Porsche 991 (997 successor)

The rear wing on a GT3 produces around 400 newtons of down force at 150 mph or there abouts, if you do rough calculations, the lift induced drag of the wing is less than a 5% addition of the drag generated by the body.

Great. But that wing doesn't do anything unless you're cornering. And frankly, the 911 has enough understeer for me.

BTW the drag was enough for Matt Farah to miss his MPH target considerably in the standing mile run. In racing, a mile per hour at the end of a straight is huge. 5-10 is unbelievable.

Last edited:
The 911's also have front downforce being produced, so it's not all just going to the rear. 5-10 mph may be huge at the end the straight but you are getting the benefit in the corners to offset and more than likely have a bigger gain (because otherwise it would be pretty pointless). I'm not interested in what Matt Farah has to say.

5-10 mph may be huge at the end the straight but you are getting the benefit in the corners to offset and more than likely have a bigger gain (because otherwise it would be pretty pointless).

You do realize how little 400 newtons is at 150, don't you?

You do realize how little 400 newtons is at 150, don't you?

I know it's a very small amount. I'm guessing that the total downforce that is produced (also a small amount) is enough to make a positive difference to the handling to offset the drag penalties. If we were talking about a civic that Honda had put a wing on then I would agree with you, as I very much doubt a wing on a civic is doing anything positive, but because it's a GT3/rs we're talking about, I trust that Porsche put it there because it does make a difference and not simply for show. I could be wrong trusting Porsche on that, but I hope not. :p