Our "own" car reviews

Well it made zero sense to call it the Jetta in the first place considering it shares literally everything with the Golf. If you walked into a VW showroom and looked at a "Jetta" SportWagen and a Jetta sedan you'd probably wonder why they were calling it Jetta.

I agree, though the average US buyer probably wouldn't be attentive enough to notice. Considering we're talking about a public that couldn't tell the BMW 1-series was RWD.

More importantly:

SPORTWagen? In what way is that thing sporty?

To my knowledge, the "sport" in SportWagen is related to physical activities, such as skiing, snowboarding, mountainbiking, etc, that require extra boot space.

I agree, though the average US buyer probably wouldn't be attentive enough to notice. Considering we're talking about a public that couldn't tell the BMW 1-series was RWD.

I've known more than one BMW owner who thought it stood for "British Motor Works."

tl;dr: People are stupid

- - - Updated - - -

To my knowledge, the "sport" in SportWagen is related to physical activities, such as skiing, snowboarding, mountainbiking, etc, that require extra boot space.

Correct. Same with Audi's Sportback designation.

:hmm: my company has built such systems for some German ports :hmm:

Also, did you get to do the obvious and mildly inconvenience some idioticly parked cars? :lol:
We were shown the whole container depot planning software up in the office beforehand, it's quite nifty! Shows where everything is not only in each stack but on a scale map of the place. And sadly no I didn't get to inconvenience anyone, they closed off the zone so I was the only vehicle in it. Probably a good idea :D

From my experience in my roommate's SportWagen, the "sport" refers to how the car behaves on an average speed bump or a gravel road/driveway... Feels a whole lot like falling on your tail bone during some sort of physical activity.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went further and renamed the GTI "Golf GTI" along the way.

- - - Updated - - -

We were shown the whole container depot planning software up in the office beforehand, it's quite nifty! Shows where everything is not only in each stack but on a scale map of the place. And sadly no I didn't get to inconvenience anyone, they closed off the zone so I was the only vehicle in it. Probably a good idea :D

Got a name of the software? Also, aww :( "Reorganizing" a parking lot with some 40' containers sounds like fun.

Sorry no idea what it might have been. Yes using them as huge Lego bricks would be fun, must build a fortress!

I wouldn't be surprised if they went further and renamed the GTI "Golf GTI" along the way.

Yes, it's supposedly already a done deal to call it the Golf GTI. Like others said, VW are actually going to really push the Golf family of cars in the US, rather than have two on a lot with hundreds of Jettas like they are now.

My E34 went to the garage for a minor treatment and I got a 2003 1.8 TDCI Focus STW as a substitute car. It had a mere 385 500km on the clock...

At first I didn't have my hopes too high about the car, but it surprised me positively. The engine was very happy, it had more than enough torque for a car like that. The brakes on the other hand..well..I guess you could say that it had brakes. I found it amusing that everything you'd expect to fail on a car of this age and mileage worked flawlessly and everyhting you'd expect to work worked only roughly. The original radio HU worked without problems, so did the side mirror heaters, but the door handles and windscreen wipers needed some negotiating when used.

Positive surprises aside, at the end of the day, I was more than happy to jump into my 20-year-old tanker and sail away from the old Ford.

Here's a photo. Not like anybody wouldn't know what a Ford Focus looks like.
IMG_20140212_084952.jpg

1.8 TDCi is the "good" diesel after all. That focus also had a 1.8 "TDDi" (TDdi?) that first appeared in the Sierra around 1986 as 1.8TD and wasn't even any good then.

It's a bit rough, but I guess more reliable than the newer 1.6 TDCI. Is the 1,8 a Ford-engine?

1780814_2068664644223_1935258599_n.jpg

That's me driving the BMW i3. This will be a very quick review since the drive was just a short loop near the convention center of the auto show.

Exterior

1911639_2068640683624_1015727133_n.jpg

Divisive, that's for sure. It's quite busy and makes some odd-looking choices, like the lower window line for the backseat passengers. I, for one, like it just fine, even though it is a bit overwrought. They could have conveyed the 'futuristic' message they wanted to without resorting to the pig face and complicated lines.

Interior

Big. Airy. Comfy. I would like input from anyone who owns or owned a luxury car for any significant period of time, as my perception is screwed from only having daily'd mass market cheap cars. But I thought the interior was fine. Cleaner than the outside, lots of light going in from the huge windows (and the split moonroof).

Tech

Lots of toys. This was my introduction to iDrive, now on version 4.2, and it wasn't bad. Took some adjustment, had some confusion (couldn't find the volume knob at first, until Leadfoot found it completely separate from every other control near the screen), but once I got it figured out it was nice and intuitive. Lots of menus, so knowing the system in and out would take a week, but for quickly hopping in it for a drive the shortcut keys were fine enough to navigate the important items. Also included were heated seats, auto climate controls and nav.

Driving

As a RWD electric car, it flies when the pedal goes down. That was fun. Outside of that, it's a city car, so it was pretty damn nimble. Also very comfortable. I hit one of the deep potholes in the city on accident, but it cushioned out the blow much better than my Dart. Steering wheel feel was a bit dead, but light. Again, city car.

What took more than a bit of adjusting to was the small changes not common in US cars. BMW envisioned a one-pedal operation, so they set the car to go into regenerative braking and light the brake lights when the foot comes off the gas. I only ever needed to push the brakes once at a stop, the car slowed down to lights on its own. For most of the loop I actually had to accelerate a bit forward again as the regenerative braking stopped the car earlier than I anticipated. Another small change was the signal stalks. It has two detents, first for the 3-flash lane change assist and the second for the actual turn signal, but the stalk returned to center once the mode was selected. This tripped me up, as I would correctly set the turn signal, then when the stalk followed my hand back to center I thought I cancelled it and quickly pushed it up again. Must have looked like an amber disco party for the first few turns while I set, "cancelled", and set the light again. Last change was the instrument cluster. Maybe there's a setting to change it, but it only displayed a digital speedometer, which I don't like. Below that was a tach-looking instrument that described how quickly you were using up charge or reclaiming it in regeneration. And below that was a segmented line with a readout beside it approximating the charge left in miles.

