Pacific Northwest Meet 2014 - June 21st starting in Olympia, WA

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
What: A cruise around the Olympic Peninsula to enjoy the scenery, hopefully the nice weather, and just to go for a drive with follow car nuts.

When: June 21st, 2014 at 9am.

Where: Olympia, Washington near Seattle. Within a few hours of both Portland (where I am) and Vancouver, Canada. We'll be meeting at 1313 Cooper Point Road Southwest, Olympia, WA 98502 (Haggen Top Food).

Map: Approximate route

Original post:

Spring and summer will be here before too long. We should do one in June or July when there's no chance of having bad weather.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I think Joel/rootrider was saying that the west side of that can be boring with people going slow and that it might be better to just loop around the sound.

I'll ping him.

I grew up in Kitsap and now live in Seattle, I've looped around the two many times, not all that interesting.

Alright, well I'll leave it in then hands of you locals as to what route we take then. I'm clueless about the area. :)

I grew up in Kitsap and now live in Seattle, I've looped around the two many times, not all that interesting.

the two?

June is definitely best for me, but not the weekend of June 14th (the 1000+ car Leavenworth Drive is that Saturday). I'd say that early July is good too, but the first weekend is July 4th, and I leave for Europe on the second weekend :(

I love the drive around the Olympic Peninsula.. by any route. But it's best enjoyed when you can make a few good stops. The time adds up quickly and it ends up being a full day. But then, that isn't very different from the Cascade Loop we did a while back. Do note, viper, that if you plan on staying in Bellevue like last time, you would likely want to take a ferry back from Kingston or Bainbridge rather than drive back through Tacoma or Olympia... this is presuming that we're driving around clockwise (I've actually never done the loop counter-clockwise for some reason).

I think Joel/rootrider was saying that the west side of that can be boring with people going slow and that it might be better to just loop around the sound.

I'll ping him.

I was referring to the eastern part of 101, where it follows the Hood Canal. It's definitely often slow, with very few places to pass and a little too much tourist traffic. It's a pretty drive though. If people are up for it.. I'd do it anyway.

Last edited:
Do note, viper, that if you plan on staying in Bellevue like last time, you would likely want to take a ferry back from Kingston or Bainbridge rather than drive back through Tacoma or Olympia... this is presuming that we're driving around clockwise (I've actually never done the loop counter-clockwise for some reason).

Yeah, I'd drive up the day or night before and stay with my sister in Bellevue and then probably crash at her place again that night to avoid driving home. Either way she'd probably come with me so I'd have to drop her off at home afterwards.

I'm in, I don't have any big plans for June/July yet. I'd like to go around the peninsula, via 101. We could probably stop in Forks for food and fuel. Driving through South Whidbey would add some interesting scenery, but it would require two ferries.

Should we meet in Redmond again, or is Olympia a better spot for everyone?

meeting in Redmond would make for a l lot of uninteresting highway driving. I think it would make more sense to meet in Olympia, right off of 101. There's still plenty of uninteresting highway driving after that before you get to the coast north of Grays Harbor. ;)

If my Corolla is running well enough by this time, I'll do my best to make it down. I will keep my eye on this thread.

slightly more.. not much. But a much nicer car :)

the wagon has ~175hp & 300 ft-lb and is around 3500 lb
the car I'm likely getting has 225hp & 215 ft-lb and is around 3600 lb

Very interested in joining again like I did in 2012. A good friend of mine who just bought a brand new Subaru BRZ is interested too!

Any idea of a date?

Let's pick a weekend!

The weekend of the 21st/22nd works best for me, but I can also do the 7th/8th.

21st/22nd would be better for me as my bike is still in the shop.

The other question: do we want to do Saturday or Sunday? Since it sounds like we won't be meeting at Redmond Town Center because it's too far out of the way, it doesn't make a big difference. Perhaps Saturday though so that those who have a long drive home won't have work in the morning.

err.. 21st/22nd or 7th/8th of what month?

if anyone cares, I'm gone most of July. Sundays are going to normally be better for me.. we already have a lot of Saturdays full for the summer.
Honestly, my chances of making this are slim, but I'll show up if the day is free :thumbsup: