Photo Restoration - anyone use one of these services before?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
I have a photo of me, my mom and my dad from when I was like 2 or 3. It's seen better days and I'm considering having it restored.

Has anyone used a photo restoration service before? If so, would you recommend them? Costco and Walgreens offer restoration services, but I fear the damage may be too great for them to resolve.

The (very 80's) photo in question:

nt7Hi10.jpg

If you could properly scan it I can fix it for you!

I would agree that it certainly looks fixable with a good scan. :)

I would agree that it certainly looks fixable with a good scan. :)
Awesome. I tried using the copier at work and was able to get a scan but it's cut off..I think I had a setting wrong.

Yes I work in IT. Yes, I should know this. Lol
If you could properly scan it I can fix it for you!

I too could help if needed.
Fight!

Whoever is the least busy I guess? I'd be willing to pay if that helps.

Awesome. I tried using the copier at work and was able to get a scan but it's cut off..I think I had a setting wrong.

Yes I work in IT. Yes, I should know this. Lol

IT and scanning are two different things.

We used to scan a lot of photos for our newspaper. Getting a handle on DPI, size, etc. takes awhile. That and every scanner seems to have a different way of relaying that information. I'd suggest scanning it at 110% and 300 DPI. Or some combination thereof.

Fight!

Whoever is the least busy I guess? I'd be willing to pay if that helps.

No fight, if I can lend a hand I'm willing to help.

IT and scanning are two different things.

We used to scan a lot of photos for our newspaper. Getting a handle on DPI, size, etc. takes awhile. That and every scanner seems to have a different way of relaying that information. I'd suggest scanning it at 110% and 300 DPI. Or some combination thereof.

No fight, if I can lend a hand I'm willing to help.

I had the UPS Store scan it since I couldn't really get time to use the copier like I wanted. If this isn't detailed enough, lemme know and I'll do it at the copier:

http://i.imgur.com/lKBQDza.jpg

I could possibly do it this evening, but if anyone else is keen and quicker I don't mind of course!

We all love Rick, but you know what happens when someone requests a 'picture fix' on the internet...

I could possibly do it this evening, but if anyone else is keen and quicker I don't mind of course!

Sounds good! Take all the time you need, not in a rush.

We all love Rick, but you know what happens when someone requests a 'picture fix' on the internet...

:lol: I trust you guys.

I won't be at my computer that has Photoshop until Wednesday. If it's still needing done then, I'll do it.

Sounds good! Thanks!

There were quite visible jpeg artifacts in the scanned photo, if that bothers you it would have to be redone. If not, here's the restored picture, I can adjust brightness, contrast etc. if you wish:

20150915-rick_2.jpg

Last edited:
Try again!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a little less contrast is better:

20150915-rick_2-2.jpg

Try again!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a little less contrast is better:

View attachment 16576

Cool! Thanks so much man, I seriously appreciate it and will PM you with details re payment. I did realize that the stupid UPS scanner turned my dad like 3+ shades darker than IRL lol. If you don't feel like adjusting that, I totally understand.

Don't worry about payment...

I can lighten up the picture, the compression artifacts will just get more obvious. How about this:

20150915-rick_2-4.jpg

I think I misadjusted my display a bit, looking at the pictures on another machine they look much darker. I'll readjust tomorrow.

I think I misadjusted my display a bit, looking at the pictures on another machine they look much darker. I'll readjust tomorrow.

No worries man, thanks again for doing this for me!