People who put beans in chili...

My parent's go-to dish for large gatherings if "chili"...and it has macaroni in it. :p I don't have the nerve to tell the entire extended family that it's not really chilli, since that's what tey know it as, and ask for it as, but I'll be damned if every last drop isn't gone, no matter how much they bring. It's almost more of a thick thick minestrone as it's ground beef, tomoatoes, onions, celery and macaroni (or spiral if they are feeling festive) and spiced/seasoned as if it were a chili.

I prefer my chili with beans. Reason being I like my chili THICK. REALLY thick. If you can scoop it with a cracker without the cracker shattering, it isn't thick enough. Meat just doesn't lend itself to that like beans do. But then, I also put pineapple in it, so I'm a fucking heretic.

Thin, soupy chilis are great when other people cook them, but if I'm cooking it, it's got to be farty, spicy, sweet and thick.

Leave the pineapple out and thats my idea of a good chili!

I prefer my chili with beans. Reason being I like my chili THICK. REALLY thick. If you can scoop it with a cracker without the cracker shattering, it isn't thick enough. Meat just doesn't lend itself to that like beans do. But then, I also put pineapple in it, so I'm a fucking heretic.

Thin, soupy chilis are great when other people cook them, but if I'm cooking it, it's got to be farty, spicy, sweet and thick.

I like my chili thick as well. Which is why I always add a thickening agent to my chili. In the past, it's been masa, but I've been hearing that putting dehydrated potato flakes works just as well as a thickener without adding any bitterness to the chili. (Masa or cornstarch does change the flavor of chili a bit. Potatoes are flavor neutral.)

I think the definition of what is chili is as varied as what is BBQ. I think it's well known that "Texas chili" is all meat, but outside the Lone Star state, beans come into the mix with no questions asked, except for maybe Greek chili where beans are an add-on.

I grew up eating chili that was hamburger, kidney beans, chili beans, and your average chili spices. As I've grown older, I've experimented more and now my chili contains only chili beans and multiple types and cuts of meat.

As for thicker chili, instead of adding a thickener, I'd suggest just simmering your chili longer. The more water you boil out of it, the thicker it'll become.

One last thought, never EVER put pasta in your chili! It's chili, not spaghetti sauce!

I think the definition of what is chili is as varied as what is BBQ. I think it's well known that "Texas chili" is all meat, but outside the Lone Star state, beans come into the mix with no questions asked, except for maybe Greek chili where beans are an add-on.

Bingo. Chili has thousands of variations, and most of them have beans outside of Texas. I'm a big fan of kidney beans and black beans in my chili as it adds a nice variation in texture.

Whilst I agree that there are valid Chilli recipes with beans in - I would never, ever eat such a thing. Now if you stick some whisky in it. ? Yum.

I like my chili thick as well. Which is why I always add a thickening agent to my chili. In the past, it's been masa, but I've been hearing that putting dehydrated potato flakes works just as well as a thickener without adding any bitterness to the chili. (Masa or cornstarch does change the flavor of chili a bit. Potatoes are flavor neutral.)

Not really. All standard thickeners will mute the flavour slightly. You need to look into things like xanthan gum if you want something that does little to the flavour - or just reduce the liquid or use less liquid.

I'd never use thickener in a chili, you just reduce it till you've got the desired consistency. Thickening would really only be if you're really pressed for time, and then you really shouldn't be making chili.. :p

I put a tin of baked beans in with my chili because I'm British and ruining food is an enjoyable national pastime.

(I also like my curries korma, my fish battered and everything else deep fried and covered in salt and vinegar). :p

Last edited:
Okay, so I will admit to making this one the day Hurricane Ike came to town. We had an army staying and needed something that would feed them but also keep in case the power went out. It was good, but the squash bothered me. It did feed 8 the first night and three guys for another meal.

You all are forgetting veggie chili. It's all beans.

They may call it chili, but it's not chili - it is bean soup. If it is really thick it can be called bean stew. Ninjacoco and Sheldon Cooper are right.

Last edited: