Porsche 991 (997 successor)

FinalGear, I am dissapoint. Only after 20 posts?

Carscoop-Shots-01.jpg

DAAAAAAAAAAAARGHH, there finally is a car uglier than Nissan Juke! Carscoop

What exactly is so ugly about it? The rear lights are actually concealed behind stickers.

I'm not going to say it's pretty, but it looks okay so far.

I'm not sure about the the 911 going to be more a GT car than a sportscar. Porsche is supposedly making a Panamera-based V8 coupe as well, so 911 could just stay more sporty even as a default car. The prototypes driving around Stuttgart have huge intake stickers where the intakes on the Turbo models are, I'm not sure what they're meant to mean. They're clearly made to look just like stickers.

Btw, there hasn't been that much talk about the new Boxster, has there? There are almost as much Boxster prototypes driving around as 991s.

Edit:
Here's the sticker. And this picture is from January, so it's pretty old prototype.
small

Last edited:
I think it looks good so far. Good thing that they reverted back to the door mounted mirrors... :D

While I don't like the fact that it's bigger, it's great to know that it will be lighter than the 997, which despite it's very strong traditional steel chassis is one of the lightest in it's class.

It's very pretty, as I'd expect a 911 to be. :wub: Gotta love the kid in the video who was grinning ear to ear sitting in the drivers' seat, too. Pure win.

Now can we see the ridiculous versions? DAT ASS needs a spoiler and some more horsepower, methinks.

Last edited:
why do you want to put a spoiler on a road car road cars dont go fast enough to generate meaningful downforce in corners and it will just slow it down on the straights

o well it looks cool so i guess its okay

Looks very much the same as the old one, but that's not a complaint so much as a compliment: I think the 997 was the best-looking 911 yet. I've complained about the 911 in the past but it's beginning to grow on me. It could use a more aggressive bodykit though, which is why I'll be awaiting the Turbo, GT3, and GT2.

why do you want to put a spoiler on a road car road cars dont go fast enough to generate meaningful downforce in corners and it will just slow it down on the straights

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm sure there's more purpose to the wing on a GT3 RS then "Hurr, I look fast, durr." At road-legal speeds it won't make any sense obviously, but it should help at a track day.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm sure there's more purpose to the wing on a GT3 RS then "Hurr, I look fast, durr." At road-legal speeds it won't make any sense obviously, but it should help at a track day.

Nah. Downforce is a square of road speed. You need to be going 80+ (at best, in reality probably more like 95+) in the corners before the wing does anything more than add poundage. And it's still slowing you down on the straights.

Lemmie put it to you this way. Spec Miatas are the fastest cornering production cars in SCCA with sticky Hoosiers. They don't have wings. Neither do GT4 or Grand Am Conti Tire cars.

I mean, you're talking Pouhon or Blanchimont type speeds before you get any noticeable difference, on road cars. And again, it's still slowing you down on the straights and making you easier to pass.

Remember the Viper ACR? "1,000 pounds of downforce at 150 MPH!" they said. What they didn't mention is the drag far outweighs any benefit. And the ZR-1, with no wing, is still just as fast. Faster on the same tires (Pilot Sport Cup). And the ACR is adjustable and much harder and stiffer.

Last edited:
Nah. Downforce is a square of road speed. You need to be going 80+ (at best, in reality probably more like 95+) in the corners before the wing does anything more than add poundage. And it's still slowing you down on the straights.

Lemmie put it to you this way. Spec Miatas are the fastest cornering production cars in SCCA with sticky Hoosiers. They don't have wings.

I mean, you're talking Pouhon or Blanchimont type speeds before you get any noticeable difference, on road cars. And again, it's still slowing you down on the straights and making you easier to pass.

Remember the Viper ACR? "1,000 pounds of downforce at 150 MPH!" they said. What they didn't mention is the drag far outweighs any benefit. And the ZR-1, with no wing, is still just as fast. And the ACR is adjustable and much harder and stiffer.

I suppose it may very well be slower. However, shouldn't it at least make the car a little more stable so that the average 911 buyer (Who probably has very little or no racing experience) can keep it out of the guardrails, especially considering the rear-engine layout?

I suppose it may very well be slower. However, shouldn't it at least make the car a little more stable so that the average 911 buyer (Who probably has very little or no racing experience) can keep it out of the guardrails, especially considering the rear-engine layout?

Well I can't look at it from that perspective. The 911s I've driven on the track were tame enough, more exciting in a straight line than in the corners. The old ones not so much, even at road speeds (<80%).

I know a guy who races a 997 Cup and he says the wing doesn't do much even on his car. I hear similar things from Improved Touring racers. The Skippy formula car has decent sized wings on it and at 85-90 MPH through turn 4, 6 and 9 at Laguna those things didn't do anything for me. Still loose as a goose. And they make drafting OMGWTF tow.

Last edited:
I did some laps in a highly modified C5 Z06 with a rear spoiler similar to that which comes on the ACR and as I approached and passed 100 MPH I could literally feel the car pushing lower and lower to the pavement. I suppose the issue is that unless the track has corners that you can take at 100 MPH, it isn't doing anything. Thankfully, VIR has the climbing esses which are pretty damn close, and that car felt, to me, extremely stable there (for reference: everything else I've ever driven on the climbing esses felt like it was about to fly off if you approached 80-90 MPH, whereas this car did it easily).

I don't know how much of that is due to the downforce produced by the aero package on the car or how much is just coming from the better suspension, if any at all, but it was still an interesting feeling.

On topic: Damn you, Porsche, for making me want to buy you. I haven't liked any Porsche since 1998 but this one is getting closer and closer. And if it will truly be the only exoitc offering a clutch pedal, that's very appealing to me. I wonder what the gates look like. I expect four gates forward and rear, with 7 and R being opposite each other to the right side.

o well it looks cool so i guess its okay
That's my point...I want to see the inevitable "this is mostly just a street legal race car" versions. :lol:

Lemmie put it to you this way. Spec Miatas are the fastest cornering production cars in SCCA with sticky Hoosiers. They don't have wings. Neither do GT4 or Grand Am Conti Tire cars.

Remember the Viper ACR? "1,000 pounds of downforce at 150 MPH!" they said. What they didn't mention is the drag far outweighs any benefit. And the ZR-1, with no wing, is still just as fast. Faster on the same tires (Pilot Sport Cup). And the ACR is adjustable and much harder and stiffer.

The rear wing on a GT3 produces around 400 newtons of down force at 150 mph or there abouts, if you do rough calculations, the lift induced drag of the wing is less than a 5% addition of the drag generated by the body.

Last edited: