Orphan Black (TV Series)

The producers commented on it in an interview. While Toronto locales are featured and even named sometimes (the suburb Alison lives in, for example), the fact that it's not set in the US is supposed to go above the head of the casual viewer due to the international co-financing of the production. Which also explains why our lead is a British expat.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I understand the reason behind it, but I just don't like it. Once again Canada rolls over to placate others.

Exactly. It sells better and will do better with audiences if they think it's local and not Canada. They're even doing American accents instead of Canadian ones (which you would normally notice).
Your first sentence is 100% true. And that's what bothers me.
Your second sentence is actually incorrect. Outside of Newfoundlanders and Quebecois, nearly all Canadians' speak English like west coast Americans. So, they're got as much of an American accent as they do a Canadian one.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I understand the reason behind it, but I just don't like it. Once again Canada rolls over to placate others.
I think to make a non-US series with a noticable non-US setting a worldwide success you have to go full clich?. Take Germany's most successful TV export for example, Cobra 11. It's a stupid car-chase/action series centered around two Autobahn cops. And that's the reason for it's success: Paper-thin plotting and stock buddy cop characterization combined with the one thing everyone knows and loves about Germany: the Autobahn.

Canada could well export a buddy cop format centered around Mounties....

I think to make a non-US series with a noticable non-US setting a worldwide success you have to go full clich?. Take Germany's most successful TV export for example, Cobra 11. It's a stupid car-chase/action series centered around two Autobahn cops. And that's the reason for it's success: Paper-thin plotting and stock buddy cop characterization combined with the one thing everyone knows and loves about Germany: the Autobahn.

Canada could well export a buddy cop format centered around Mounties....
You mean, this show?

ds2.JPG

What you say is the truth, but it's frustrating. Basically, Canadians are not dissimilar enough from Americans in appearance or manner (i.e., accent), so therefore are programming is not interesting enough for that largely American audience unless it's made to look like one of their own.

Last edited:
Your second sentence is actually incorrect. Outside of Newfoundlanders and Quebecois, nearly all Canadians' speak English like west coast Americans. So, they're got as much of an American accent as they do a Canadian one.

I have quite a few co-workers from Ontario as well as Vancouver and you can hear the accent in quite a few words they use. ;)

But the glasses bring up an interesting point: So far (I've watched only the first four episodes so far) we have six versions, biologically identical. So why does one wear glasses? The only logical conclusion would be that all the others wear lenses...

Cosima's practically a professional student. She's spent a lot of time reading. Eyestrain, anyone? ;)

And they've got to be a very strong prescription. Because when Sarah wore them to impersonate Cosima in 2x01, she could barely see out of them.

The Ontario license plates on the cars have "Ontario" blacked out.

Weird because they're the first thing I noticed when I started watching!

OrphanBlackS01E01-Persephone2340_zpsc613f322.jpg

OrphanBlackS01E01-Persephone1094_zps14c4fd6f.jpg

OrphanBlackS01E01-Persephone2493_zps0d07b069.jpg

OrphanBlackS01E01-Persephone0962_zps02d9b9b7.jpg

orphanblack_2x02_2207_zps48870210.jpg

edit: Ahem. My favourite TV show at the moment. Where the hell is Tatiana Maslany's Emmy already?

Last edited:
Waited for my girlfriend's return with watching S02E03. That was epic, they are not only keeping the maniac pace and high stakes of the earlier episodes, but even are pushing on into more frantic plotting and even higher stakes. I can't wait for Sunday!

I've catched up to 1x08 so far. Very good show so far, and yes, give Tatiana Maslany some important prize, she deserves it. So far, not only the actress, but also the camera/special effects people do an amazing job with the interaction scenes.

Also, and this surprises me, the show manages to be utterly hilarious with scenes that I'd normally facepalm-worthy. Especially of note: the switcheridoo during Alison's house party in ep 1x06. Also, Alison letting it out in 1x08.

S02E03: What was that? Orphan Black goes full (body) horror?

Downloaded 02x04 - sadly, I can't watch it before Wednesday. Can't wait.

We are on our way to the second season finale. Maslany is as awesome as ever and the stakes have never been higher. What will be the cliffhanger? Will the producers finally kill off a clone?
I was waiting for a major character death for quite some time as the grit of "Orphan Black" just called for some bloodshed in these Game of Thrones-infested days of TV. But the choice of Leeky getting Pulp Fictioned by Donnie in S02E06 surprised me a lot. I still think we are in for some clone blood before the season's over.

Clone Club, any thoughts on the season finale?

... Can't wait for season 3?

Is it just me or was the season 2 finale a bit lacking? A little too busy setting up season 3 and not enough time spent on the resolution of the events so far.

Oh, and:
I don't believe Rachel's dead before we see her body.

I liked it. Lots of exposition, but it did not feel rushed.
And I fully expect a pissed-of Rachel with an eyepatch to wreak havoc in the Season 3 premiere

Wait what? No post at all in this thread since the end of season 2?

Well, season 4 has just started. And the first episode was.... weird. It actually only made sense to me once I saw the preview for the next ep at the end...

Shallow grave etc...

I just finished season 5, the final season. During the first six expisodes or so, the term "jumping the shark" came to mind. Towards the finale, things got better, but still... this show has lost a lot of appeal compared to the first two seasons. And the ending was just way too kitschy.

Weirdly, the common opinion about the series decline does not agree with me.

Check out the movie "What happened to Monday." It's only tangentially-related because it's one woman playing...clones...sort of...in a way...but I feel like if people liked Orphan Black would also like this movie.