Pope Francis...Time "Person of the Year"

Firecat

Politically Charged
You can watch this video from about the 6 minute mark

So the Pope has been quite outspoken about Capitalism and several other issues, and seems to be gaining a lot of popularity even outside of the Catholic Church. From what i've read, he drive around in an old renault instead of the pope mobile or limo.

via wiki

Pope Francis, while affirming the present Church teachings, has stated that Catholics have concentrated officiously on condemning abortion, contraception, and homosexual acts, while neglecting the greater need for tenderness, mercy and compassion.

After being branded a Marxist by Rush Limbaugh and other conservatives as a result of his critique of unfettered capitalism, Pope Francis responded:

Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don?t feel offended ... there is nothing in the exhortation that cannot be found in the social doctrine of the church

He's made comments about how atheists will still go to heaven. Washing the feet of women (including some Muslim women). Suspending a Bishop for spending a huge sum on a house.

Is he taking the Church in a new direction? or is this just PR? Because I think fundamentally, there are certain beliefs that will never change no matter who the Pope is.

*Edit

Oh yeah, he also uses twitter and took a selfie

Last edited:

I used to be a Catholic before I quit the church (I was atheist long before but did not quit church), and one of the things that actually drove me finally out of there was the leadership of the church (not just the popes, but a fish rots from the head down).
Pope Francis has in the short time of his popeship (?!) gained a lot of respect from myself and also fellow atheists.
For a start, he seems an actual Christian, taking his faith from the actual Christian holy scripture about CHRIST - the new testament. And this - is the true revolution. A catholic pope, actually taking his faith from the new testament, not the batshit crazy old one. I like that. A lot.
He also seems to feel like it is his duty (and that of the church in general) is to serve the people. A lot of democratically elected politicians do not even see their job this way, jet the pope does.

[...]there are certain beliefs that will never change no matter who the Pope is.
The Church has changed a lot in the last couple of centuries. It was forced to. And it will continue to change. Just because the change is much more slower than in the society around it, does not mean it?s standing still. And looking at the new testament, I see little carved in stone there about the church. What is holding the church back, is (and has always been) not the faith and the texts they are based on - but it?s own selfmade traditions. They did that to themselves basically, they can undo it if they see fit.

Quite frankly, I think my Person of the year (as in alive) is Pope Francis too. I don?t think there is anyone around who changed things for the better (and with a few words at that) as he did this year.

He also seems to feel like it is his duty (and that of the church in general) is to serve the people. A lot of democratically elected politicians do not even see their job this way, yet the pope does.

And here you've touched the key aspect I think, Francis has made it his mission to take the church back to the people and tear down the concept of this massive, impossible-to-reach church and is trying to take it back to the people. Also, the man eludes the swiss guard and Takes his Renault 4 early in the morning to feed the homeless, that in itself is awesome.

His papacy has taken a breath of fresh air to a rather stolid and uptight church, I have no doubt that we will see more great things while he's in charge.

This is a popularity contest, most don't even understand the things that Snowden released and why he is a hero for doing it.

Must build more bridges over troubled water before arcing narf again... anyone?

Done!

Also, while I'm not Catholic, I am amazed at the teachings of this man..and I am happy to see it happening in my lifetime. Finally, a Christian person who is following the teachings of Christ!

I am still very much anti-Catholic, but this one is far better than Rat. Still the Catholic Church is tied to ancient societal values that are not compatible with modern society. We've moved, in the West, from familial power to a merit based society. The pressures of hoarding up a large family don't exist now, but the Church still fights contraceptives and homosexuals.

This is a popularity contest, most don't even understand the things that Snowden released and why he is a hero for doing it.

I agree. The Catholic Church has been hemorrhaging followers everywhere but Africa. They aren't all that important.

Done!

Also, while I'm not Catholic, I am amazed at the teachings of this man..and I am happy to see it happening in my lifetime. Finally, a Christian person who is following the teachings of Christ!

Jesus didn't rule in a palace that was just yards from his home.

Last edited:
At least this is a good step towards moving away from the more excessive lavishes towards something a little more simple.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) ? Pope Francis has decided not to move into the papal apartments in the Apostolic Palace, but to live in a suite in the Vatican guesthouse where he has been since the beginning of the conclave that elected him, said Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, Vatican spokesman.

http://www.thecatholictelegraph.com...vatican-guesthouse-not-papal-apartments/13355

Last edited:
I'd be more impressed if he moved away from here:

Crepescular_rays_in_saint_peters_basilica.JPG

He is still a short distance from that and the rest of the lavish wealth the Church has collected for millennia.

