Outakes No Longer Available in the U.S.?

daedalus

This week for the first time when trying to view the Ep. 5 outtakes the player loaded in my browser and then said this...

2liv5l0.png

Anyone else from the U.S. having these issues?

I was just about to make a thread on this, I am glad I refreshed before I did. I am having the same issue and I am from the US. This is rubbish. :(

I already sent an email to the TG site at tgweb@bbc.co.uk, we'll see what they say. I got a very similar message when I was trying to watch F1 live via ITV's website.

I know you UK lot dont like us yanks much, but don't take away content from the TG UK site that we can ONLY get there and no where else. :(

Yeah, I was just trying to watch the new clips as well and saw the same message...

As i mentioned in ze other thread, i've uploaded the outtakes and all the news to TechZ's FTP, totals around 130mb, you can get it and watch it without all this tomfoolery :)

I'm close to the englanders, and I cant see them either! Trying the alternative proxy now

Yeah, i can't watch it either.. That's ridiculous.. Are they having bandwith problems or is it copyright issues or what isthe reason? :b

This is horrible! that would be horrible of them, they have to let us use it again

Wow. I didn't expect this, especially after the site has been up for a while and is full of clips. Maybe it's the other clips that have prompted the BBC to chuck this thing on, rather than the outtakes.

Looks like proxy hunting I shall go then!

I wonder if the bandwidth used to serve those outside the UK was costing them a crap ton of money, and they saw it as a unnecessary expense? That is the only thing I can see stopping them. I guess it could be a BBC license holder thing too, again related to the cost of serving that stuff to the whole world vs. just the UK (who is actually footing the bill).

I live in Sweden and have the same issue as you guys. But some of the older videos does work..

I am going to sound 'old' for mentioning this....but here goes: I remember when mp3's were just starting to come into their own and people could actually buy mp3 players making music really much more portable. The music industry hacks were slow on the take and pirate sites went up daily offering free mp3's to the masses. Finally Metallica and Dr. Dre complained about not getting their Ferrari money so they unleashed the RIAA. Chief complaint was that no music was available legally and so people were forced into breaking the law. So, given a choice of not getting Ferrari money or making music and video available to a wider audience the hacks at the labels got a clue and figured out the bottom line was better going with this new fangled interweb delivery system thingy called iTunes.

The same thing has happened with other media content, such as our beloved TG. I would buy their content if they made it available and I don't believe that there is some international copyright law preventing them from making it available to the masses - if Steve Jobs over at Apple can do it, surely the BBC can.

I lived in the UK and paid a license fee, which was not THAT expensive so why cant they rub two brain cells together like the music hacks and figure out that we live in a digital age and people want the goods!

Sorry for the rant...

I lived in the UK and paid a license fee, which was not THAT expensive so why cant they rub two brain cells together like the music hacks and figure out that we live in a digital age and people want the goods!

+1

IMO, your rant is more than justified. (Though, to add to that whole music bit, then came that stupid DRM thing. Grr.)

My view is that they should make them available to foreigners for a nominal fee - say 10c USD per annum/6 months/month (take your pick) say.

UK people who have paid through the Licence fee so should be free.

I agree with you Cobol74, and that is the point I was trying to make in my post. They have BBC iPlayer, just make the service a pay-as-you-go service like iTunes for all non-license payers outside the UK. Failing the iPlayer idea make the programming available through iTunes.