playstation 2 on hdtv, what cable ?

Ice_warmer

ok so i have a slim ps2 pal with the standard composite cable, and the image on my hdtv is grainy and especially blurry, and i've heard that by using component cables you get better quality image.
i wonder, is there any real diffrence ?

and found some crazy stuff
whilst googleing

and another thing, anyone tried connecting an external HDD via-USB and somehow play games ?

Well, the best cable you can use on the PS2 is the component which will be much better than the composite cable you're using. Component has the bandwidth to push 1080p so it will make your PS2 as crisp as it will ever be.

As for that software, I've never heard of it and I've never tried hooking a USB hard drive to mine.

Depending on the game, Component makes a HUGE difference.
Component max is actually 1080i not p :)
and most games can't support that, but lots do support progressive scan so you at least get 480p and if not you still get 480i which is better then composite xD.
But, if you play games like GT4, they do support 1080i - and look basically, incredible.

If you "chip" your PS2 you can use the USB HDD to play games - some people actually buy HDDs for their PS2s (i think Sony made a 40GB one a while ago, and it attached to the back side - dont think the slim can do that though).

Last edited:
But, if you play games like GT4, they do support 1080i - and look basically, incredible.
Note that only the NTSC versions of GT4 support 480p and 1080i, the PAL version doesn't. Otherwise, I'm all with yout guys: component cable is the way to go.

I'm buying one of those! My PS2 has sat on a shelf for 2 years because it looks equally as awful on my HDTV, so being able to play it in HD would be great. Shame the controllers are still rubbish though.

Why are the controllers rubbish? I loved the PS2 controllers.<_<

so why not xbox360 controllers in ps3?

and another thing, anyone tried connecting an external HDD via-USB and somehow play games ?

yes, but it doesn't work...you CAN get "acquired" games to work on the slim, but it's a creepy and complicated process that requires you tape over some "eyes" so the PS2 thinks the lid is closed, then removing the spinning DVD for a few seconds, and putting it back

then again, most PS2 games nowadays are 10-20?s so I didn't even bother with that...

And also : PS2 controllers FTW. I never got why the 360s are considered to be better, its too fat and clunky IMO

Component connections on the PS2 make the games look amazingly good for some of their ages. You won't go back to Component video because there is no downside to upgrading (except that loss of $30 for the cable). Obviously the cable comes in handy when you upgrade to the PS3 since they both use the same connections.

yeah finally got some time to search round the shops, and only found a 10 euros cable, it's 1.8 meters, do i have to fear interference, is it too cheap ? i don't like buyers remorse ...

Last edited:
I have a Fat PS2 softmodded with FreeMcBoot. If you don't want to install a mod chip, this is what you can do to run PS2 backups from a HD. What you are looking for is an elf file called HDloader. You can use FreeMcBoot to open ElfLoader on your PS2 in order to load HDloader. In order to install FreeMcBoot you are going to need to somehow get files on your MemoryCard. I used Action Replay which would copy files from a USB drive to the Memory card. I have never installed FreeMcBoot on a slim PS2, nor a PAL PS2. Although there are complications, which you can make sure you won't encounter by making sure your PS2 is compatible (Check the Serial against a tutorial), I have seen PS2 Slims run FreeMcBoot on youtube. Hope I helped.