You can't expect the man to do a complete 180 within the first year of his papacy. Like you said, the church is sitting on millena of doctrine and bad joojoo. These things take time and what he's done so far is more than anyone has ever expected to happen. Wait a few more years and look back again.

I'll give him that benefit, but I wouldn't start fawning so early either.

I undestand that it doesn't jive well with the underlying message, it's at complete odds in fact. On the other hand, these palaces etc already exist and people visit them etc. So it can't be undone. Most institutions, whether religious or government, build these sorts of places as a show.

I mentioned how he suspended the so-called "Bishop of Bling".....so he seems to be pushing for a more simple or humble way of life. As with you, I'll give him the benefit and hope that the income derived from the luxuries that already exist are spent wisely.

- - - Updated - - -

In his latest address, the Pope warned of there being too much gossiping amongst Church officials. He also did some reshuffling and ousted a staunch conservative Cardinal from the US (the one that denied John Kerry communion over his stance on abortion, I believe).

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-warns-against-mediocrity-gossip-vatican-102315373.html;_ylt=A0oG7kPUkrdSGWsAxVRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0OHIyZThrBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2F jMgR2dGlkA1NXSU1DMV8x
Other changes are on the horizon: In the coming weeks Francis will name his first batch of cardinals and in February will preside over the third summit of his "Group of Eight" cardinal advisers, who are expected to put forward a first round of proposals for revamping the Holy See bureaucracy.

Francis has said he wants a Vatican Curia that is more responsive to the needs of local bishops, who have long complained of Rome's slow or unhelpful interventions in their work caring for souls. Francis has said he wants the church as a whole to be less consumed with moralizing than showing mercy to the needy, wherever they are.

You can't expect the man to do a complete 180 within the first year of his papacy. Like you said, the church is sitting on millena of doctrine and bad joojoo. These things take time and what he's done so far is more than anyone has ever expected to happen. Wait a few more years and look back again.

I'm glad he doesn't have the pressure of re-election like regular politicians. So he has the time to do what is needed for the people and not his own wallet.

I like the new pope, but I hope the Church keeps Latin language alive in it's tradition. It's the only other language I know(somewhat) besides English. A Latin mass is universal in some ways as you can go too an Latin mass in any country and understand it. I'm not tradition-list on other issues, but I believe in honoring the past and keeping what you can. I call myself a Roman Catholic, I just like having history that the church has.

I've read one report on a crack down on churches that do Latin mass, not sure what the circumstances.

* I know there is no logical religious reason to keep using Latin, but I think it is the most universal and Catholic means Universal.

I'm not Catholic but learning about its history in my high school history class started me on the road to atheism. I still consider the Catholic Church to be a force of evil in the world even though there are good people in it. An evil organization hides and covers child abusers and won't hand them over to authorities for trial. An evil organization spreads lies about HIV in Africa and lies about the effectiveness of Condoms.

http://diversitychronicle.wordpress...s-are-true-at-historic-third-vatican-council/

Best to read the whole article to view the counterpoint, but this is eye opening:

In addition to the Pope?s sweeping calls for tolerance and a new progressive understanding of Catholicism, he condemned racism, raising his voice and pounding the podium in front of him. Pope Francis spent over an hour castigating anti-immigrant politicians, parties and individuals. Wagging his finger sternly with righteous indignation, the Pope shouted ?Racism today is the ultimate evil in the world. When Italians, Spanish or French turn back the boats of African migrants seeking a better life, are they not like the inn keeper who told Mary and Joseph that there was no room for them and the infant Christ? These migrants are children of God and we are commanded to love them!?

His voice loudly echoing through St. Peter?s basilica, the Pope stated ?those who would dare to turn immigrants away, be they legal or undocumented, turn their backs on Christ himself! A racist is not a true Christian. A racist casts aside his humanity to become a beast, a demon! He is the embodiment and personification of evil, a Satan!?

To a chorus of thunderous applause, Pope Francis stated ?because Muslims, Hindus and African Animists are also made in the very likeness and image of God, to hate them is to hate God! To reject them to is to reject God and the Gospel of Christ. Whether we worship at a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a mandir, it does not matter. Whether we call God, Jesus, Adonai, Allah or Krishna, we all worship the same God of love. This truth is self-evident to all who have love and humility in their hearts!?

About time.