jack_christie

Forum Addict
Porsche LMP1
http://www.racer.com/new-porsche-lmp1-completes-rollout/article/298400/

1371033456.jpg

Will it be driven by Mark Webber?

Hm... I wonder...

Or will the program get canned if they do F1

Porsche in F1? No chance. No chance for Audi in F1 either, VAG do not see any value in F1, sportscars allow more diversified, open and road-relevant development.

As for drivers, most likely Webber and Heidfeld along with a couple of other current sportscar hotshoes and a selected few of the current Porsche factory drivers.

Last edited:
Porsche in F1? No chance. No chance for Audi in F1 either, VAG do not see any value in F1, sportscars allow more diversified, open and road-relevant development.

As for drivers, most likely Webber and Heidfeld along with a couple of other current sportscar hotshoes and a selected few of the current Porsche factory drivers.

They did pretty well last time they had a go at F1. If they actually put their own name on the engines they may have actually gotten some exposure out of it (Seriously, what the hell was that all about?)
But I digress, Le Mans needs Porsche and to a lesser extent, Ferrari. Can't wait to see the finished race car.

They did pretty well last time they had a go at F1. If they actually put their own name on the engines they may have actually gotten some exposure out of it (Seriously, what the hell was that all about?)

The last time they actually put their name on the engine in F1 was an unadulterated DISASTER (the overweight and underpowered V12 in the 1991 Footwork that got canned after half a season). The engine they had in the pipeline at the time, a 3.5 V10, ended up in the secret LMP2000 that got canned before ever turning a wheel on a racetrack other than Weissach (with everything being hush-hush and its existence denied) and then in the Carrera GT.

This project isn't going to be canned soon, they've been trailing this for far too long and far too publicly for it to be cancelled, it would be a PR disaster to abandon the LMP1 programme after so much effort put into it.

Last edited:
The last time they actually put their name on the engine in F1 was an unadulterated DISASTER (the overweight and underpowered V12 in the 1991 Footwork that got canned after half a season). The engine they had in the pipeline at the time, a 3.5 V10, ended up in the secret LMP2000 that got canned before ever turning a wheel on a racetrack other than Weissach (with everything being hush-hush and its existence denied) and then in the Carrera GT.

This project isn't going to be canned soon, they've been trailing this for far too long and far too publicly for it to be cancelled, it would be a PR disaster to abandon the LMP1 programme after so much effort put into it.

Cool. I wasn't aware of the Footwork :) I thought the Mclaren Tag was their last effort. How did a company like Porsche actually manage to build a dog of an engine?

Cool. I wasn't aware of the Footwork :) I thought the Mclaren Tag was their last effort. How did a company like Porsche actually manage to build a dog of an engine?

It was basically two TAG engine blocks stuck together with a bit of architecture adaptation from the 917's flat-12, without too much weight reduction, unwieldy, extremely large, without turbos... There's a good write-up here: http://f1rejects.com/centrale/footworkporsche/index.html

The short version is, that they went with the wrong philosophy (V12 instead of V10) to begin with and their designer was from an era, when ox-carts were fashionable. vikirad posted the link to the excellent F1Rejects article. It's a really interesting piece of writing :).
There's also a brilliant video of how Ford developed the turbo engine in the mid-80's, showing that having a big name and racing pedigree doesn't save you from running into problems when designing an extreme piece of machinery, like an f1 engine

Mark Webber joins Porsche.
Mark Webber will end his Formula One career at the end of the current season. He has signed a contract with Porsche's new sportscar programme and will contest the World Endurance Championship and Le Mans 24 hours.
The Red Bull driver has been in F1 for the past 12 years and has won a total of nine grand prix along with another 27 podium finishes and has also achieved 11 pole positions.

?It?s an honour for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team. Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level,? says Mark Webber. ?I?m very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1. Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world.?

lol, hardly a surprise :p

4cyl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Official designation - 919 Hybrid, and the driver squad for the WEC next year filled to 6 drivers: Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas, Neel Jani, Mark Webber, Marc Lieb and Brendon Hartley.