Pizza!

jmsprovan

This was the fourth or fifth time I have made pizzas from scratch i think they turned out the best this time :)

Before i get called a fat bastard these were for 7 people :lol: Mum, Dad, 2 brothers, grand parents and I.

Some of the pizza bases were from the last time when I made too much dough.

(these pics were taken on my phone so excuse the quality)

Pizzas1.jpg

Pizzas2.jpg

Pizzas3.jpg

Pizzas4.jpg

Pizzas5.jpg

Pizzas6.jpg

Pizzas7.jpg

Pizzas8.jpg

Pizzas9.jpg

Turned out quite well i think :D

I want a big pizza stone like that! My only tip for improvement would be to make your own pizza sauce.

Simple yet delicious pizza sauce (and it doesnt taste garlicy, despite the amounts of garlic):

Heat a couple of sliced fat garlic cloves (3 or 4 probably) and a good handful of fresh basil in 3 tablespoons of good olive oil.
Let it sizzle away for 15 seconds (tilt the pan so you dont get hot fat on you, the basil will spit quite vigorously) and then throw in 2 tins of high quality chopped tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes.

Now get a fine sieve with a bowl underneath and pour the sauce over. Use a tablespoon to push all the goodness through the sieve, this will give the sauce some thickness.

Pizza-sauce-of-win: DONE!

i really ought to try making my own pizza sauce, its the only thing i don't think i've tried yet :) also there wasn't any mushrooms in the house today which is strange considering my parents quite like them :?

It takes no longer than 5-10 minutes from start to finish and it tastes really authentic, just like on those pizzas you have in good Italian restaurants.
The recipe originates from Gennaro Contaldo by the way.

My favorite pizza:

- Sweet chili sauce
- Tex-mex cheese
- Chicken
- Bacon
- Banana Peppers

Is your crust rock hard aswell? Whenever I try to make my own pizza I nearly break all of my teeth on the crust. <_<

in the third picture the glass jar has a sauce called salsina, it is more like real tomato sauces because it has visible herbs, garlic and large pieces of very ripe tomato in it. its great on pizza and also in pasta foods.

although I wouldn't have it on a pizza i'm quite fond of Reggae Reggae Sauce, it makes a great marinade for chicken and red meat like beef: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae_Reggae_Sauce

Is your crust rock hard aswell? Whenever I try to make my own pizza I nearly break all of my teeth on the crust. <_<

nope, they had a bit of a bite but nowhere near teethbreaking

nope, they had a bit of a bite but nowhere near teethbreaking
I must be doing something horribly wrong then. Do you brush the crust with olive oil before putting it in the oven?

I brushed the edges with milk so they go golden when cooked, i don't know if it makes them softer though

Looking mighty good there sir... i am loving the smoked sausage idea... my parents do a saukraut kielbasa and swiss pizza that just blows my mind also i am going to agree with efoolution on the curry sauce sooo full of win with some grilled chicken red onions and basil fucking great

i do wanna suggest you get a pizza stone (unless you have one and i don't see it in the pictures) It will seriously take your crust to the next level.

I brushed the edges with milk so they go golden when cooked, i don't know if it makes them softer though
Hm no, I tried that before. Doesn't make them softer.

Looks like I'll have to go out and buy a pizza stone, I'm running out of ideas. :p

Looks like I'll have to go out and buy a pizza stone, I'm running out of ideas. :p

seriously fucking best thing ever for homemade pizza. Also i know some people bake their crusts before they put toppings on so that way it is soft in the center with a bit of crunch then they put on the toppings and just broil till the cheese melts which shouldn't over cook the crust.

i googled "Pizza Stone" to find out what the hell you guys were going on about, no I don't use a pizza stone. I use a standard oven trays like this:

Flour oven tray - Place pizza on oven tray - set timer for 25mins

at around 75% of the cooking time slide the pizzas off of the tray straight onto the oven rack (by this time the pizzas are firm enough not to go through the rack) this makes sure the underside is not the putty consistency while keeping the insides nice and fluffy.

I use a fan oven btw so the heat is even throughout ;)

Looks pretty good! My sister and I were going to get stuff from the supermarket to make pizza tonight but mum took my car and apparently I'm banned from driving the BMW without a parent (although I seriously considered it then figured I'd probably scratch it because that's how lucky I am) so we ordered in Domino's. It was ok. Not as good as home made though.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to pizza - or purist, if you want.

I only accept the original Pizza Margherita, which means thin dough, tomato and cheese, with maybe salami or ham or mushrooms on it. When you add too many toppings, you only get a flavour chaos.

And of course it has to come from a fire-heated stone oven, so the only place to get it, is a good Italian trattoria. No matter how hard you try, you'll never get it as good as there.

If it is done right, the simple Pizza Margherita is a flavorful revelation :)