PC vs. Mac , Which one are you ?!

PC vs. Mac , Which one are you ?!

• Total voters
The main advantage "PCs" (Windows... PCs are all of them) is the freedom for developpers to do stuff.

Mac OS X comes with a full programing suite on the install disc (you need to pay Microsoft hundreds of dollars for theirs).

Alas this is a never ending discussion and this is my choice, you might agree or disagree but if you do disagree, don't worry, I won't try to convince you to 'join me'

I haven't seen anyone try to convince someone to use a Mac here. I am a believer in using whatever works. If you want to play games and like Windows, that's the best choice for you. I run my home server on FreeBSD, I have a Mac Mini for daily use, a PC for games, and at work use Windows XP. The right operating system and computer to use is the one best for the job.

Mac OS X comes with a full programing suite on the install disc (you need to pay Microsoft hundreds of dollars for theirs).

I haven't seen anyone try to convince someone to use a Mac here. I am a believer in using whatever works. If you want to play games and like Windows, that's the best choice for you. I run my home server on FreeBSD, I have a Mac Mini for daily use, a PC for games, and at work use Windows XP. The right operating system and computer to use is the one best for the job.
Can I please make fun of you for having a Mac Mini? :p

Heh. Be my guest.

I currently use a mac and love it... Plus when my win 7 partition gets a virus, i can retreat to the comfort and safety of mac.

Used to be windows, currently mac/linux.

Going Mac soon :D
I reckon I will order a standard MacBook Pro 13'' this friday :D Im really exited! :D

iWork or OpenOffice as for now, unless you MUST have MS Office. Office 2011 will be out in October, by then it'll by far be the best office package for OSX.

+1 for MS Office

Just make sure you're very familiar with it before you take it to class to take notes though. I dove right into Office 2008 without knowing fully all its features and nuances and ended up not being able to keep up taking notes.

Moral of the story: Don't be an idiot like me and assume you know everything. Take time to get to know it. :)

Yeah, I've heard about some kind of "note-mode" for word? :)

I was also thinking about Parallels 5 (since I have to use some few Windows applications in school). Can I make a virtual machine from a boot camp partition?
So I can use Parallels 5 in class and boot into the the same partition in boot camp and play some games once in a while? :)

Last edited:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most households can't afford 4 computers per person to do everything they need to do on different systems, and if you have to settle for 1 computer you'd have to go with a Windows machine... jack of all trades, master of none (perhaps master of gaming).

I do not have a windows machine. I have a windows partition but that is exclusively for a painting program that they don't make for mac. :|
I haven't actually had any other issues except for maybe websites that won't run in anything but IE, but who actually uses IE anymore anyway?

I do not have a windows machine. I have a windows partition but that is exclusively for a painting program that they don't make for mac. :|
I haven't actually had any other issues except for maybe websites that won't run in anything but IE, but who actually uses IE anymore anyway?

Just about every business computer ever, judging by the people I support (some of the products have it as a requirement). At home, I haven't launched it in ages.

My next computer, sadly, won't be a Mac again. I strongly disagree with most of their laptop hardware design decisions.
First of all, Apple's keyboards have been getting worse with every generation since the Pismo PowerBook. While the outdatedness of my Pismo is epic, i actually have reactivated my G4 iBook for writing my Ph.D thesis as the keyboard, while worse than the Pismo's, is so much better than that of my current-gen MacBook. This alone would be a dealbreaker.
But there's more: I hate the buttonless touchpad. Multitouch is brilliant, but especially for dragging & dropping i want the option of using a simple mouse button.
And on top of that the glossy screen of my MacBook is driving me nuts. I want a matte display for my next laptop, which flat out rules out any Mac in my budget range.

So i'll get a ThinkPad and will try to chose the components wisely enough to make the conversion to a Hackintosh easy. Or simply go with Linux. To be honest, even Debian Sid never annoyed me as much as Apple's hardware does.

I currently use a mac and love it... Plus when my win 7 partition gets a virus, i can retreat to the comfort and safety of mac.

And this is why people can't have nice things. Thinking you are invincible to a virus just because you are on a Mac is really, really dumb.

And this is why people can't have nice things. Thinking you are invincible to a virus just because you are on a Mac is really, really dumb.

True, but it is much less likely. At the same time, however, I haven't had a virus on any of my Windows machines in years.... though somehow most of my family members have managed. Just a simple matter of keeping automatic updates on, and keeping an antivirus up to date. I'm not even going to say keep off sketchy sites because I can't say I have myself <_<

And on top of that the glossy screen of my MacBook is driving me nuts. I want a matte display for my next laptop, which flat out rules out any Mac in my budget range.

I feel ya... my Sony laptop is also glossy (I didn't chose it, it was a gift) and on any room which is anything above "dim", it's just a mirror. I don't know who came up to their boss and said "Hey boss, I've made a screen" cos honestly it's rubbish... "Jenkins you imbecile, this is a mirror not a screen"

And yeah for some reason companies insist on using IE. The call center I worked on was all IE-based... drove me nuts.