Opinions on aftermarket rear view cameras?

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
So my grandma likes to hit things with her car. I'm thinking an aftermarket rear view camera would make the best holiday gift for her. Since she doesn't have a video display I'm looking at units that have a hidden screen in the rear view mirror. Anyone on here have any experience with those and know which I should look at or avoid?

There's a good deal on this one right now on Amazon, and the reviews seem fairly positive, so I'm leaning towards buying it.

Last edited:
I am also considering one of these, but would also like a nose camera since I have a few odd angel intersections with obstacles I would like to be able to see around.

So my grandma likes to hit things with her car. I'm thinking an aftermarket rear view camera would make the best holiday gift for her. Since she doesn't have a video display I'm looking at unit have have a hidden screen in the rear view mirror. Anyone on here have any experience with those and know which I should look at or avoid?

There's a good deal on this one right now on Amazon, and the reviews seem fairly positive, so I'm leaning towards buying it.

I have been thinking about adding a backup camera to my BRZ but the headunit supports cameras so im looking at different ones than you.

The one you linked to looks pretty interesting. Not just a backup camera but also records out front as a dash cam. If you get it, let me know how it is. Might get that instead.

Just don't install it the way my Chinese* neighbours did:

* mentioning that to enforce "Asian driver" stereotype ;)

I've looked into those, seeing as the rear visibility in the TL is about as good as on a submarine. In the end I decided that the mirror-replacement units are costly, not as nice as the stock mirror, require wiring that I'm not willing to do, and aren't incredibly high quality. YYMV - let me know if you end up trying it and how your grandma likes it.