Someone Else's Problem: One for the other foot? A French Impostor? - 2005 Smart Roadster Coupé

Labcoatguy;n3549805 said:
:lol: Awesome! Is there a third wacky roadster on FG now that there's this and the Pluriel?

Someone must own a 206CC, surely? :D

Nobody is that stupid here surely?

Sits back and waits for someone to post "Challenge accepted. And don't call me Shirley."

Obviously, I’ve never driven one, since Smart never brought them over, but it’s their best looking car by far (low bar, really, but it truly is good looking) and sounds like a total blast. Welcome to the club: life is always better topless (and mid-engined).

Reactions: TC
Fantastic. I've driven one very briefly, and I recall it being a fun and eager (and very loud inside) car. It's really just the lack of a manual that leaves a slightly bad taste. Do you know if anyone has managed to do a conversion? The new fortwo has a manual, but of course an entirely different engine...

Labcoatguy;n3549805 said:
:lol: Awesome! Is there a third wacky roadster on FG now that there's this and the Pluriel?

DaBoom's Swift, of course!

Always loved the look of these. Congrats!

public;n3549831 said:
DaBoom's Swift, of course!

Pleeeeeeaaaasse get the three of them together in one place and do a review, preferably with video.

Labcoatguy;n3549845 said:
Pleeeeeeaaaasse get the three of them together in one place and do a review, preferably with video.

Is it possible to rent a Murano Crosscabriolet?

thomas;n3549862 said:
I just don't even. I mean.. I... But.. what I mean is.. uhm..

Ok I give up.. :?

You'll have to let us know if it will Thomas. With the roof up OR down.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I like the design of these things, they are so tiny and quite nicely proportioned and detailed, the engine specs and transmission's reputation kinda put me off. But if you take it to the Ringmeet, I definitely want to try it out!

MXM;n3549824 said:
Fantastic. I've driven one very briefly, and I recall it being a fun and eager (and very loud inside) car. It's really just the lack of a manual that leaves a slightly bad taste. Do you know if anyone has managed to do a conversion? The new fortwo has a manual, but of course an entirely different engine...

Where there's a will...

There's a company that can do it for £9k including the car. I assume this includes the bike gearbox. Tempting.

Clarkson fitted in the car, so Thomas probably will. We'll have to see.

thomas;n3549862 said:

Not often that you're left speechless. :D

The manumatic 'box really isn't all that bad. When in manual mode the response is pretty fast, definitely not as bad as Clarkson made it out to be in the initial review. The electric clutch actuation is interesting to watch.

Edit: Someone is also making an electric one, because of course. Seems like the idea car but there isn't much space for batteries.

Last edited:
I illogically like these. Too bad we didn't get them on this side of the pond.

Matt2000;n3549883 said:
The manumatic 'box really isn't all that bad. When in manual mode the response is pretty fast, definitely not as bad as Clarkson made it out to be in the initial review. The electric clutch actuation is interesting to watch.

Was developing all that really cheaper than fitting an automatic? Or is this just Germans being Germans.

Weight and space required for a torque converter maybe, along with greater parasitic losses that would’ve stunted the performance even more. They probably would’ve gone for DSG if it wasn’t new and expensive at the time, it looks like that’s what they now use.

thomas;n3549862 said:

Well, if we're trying to make a "weird cabrio meeting"...

Well in that case I demand that someone buys all the other oddballs.. the pug CC things, Mitsubishi Colt CZC or whatever, definitely a StreetKa.. Mini Baseballhatroof roadster thing.. I will continue to post random car names here whenever I remember them :D

I forgot about the StreetKa, good call. Daihatsu Copen maybe?

Last edited:
You blithering idiot! Can I have a go at Ringmeet? :D
Matt2000;n3549776 said:
Once in the back though it suddenly seems much bigger! If I don't care about putting the roof down, the case can go here. It presses the flippy thing down which disables the roof.

Still nope

I probably have more luggage space on the bike. :lol: