Porsche 911 Off-Road Version. WTFBBQ?

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
I don't know if this is totally ridiculous or totally awesome. Either way, I'm stoked for the reveal of the concept in April.

Car and Driver said:
Porsche?s lineup of 911s in the U.S. is already quite extensive: There are the Carrera, the Carrera S, the Carrera and Carrera S cabriolets, the Carrera 4 and 4S, the Carrera 4 and 4S cabriolets, the Turbo and Turbo S, the Turbo and Turbo S cabriolets, the 50th Anniversary edition, and the GT3. Yet it seems the Stuttgart-based automaker is confident there?s still room to grow the model line. According to Motor Revue, a subsidiary of German publication Auto Bild, Porsche will launch a 911 ?crossover? concept at the Beijing auto show in April.

The concept, which will be called the 911 Safari, will be based on the all-wheel-drive Carrera 4, and feature larger tires, higher ground clearance, skid plates, and an off-road-capable suspension. If the show car is well received, a production model could come to market by the middle of 2016, which would coincide with the mid-cycle face lift for the 991 911. At that time, Porsche also will introduce a new generation of downsized and turbocharged boxer engines.

The point of such a 911 model would be to take advantage of the high-demand supercar/sports car markets in China, Russia, South America, and the Middle East, where billiard-table-smooth roads aren?t as common as they are in Europe. However, we suspect many Safaris would wind up on the boulevards of Hollywood and Miami, too.

As silly as the concept of the 911 off-roader may seem at first blush, there are historic precedents. In 1978, Porsche ran the East African Safari Rally with a 911 SC Safari, powered by a 250-hp 3.0-liter six-cylinder. For the 1983 Paris-Dakar Rally, Porsche prepared three 911 Carrera 4?4 coupes with 225 horsepower; and two years later, Porsche returned to the race with its 911-based 959 Paris-Dakar supercar.

adhikz-1384845862.jpg

I am totally OK with this, especially if they build a Dakar racecar.

Plenty of amatuer/semi-professional Rally racers around here still use 911's, this should fit right up that ally.

I'd be happy with such a thing being made for rally and racing, but not as a production car for the rich with no taste.

I'd be happy with such a thing being made for rally and racing, but not as a production car for the rich with no taste.

QFT

I'm interested.

While I agree, if I had the money I'd buy one of these any day which is basically the same. Whether it's tasteless is up to you.

Dakar+1984+953.jpg

The 953 won the 1984 Paris-Dakar Rally. After that it was replaced by the 959.
Hopefully the new car will be more like that and less like a Volvo XC70.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be like a Volvo, but I fear it may be quite similar to a WRX or an Evo, but at 3-4x the price.

I'm interested.

While I agree, if I had the money I'd buy one of these any day which is basically the same. Whether it's tasteless is up to you.

Panamera, cayenne, macan.

Money can't buy taste.

What? Well, I suppose if you really want to guarantee that none of us will ever be able to own such a thing, then sure. But I'd rather they mass produce the things and sell two to every rich poser on earth, so there will be plenty of second hand used models for sale that I might afford someday. If it's just another pointless race car destined for the recyclers, then I really couldn't care less.

I'd take an offroad 911 over a Cayenne anyday.

I doubt it.....

if you dont consider the supercars, and see cayman as a hardtop boxster, panamera is the only new porsche in the last 10 years. so bone is correct :p