I didn't sit in the back seat, though Leadfoot had some difficulty climbing in through the suicide door.

Conclusion

I like the i3. I think I could use one for my daily driving. The problems come whenever I go back to the spec sheet. It doesn't go far, even with the range extender, and just the base model with no options is more than twice as much as any city car. Sure, BMW paints itself as a midluxury brand, but it's a hard sell on the i3 when Audi and Merc have nicely-optioned entry level cars with no range limitations and likely better highway driving for the same amount of money, and not even half the money buys you competent city cars from other manufacturers like the Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio, or FIAT 500. This is a vehicle that greatly highlights the differences in Europe and the US. I'm sure there's a more solid case for the i3 in Europe, where congestion charges are bypassed by EVs, city centers are tight, and public transit solidly works for commuters. Here, in the land of open roads, spotty transit, great distances, and no pollutant-based tax structure? It's likely to be only a second car for those with an M car as their daily, or for those who really want an EV city car, or for lottery winners.

I still really like the i3. Maybe one day my lottery ticket will hit.

Last edited:
If you win the lottery, surely you'd at least have a go in the i8 as well.

If you win the lottery, surely you'd at least have a go in the i8 as well.

Oh, I'd definitely test drive it, but I'm not sure on ownership. I'd still have garage limitations, and there's many other purely fun cars I'd rate above the i8 for various reasons (like the C7 Corvette, McLaren MP4-12C, Lamborghini Aventador, etc etc).

I drove an i3 at CES this year and was pretty impressed with it, but I had the same observation about the pedals as you did. For a non-performance EV, it was definitely faster than others I've driven. Decent space inside too, IMHO. But I'm not sold on the looks.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I might as well review my own car, a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES...

For the whole article, click here. But here's the final paragraph that includes my conclusion:

Many of the gripes and complaints that I have about my own Fiesta have been fixed with the release of the 2014 model. It is almost like the Fiesta engineers climbed into my head and heard my complaints. With the couple of little fixes, the Fiesta has gone from a good car to a great car. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Fiesta purchase. For those looking for a small car that is also fun to drive, there are not a huge number of options. The competition is growing, but the Ford Fiesta is still the best driving small car in its class for sale in the United States. If I were to replace the Fiesta, and want another small car, it would be replaced with another Fiesta.

Honestly, it's a Fiesta. It's a great driving car. Slow? Sure, but still fun.

First post in this thread. Though I rarely drive new vehicles, so this is a bit tongue in cheek.

1974 Datsun 620 Pickup

Exterior
While a handsome truck in it's heyday, 40 years ago, the years have not been kind to this particular example. Rust holes have developed in most every panel. The once glossy red paint has faded to a dull orange. Many of the panels also have been restyled by mother nature during the May 2011 Joplin, Missouri tornado.

Also as a result of the tornado, the truck lacks any glass. This takes open air motoring to a whole new level. While this is refreshing at lower speeds, as velocity increases the wind can be quite a nuisance. Goggles may do nothing, but are a good idea.

Interior
As a work vehicle from four decades ago, the interior is as you may expect. Spartan. Though Mother Nature has taken her toll here as well. The floor boards are rusted nearly completely away, with the driver's side adding more fresh air to the already open air experience and allowing a few errant rocks to make their way in as well. The radio doesn't work, neither do the dash lights.

Adorning every nook and cranny of the cab are broken bits of shattered glass and something that can only be described as "house pur?e". Consisting of little bits of fiberglass insulation, small splinters of wood, asphalt roof shingles and drywall. No doubt this cocktail is toxic. A filter mask is probably a good idea.

Space is a bit limited for your author's 5'10" 200+ pound plus frame. During spirited driving elbows and knees contact lots of points inside the cab and during taking it off sweet jumps, my head hits the roof.

Performance
Power is provided by an L18 1.8 litter inline 4 cylinder. The engine's power delivery is not linear, with the engine surging through the revs. Occasionally the engine will sputter to a hault while shifting or coming to a stop. A gas saving feature no doubt, well before any hybrid was dreamed of. Though the engine does seem to move the truck's 2750 pound weight along with relative ease. Lacking testing equipment, I'd venture to guess that 0-60 takes at least 2 weeks to arrive, postage not included.

The five speed gear box (four forward, one reverse), provides a fun game of " Find the Gear". Here the wear of 40 trips around the sun have made the gear stick sloppy and difficult to select the next gear. Am I in 2nd? 4th? 3 and 13/64ths? Who cares! Drop the clutch and hammer down!

Braking provides plenty of excitement as the pedal is plenty firm, however pedal effort is on the very high side. Under heavy braking the truck pulls to the right and the rear wheels lock up. On gravel this means the truck will try to swap ends on the driver, but a little opposite lock will keep the truck in a reasonably straight line. Braking distance, like acceleration, will take some time and much distance.

In Conclusion
As a truck it does what it is supposed to, haul heavy things in the bed and go down the roughest of dirt roads. Creature comforts may be lacking, but as it is a forty year old small truck, we will overlook those few faults. On a scale of 10 this is a solid 3.1476.

Do you want to see the man go bankrupt or something? :lol:

I'd like to find some glass for it, that way I can actually register it for road use. Otherwise, it'll be stuck at either my house or the dragstrip. I did "fix" the driver's side floorboard though. I found a sheet of aluminum that was exactly the right size and used some self tapping screws to hold it in place.