Ongoing 1995 Camaro Z28 project [56k misses a gear]

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
New update! June 19th, new fenders, new wheels, new house!

Instead of necroing the old thread (The 280ZX thread), i'm going to post all the updates i can on my 1995 Z28 project in this thread. I dont want to give it its own "Post your car" thread until its shiny and repainted and presentable.

Vital Stats:
Name/Year: 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Engine: Second Generation Chevrolet Small block "LT1" 5.7L V8. Not even close to stock
Cost: $1800/?914 :thumbup:

Next a new video of the test drive, just to show off the motor (We're not sure if its cammed or if its a 355 stroker or what. But it must be one or the other, listen to the idle!)

[youtube=Jx9IUmMm6Eo]Camaro test drive[/youtube]

And here are all the old pictures. I'll keep this thread updated as new ones come up if you are all interested on the progress (if not let me know and i'll let the thread die) Front end looks worse then it is because i removed all the damaged stuff. Already have junkyard parts ready to be installed.

camz1.jpg

camz2.jpg

camz3.jpg

camz4.jpg

camz5.jpg

camfix1.jpg

camfix2.jpg

camfix3.jpg

camfix4.jpg

Last edited:
That motor sounds AWESOME. I agree with avanti, it does deserve a post your car thread.

It doesnt sound cammed to me, and since the LT1 is 350 cubic inches to begin with, I dont see how or why you would stroke it to 355.

Doesnt sound that much different from mine:

[youtube]pcMrnqWe9ms[/youtube]
(In my thread about my car, this is the motor that I took out of it. Regardless of how slow it was, it surely sounded fantastic!)

Still sounds good, though! Do you know what catback it is?

New video! Trying to upstage me Mr.TPI? (Kidding, sorry about the bad video quality, but the sound is just fine. You get to see the motor and exhaust this time.)

[youtube=jjWgVE4rKv8]Vroom[/youtube]

Great car, amazing sound and a nice hair doo!!

I like to think of myself as the young american james may :D. Only i dont drive a Fiat.

Last edited:
I don't think its cammed. The idle is too consistent. Sounds really mean though.

Err, not sure on the terminology, but its got dumps. Just about as loud as you can get and still have an exhaust connected to the headers. One is missing its muffler, damaged in the crash that damaged the front end, but i'm gonna slap something on there when i have the money, even if its just a bend.

Cats are completely removed, as Florida has no emissions regulations. Gotta kill all the polar bears i can for general clarkson! *salute*

No wonder it sounds so similar to mine! :lol: You see my dual dumps in my vid Im sure. You got duals then...? That's rad. But see the point of my vid is that it's headers and huge dual exhausts, but hte motor is completely stock and slow. The idle sounds about the same.

In the second vid I can hear a rattle-y noise that might be it loping, but the soundquality is such that I cant tell whether or not that's part of the exhaust note or not.

And TPI? No dude, no. My car is throttle body injected. It is a SLOW piece of shit. It only sounds good. ;)

Car looks nicer then mine, anyone with a camaro is a friend of mine :D. The RS had a 305 V8 still right? And a 350 V8 in the IROC-Z?

Still dont like LT1's? :D

Last edited:
That's the sound of Freedom in my opinion :lol:

Definitely doesn't sound cammed to me. Which junkyard parts are going on? Body?

Nice camaro! My neibour has one much like this, except it is actually in nice shape (no offence, yours will be soon)

If it wasn't a Mustang that I got for a project, it would have been a Camaro :thumbsup:. Sounds mean, even if it just has mild mods.

Keep us updated!

Text-only update (sorry :( )

Battery was indeed fried, so i dropped in a new one, and gave my friend the throttle body out of my car in exchange for a smaller one (Car has too much power for the tires anyway), pretty soon its going to go into a shop to fix the damage to the bumper mount "horns", then the project will really get going. :D Next time i'll have pics of all the new parts laid out, and i'm going to order a new bumper cover from ebay soon. ($20 from ebay, $80 shipping... ouch)

Keep watching guys! :D

Text-only update (sorry :( )

Battery was indeed fried, so i dropped in a new one, and gave my friend the throttle body out of my car in exchange for a smaller one (Car has too much power for the tires anyway), pretty soon its going to go into a shop to fix the damage to the bumper mount "horns", then the project will really get going. :D Next time i'll have pics of all the new parts laid out, and i'm going to order a new bumper cover from ebay soon. ($20 from ebay, $80 shipping... ouch)

Keep watching guys! :D

Why on earth did you give away your throttle body for a smaller one? You can always go with a bigger TB from a performance parts supplier, but it seems like a bad move to me. Too much power for the tires? There's this thing under your right foot that you use to control that. Even my 305 with 170hp can smoke tires from a dig.

All it will do is decrease your high RPM power, your low end torque will stay about the same.

Last edited:
Plus i owed the guy a lot, he helps me out with the car and it was the least i could do. That was the main reason. (The "too much horsepower" crap is just what i tell myself so i dont slap myself in the head)

Just make it sound like this...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64JxqUjcwE[/YOUTUBE]

I really don't think your car is cammed. Here is a cammed LT1 for comparison.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OroSKcHVtIM[/YOUTUBE]

I know its not an uber cam, something wimpy and high-range like an LT4 cam or something.

We're trying to come to terms with why its so much faster then normal LT1's, rather than its sound. Most say cam.

Last edited:
Wow matt, that car looks great! Definatly a steal for $1800.

I look forward to the updates. love your car.

MORE PICTURES!

MORE PICTURES!

Been busy with school lately, but i got the chance to remove more of the damaged crap from the front of the car in preparation for the new bumper. I also fixed the ghetto intake. But i couldnt take off that left plastic part, because i BROKE A 10MM SOCKET IN HALF! Damn it.

Here was my work station. (Garages are for women and girly-boys, real men lay in dirt!)

camz22.jpg

Next is the biggest problem with the car, the left-front front end of the cars frame (but thankfully not the rest of it) was pretty damaged, i'm waiting for my friend to buy a torch so we can heat this and bend it back into place, or just cut it off and put in a new one. Here are the gory details:

camz21.jpg

Last is another artsy motor shot, because its soooo pretty! :D I dunno if i want to keep those valve covers, but they look nice for now.

camz23.jpg

Last edited: