Our new 2007 F150

Not a good idea. We towed a pop-up tent trailer with our old Corsica and while it had the HP to do it easily, the brakes nearly caught fire coming down some hills and the clutch smoked like crazy too.

Trucks are built to tow. :)

quick tell that to all the people who tow with their commodores and falcon!!! :p

quick tell that to all the people who tow with their commodores and falcon!!! :p

Yeah! I've got a friend who tows a pretty big boat on their VP Commodore. Only got 127kW and 293Nm of Torque, which is under 200HP, btw.

Trucks are not my speciality, but don't trucks have Chassis and Powertrains specially derived for towing? As in, the truck won't break into two pieces when towing a big load?

I mean the Corvette produces tons of torque... would you feel alright hooking up a boat to that thing? :D

By the way, nice truck man. I've always wanted a pick up truck, but I'd never actually use it for what it's made for so I never bought one. Never stopped me from finding them sexy (in a manly, rugged way) though.

Trucks are not my speciality, but don't trucks have Chassis and Powertrains specially derived for towing? As in, the truck won't break into two pieces when towing a big load?

I mean the Corvette produces tons of torque... would you feel alright hooking up a boat to that thing? :D

By the way, nice truck man. I've always wanted a pick up truck, but I'd never actually use it for what it's made for so I never bought one. Never stopped me from finding them sexy (in a manly, rugged way) though.

SS commmodore has a nearly identical engine to the corvette (in v8 form) and that tows fine

Several factors go into what makes a good tow vehicle, or how it is rated:

- hitch rating. What is it made of? What is what its attached to made of? How much force can it stand up to without bending?

- vehicle height. My GTO sits much lower than a truck - a hitch on that would mean a high risk of scraping the trailer tongue on dips or small bumps.

- tires. Tire rating has much to do with how much weight can be loaded on them safely.

- vehicle suspension. Many trucks are designed to handle the extra weight of a trailer, unlike cars like my GTO.

In other words, horsepower and torque are only a very small part of the equation of "should I tow with this?"

Well i know that you can basically tow a boat with your standard family V6 sedan, done it many times, not a problem. Now i must say it is better to have bought the truck than the SUV. Personally SUV drivers usually have a small... and dont have big enough balls to buy the truck. Do yourself a favorite get this bumper sticker "Yes, i have a truck. No, I wont help you move."

really comes down to what you tow, you certainly don't need a V8 for most things, unless you're towing industrial rigs (and no one will say anything to that). brakes are something you need to be careful about because it's easy to misjudge and expect standard ones to work. i towed a 2500lb trailer and boat with my mom's 130hp buick V6, and while the load wasn't a problem on the engine or tranny or suspension, the brakes were being tested thats for sure.

i say if you're towing over 1000lb in a car, install electric brakes on your trailer.

Personally SUV drivers usually have a small...

So you sneak a peak at the guy's junk or do you just ask? Stop with the stereotypes next time.