PHP & Database Help

wooflepoof

WoofleDay
Car(s)
Genesis Sedan 3.8
I'm working a social network-esque website which i find requires alot of database/php programming. I'm wondering if anyones expertise lies in this kind of web work. At the very least I'd like some help with setting it all up and what have you.

thanks in advance

I work with php/mySQL on a daily basis, but I'm heading on a road trip bright and early in the morning.

Hire Viper :D

That's like asking for a little bit of help with building a car from scratch.

well, if you're building a car from scratch and all you have is 3 or 4 books you downloaded and printed from the library, EVERY little bit helps. Plus i know the lingo and the basics. Its just the details and connection stuff which is kinda confusing ad such. Its also such a vast project i wanna know how to connect this to that etc.

I can't say I really suggest starting off with something so complex, but whatever. :)

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

Make sure to run mysql_real_escape_string() on ALL user-supplied data to avoid SQL injection!

Oh, you are trying to build this from scratch? I thought you were just trying to modify a pre-existing open source script.......

Yeah, I don't recommend building something so big if you only know the basics.

Either find a free script and try to modify it to your needs, or hire someone like Viper :)

Last edited:
Oh, you are trying to build this from scratch? I thought you were just trying to modify a pre-existing open source script.......

Yeah, I don't recommend building something so big if you only know the basics.

Oh, I may have gotten the wrong impression.

Either way, this isn't a good project to start getting your feet wet with. ;)

Either find a free script and try to modify it to your needs, or hire someone like Viper :)

Like being the key word here. Writing something like this from scratch is an insane amount of work, something I don't have time for.

Woof, here's a free social network script. Dolphin

I'm still not clear on what you need help with. Are you trying to build this from scratch or do have a script already? Or are you having problems getting a pre-built script working?

Last edited:
Writing something like this from scratch is an insane amount of work, something I don't have time for.

Yeah, I just built a customer management system from scratch (company had unique needs, so it was the only option). Ton of work, but it paid $40 an hour, so I can't complain :)

Yeah, I just built a customer management system from scratch (company had unique needs, so it was the only option). Ton of work, but it paid $40 an hour, so I can't complain :)
Yeah, I gotta up my rate. Been charging $30/hour lately, but then again that's for easy WordPress work (plugins, etc.)

I charge $40 for stuff that annoys me. :lol:

Well, once i find proper funding I think I'll just hire one of you guys. Easy:)

Any way I can get estimates on a project of this scale? Or just large ones in general? I need to have something to put down on paper

Well, once i find proper funding I think I'll just hire one of you guys. Easy:)

Any way I can get estimates on a project of this scale? Or just large ones in general? I need to have something to put down on paper
Hard to say, but if it's from scratch, easily thousands I'd say.

would about 5k be a safe bet for your or Jeffy's services?
Hard to say honestly without seeing a list of wanted features, but yeah, that'd probably be the minimum for quality work.

I just need something w/ which to put on my business plan. I gotta finish this by mid June so hopefully find funds by July(not sure how long it all takes) but my ultimate goal is to have the site up by September.

I think I'd like to hire exclusively from FG cuz thats how i know i can get quality service...actually, i don't feel like looking through the internet for web design companies.

Yeah, 5K should be enough, but as Viper said it's hard to give an exact figure without knowing exactly what you want.