Pepsi Throwback

I've heard that there's one bottler in Dublin, Texas that always does real sugar Dr. Pepper. It must be nice to live in that area.

And why can't the real sugar stuff be distributed outside of the US?

From a GIS of Dublin, Texas:

DublinTexasDrPepperSince1891MuseumSign1204TBrown2.jpg

I've heard that there's one bottler in Dublin, Texas that always does real sugar Dr. Pepper. It must be nice to live in that area.

I dunno about where you live, but over here all Pepsi and Coke is made with sugar, not HFCS. :D

Last edited:
I dunno about where you live, but over here all Pepsi and Coke is made with sugar, not HFCS.

Canada here. Sooooo too close to the US to get real sugar. :cry:

Over here in Jorup we have restricted high fructose [starch] syrup (Isoglucose) production to never exceed 2% of total sugar production because we think it's stupid.

Last edited:
The US, excluding Canada and Mexico, produces nearly four times the amount of corn that the whole of Europe produces. And I believe we have just over a third of the population of Europe. The corn lobby is certainly strong but there is no denying that the US has an abundance of corn and you can't blame the industry for taking advantage of supply and demand. The US would be shooting itself in the foot if they introduced legislation like that.

As for whether HFCS is bad there are lots of studies that go both ways, but there is still no hard evidence as of yet. As with all things moderation is best. As I've said before 6 cans of regular per week will always be better than 24 cans of diet per week.

Over here in Jorup we have restricted high fructose [starch] syrup (Isoglucose) production to never exceed 2% of total sugar production because we think it's stupid have a sugar beet industry to support.

FTFY

That too, two flies in one strike :p

I found a Heritage Dr Pepper today. Meh.

Tasted like cherry-cola-flavored grape snow cone syrup.

For me, the Pepsi is the best. It's a crisp-er feeling soda (not as heavy) but still taste very much like Pepsi. The Mt Dew is okay for something different...it has a strange taste compared to a regular Mt Dew, but a nice change of pace. I didn't really care for this Dr Pepper at all.

Yep - Dublin. It's pretty easy to find bottles of the stuff at the grocery stores here and there's a gas station and a BBQ place here that have Dublin DP in fountain form, too.

And it's yummy. :wub:

Finally found Pepsi Throwback today, bought three bottles.To me it tastes pretty much exactly the same, which was slightly disappointing, but it's definitely less syrupy, which I much like, particularly when it starts to warm up a little.

try drinking it side by side the difference is pretty subtle i feel like it has a cleaner finish than HFCS pepsi

Yeah, just finished the third bottle and I keep liking it more the more I drink it. I hope they store still has some when we go back this weekend.

Yeah, just finished the third bottle and I keep liking it more the more I drink it. I hope they store still has some when we go back this weekend.

good luck with that. I spoke with the pepsi guy at my local store and he said that there weren't getting anymore in so whatever is on the shelf is all thats left.

That too, two flies in one strike :p

I'll correct myself, the regulations apply to any kind of artificial high clucose syrup, sugar beet included.

I found a Heritage Dr Pepper today. Meh.

Tasted like cherry-cola-flavored grape snow cone syrup.

For me, the Pepsi is the best. It's a crisp-er feeling soda (not as heavy) but still taste very much like Pepsi. The Mt Dew is okay for something different...it has a strange taste compared to a regular Mt Dew, but a nice change of pace. I didn't really care for this Dr Pepper at all.

I found one about a week ago. I was pleasantly surprised (even more surprised that my school of all places had it, while Wal-Mart, CVS and Giant didnt) at how it tasted. I give it two thumbs up!

I just found a case of 12oz cans at a gas station, even though I've never seen it at Target/Safeway/Lucky/Walgreen's/CVS. *shrugs* It's in the fridge now. Hopeing it's better than from a bottle...

I went back to the store today and they had put some more bottles into the one cooler. Grabbed 7 bottles, left a few because as much as the world has been keeping it from me all this time, it seemed rude to do the same.

Re: Pepsi Throwback

smib said:

You know I've said the same thing about various beers.