Porsche Cayman GT4

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Porsche has officially unveiled the Cayman GT4, following last week's teaser image in Real Racing 3.

Set to debut at the Geneva Motor Show, the Cayman GT4 is billed as a "clear statement that Porsche will continue to promote radical two-door sports cars in the future."

Power is provided by a 3.8-liter flat-six engine that develops 385 PS (283 kW). It is connected to a six-speed manual transmission that enables the car to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.4 seconds before hitting a top speed of 295 km/h (183 km/h). Futhermore, Porsche says the model lapped the N?rburgring Nordschleife in 7 minutes and 40 seconds.

6293227131277180720.jpg

984888037671674382.jpg

458642938511130447.jpg

8698258182081384722.jpg

Sauce.

So, Porsche will finally let the Cayman step on the 911s toes? (Well in therms of performance, that is...)

Last edited:
I always thought the Cayman looked better than the 911.
With the 911 getting fatter and bigger, going turbo on all engines and PDK on all models, the Cayman definitely is my favorite Porsche right now.
This blue one looks FANTASTIC. :drool:

I'm so glad they put the GT3 rims on the Cayman. Probably the best looking OEM rims being made right now, especially the beautifully dished rears.

The more I look at it, the more I realise how little the spec sheet and NB lap time matters. Porsche could have simply just posted some pics
"and said, trust us".

FTFY :p

I absolutely love it.
The only thing I dislike is that the same engine makes 400 hp in the C2S/C4S, but that should be easily tuneable.

[EDIT] ha, Interrobang was quicker

Manual only? Awesome. I don't have to settle for a GTS as the dream car. :lol:

Last edited:
In the EVO-video, Andreas Preuninger was joking about 385 "GT-horsepower" and that they liked to be conservative with their outputs, so I have a sneaking suspicion that they have underrated the 3,8-litre engine, it produces 430hp in the 911 GTS, so it's easily capable of that, I guess that the real output of this is somewhere slightly north of 400hp. He also explained that the reason for not offering a PDK with this was that there was a large demand among their customers for a manual, and developing two different transmissions to go with the car would have been too expensive for such as small team as the one developing the GT-cars at Porsche, the same reason he gave for going PDK-only on the GT3.

Autocar has also had a chat with Andreas Preuninger:

Porsche's own site with a dedicated minisite for the Cayman GT4.

I think this may be the performance car to look out for in 2015, as now also the GT3 seems to have been lost to the pointless game of spec sheet one-upmanship, where you need a closed circuit to be able to explore it.

Last edited:
One thing that just came to my mind, I'm waiting for someone to put a 4.0 liter 500hp engine in it.

Just give it time.

Chris Harris has driven it, and it is awesome:
[video=youtube;L9-Sr8RPty4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-Sr8RPty4[/video]

His only real criticism is the slightly tall gearing, carried over from the GTS. Porsche's only problem with this will be building enough of them, as two years worth of production is already sold out. Yes, they have taken enough deposits to fill two year of production, this will be a future classic. Porsche needs to do something clever here, or second hand prices will end up as crazy as GT3s.

Autocar has also driven it:
The GT4 is so coherent, so capable, so communicative, that it?s ridiculously easy to assess its constituent parts. The steering, gearbox, brake response, throttle response are all so precise, predictable and linear, that the GT4 is a tremendously rewarding car at any speed. Not as raw as you might expect for a car with a GT badge, but a significant enough leap over the ?10,000 cheaper Cayman GTS.

Porsche says the GT4 is a track car. So we took it to a race track - and what do you know? Porsche was right. This is one of those cars that, within a few minutes on a circuit, has you wondering just how high it would come on your list of best driver?s cars. It corners with extraordinary agility and tremendous lateral grip. Its brakes ? carbon-ceramic by option ? offer tremendous stopping power and feedback.
porscheasd-cayman-gt4-2015-ac-5.jpg

porscheasd-cayman-gt4-2015-ac-7.jpg

EVO is also impressed by it:
Perhaps the more valid question is to ask whether the GT4 does as good a job of elevating the Cayman?s capabilities as the GT3 does the 911. Relatively speaking we think it does, for where the Cayman S and GTS feel like small incremental evolutions the GT4 is a major leap forwards, both in outright ability and sheer desirability.

It?s an authentic, engineering-led project for hardcore enthusiasts. For us the biggest news is the GT4 deliberately puts driver enjoyment and engagement above the ruthless pursuit of raw performance. It?s a refreshing approach and one that makes it brilliant fun on road and track. It also means the GT4 finds itself without a direct rival.

Top Gear has also driven it:
Out with it, is the Cayman GT4 fit to stand shoulder to shoulder with the 911 GT3?
Absolutely. It's a humdinger of a car, mighty on track, addictive on the road and capable of making your fizzy bits fizz like you've dropped an Alfa Seltzer into your pants. It's... proper.

But it inspires confidence?
Completely. You never have any doubt that the GT4 will steer exactly where you want it to at precisely the instant that you want it to. As a driver it doesn't give you many excuses. And the brakes are stellar. The car I drove had PCCB and bar the occasional low speed squeak they were fabulous to use, just so powerful and easy to modulate. A real highlight, in fact.

Any weak points?
None that really deserve mentioning, but I do think you can tell the engine isn't a pure-bred Porsche Motorsport unit. It doesn't rev with quite the same frenzy and snarl and snap, but any deficiency in that area is masked by the noise - it sounds gutturally wonderful, much louder and angrier than in a 911 Carrera S. And with less weight to work against it has great torque, and, above 5,500rpm where the Vanos system gives it both barrels, real 911-threatening turn of pace.

And compared to the GT3?
It's swings and roundabouts. The GT3 remains the purer, more special car, its bespoke engine revving to 9,000rpm, as opposed to 7,800rpm here. Also part of what makes the GT3 so enthralling is that you have to manage that rear-engined layout, and the naturally better balanced Cayman doesn't provide that challenge.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
<3