People who put beans in chili...

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
...should be forced to SMELL the consequences.

{ PHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTBPPPPBBBBB! }

I'll go ahead and exempt vegan/vegetarian variants, as you can't really do a meatless meat soup without SOMETHING to fill the void and thus, I expect beans then. Sometimes they're even okay. Spicy bean soup can be tasty sometimes.

But in the carnivore variety? They're an unpleasant surprise. Why on earth would you take up valuable space for meat with such gas-inducing bland little pellets of fail? At least label it appropriately on the menu so I know you don't know what chili *is* and can whip out the Gas-X, yo.

I feel like I'm getting shorted on meat, and thus, would like to fart on whoever's responsible when there are surprise legumes in my soup.

</rant>

I agree - beans have no place in chili.

I'm surprised that you found a place - in Texas, no less - that does that, apart from Wendy's. I thought it was a hanging offense to put beans in chili down in Texas. Unless you call it "chili beans" or something

If I make chili and people want beans, I'll cook some up and put them in a bowl. If they want beans in their chili, they can put them in themselves.

I agree - beans have no place in chili.

I'm surprised that you found a place - in Texas, no less - that does that, apart from Wendy's. I thought it was a hanging offense to put beans in chili down in Texas. Unless you call it "chili beans" or something

If I make chili and people want beans, I'll cook some up and put them in a bowl. If they want beans in their chili, they can put them in themselves.

I am proud to say I have never put beans in my Chilli ever.

That being said if you make competition Chili, at least around here, you have to put beans in the people's chili that is served to the public. That is how the competition chili for the Judges is segregated for the regular chili available for sale or sample.

Now I want chilli. Stupid blizzard I do not think I have enough meet at home to make a good pot of chilli now and I am not going to brave a grocery store now.

I wonder if there is any roadkill on the way home ... :D

Beans in "People's Choice" chili is actually an ICS (International Chili Society, the sanctioning body that judges the cook-offs) regulation:

ICS Rules & Regulations said:
10. People's Choice Chili is governed by the SPONSORING ORGANIZATION and cookoff chairman of each cookoff, NOT THE ICS. The chairman can require (a) 2 gallons maximum in lieu of a cash entry fee; (b) 1 gallon maximum in addition to a cash entry fee or (c) a cash fee. Non-compliance by a contestant of the chairman?s requirement will result in disqualification. Discrimination by cookoff officials will result in non-sanctioning of their event the following year. PEOPLE?S CHOICE CHILI MUST CONTAIN BEANS.

Which sucks for me, because I don't like beans in mah chili!

I like beans in my chili.. Don't really care about some arbitrary convention, I think it tastes nice and adds a little something extra :)

Holy crap! I thought I was the odd one out for not liking beans in chili. Now I can continue to feel certain that my tastes are superior to others'.

I quite like beans in chili, but I prefer if it's not crammed full of them. For some reason my mum always uses baked beans in hers, but sometimes kidney beans aswell.

Last edited:
To each his (Or her) own.

I personally don't like beans in chili because I feel they don't really add anything - they're just filler, allowing the cook to skimp on the meat. The flavor of beans is so mild that you can't really taste them over the spices in the dish, so they just really add texture. And you can get that by using different cuts and grinds of meat.

Next time I make some chili, I'm going to see if my butcher can do a single grind on some ground beef and ground pork, and maybe add some ribeye or sirloin chopped into cubes. That should give me plenty of texture.

Only communists put beans in chili.

I thought chili always had beans. :blink:

Beans in "People's Choice" chili is actually an ICS (International Chili Society, the sanctioning body that judges the cook-offs) regulation:

Which sucks for me, because I don't like beans in mah chili!

This is the biggest load of fail that has ever been posted on the internet.

This sanctioning body has no merit whatsoever, as they don't even know what chili is.

Chili does not contain gott dang beans. Ever.

Not enough or the right minds of meat to make chilli tonight so I made chilli grilled cheese instead.

I make it like regular grilled cheese using white American but between the two slices add a mix of chilli powder black pepper and cayenne.

I have never put beans in chilli.... But then again, I've never made chilli.

I have no problem with beans in chilli when I order it out, but if I were to make my own it would be sans beans.

I prefer my chili with beans. Reason being I like my chili THICK. REALLY thick. If you can scoop it with a cracker without the cracker shattering, it isn't thick enough. Meat just doesn't lend itself to that like beans do. But then, I also put pineapple in it, so I'm a fucking heretic.

Thin, soupy chilis are great when other people cook them, but if I'm cooking it, it's got to be farty, spicy, sweet and thick.

Last edited:
I prefer my chili with beans. Reason being I like my chili THICK. REALLY thick. If you can scoop it with a cracker without the cracker shattering, it isn't thick enough. Meat just doesn't lend itself to that like beans do. But then, I also put pineapple in it, so I'm a fucking heretic.

31059060.jpg

In Texas Chili is meat in chile gravy. No onion, garlic or tomato, just several grinds of beef, spices and chiles. Add beer and simmer until meat is tender. Thicken and serve. Done.

The recipe is in what combination of meats and grinds, what spices and chiles, and how to thicken the chili. The debate on these ingredients and methods is legendary, but NEVER is there a question of should you add BEANS!

I like beans with chilli (chili? Different spelling?), especially kidney beans. Then again the general chilli in this country (I don't make my own) comes with less meat and more beans no matter where you get it from. Never tried an all meat one before but it's something I'd have to try if I ever make it to a FG Texasmeet.