Chan's actually a pretty accomplished singer, he's put out over 10 albums since the 80s and does the theme songs to many of his films. He's huge in Japan and Hong Kong and I remember the last time I went to my hometown in China, he was having a concert the day I was leaving. I wanted to go but couldn't get tickets because they were all sold out. :cry:

Hey, they said the same thing about David Hasselhoff too, remember? :mrgreen:

No kidding! Well, if the Hoff and William Shatner can be singers, I guess Jackie Chan can be as well. :lol:

No kidding! Well, if the Hoff and William Shatner can be singers, I guess Jackie Chan can be as well. :lol:

Don't you remember his bit in the first Rush Hour?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6UTbM4sRc[/YOUTUBE]

And there's some Active Y'all Control courtesy of Chris Tucker at around the 1:25 mark.

Jimmy Page is so awesome that he doesn't need no stinkin' cable to plug into.

:bow:

Definately missed that one. Don't think he played live though, even though we all know he could.

Time to resurrect this thread? The olympics are a month away and there's a lot, lot of drama around them. Bad conditions in the host country, badly done construction projects, the population opposing them as a project of a corrupt government, real concerns about safety because of the Favelas (shanty towns) and their desperately poor inhabitants, the russian federation facing a possible ban due to doping scandals...
Continue here, or make a new thread for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics?

I hate the Olympics, it's become such colonialist bullshit.

Time to resurrect this thread? The olympics are a month away and there's a lot, lot of drama around them. Bad conditions in the host country, badly done construction projects, the population opposing them as a project of a corrupt government, real concerns about safety because of the Favelas (shanty towns) and their desperately poor inhabitants, the russian federation facing a possible ban due to doping scandals...
Continue here, or make a new thread for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics?

Oh yeah, this is turning out to be the fiasco we all feared.
If we go through it without a terrorist attack or a major fuckup I'll consider that a win.