Positive Opinions of Unpopular Cars

People would love the 914 if it was anything other than a Porsche.

Any love for the 914?

used-1972-porsche-914--10029-18782259-1-1024.jpg

meh, it’s ok? I don’t feel much for it other than it having the largest air cooled VW engine in it. Taking the 2.0L and swapping to VW Type 3 and Type 4’s is popular which in my opinion are way cooler cars.

People would love the 914 if it was anything other than a Porsche.

How dare you suggest that there are Porsche snobs!

The 928 desrved more love too, but it was not the 911 so it was mostly ignored.

meh, it’s ok? I don’t feel much for it other than it having the largest air cooled VW engine in it. Taking the 2.0L and swapping to VW Type 3 and Type 4’s is popular which in my opinion are way cooler cars.

Drive one and it will change your mind. A GT if if are lucky enough.

I straight hate how it looks, don't care who makes it
I agree.
I dislike it because I dislike it, not because it was a VW with a Porsche badge.

I actually really like the 928, but that isn't a surprise. looks at username

Reactions: MWF
How dare you suggest that there are Porsche snobs!

Drive one and it will change your mind. A GT if if are lucky enough.

It might however I’d much rather want to drive a 944 turbo. Much more handsome.

Part of me wants the new Defender 110...

I don't like that you can't really modify it and it can only be had with 18" wheels. But all the specs for it are damned impressive. Maybe the coil spring version will be able to take a little bit of lift, but I don't think you will get more than 33"s under the wheel arches unless you break out the cutting wheel.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to voice a positive AND negative opinion about the new defender, but:

It's probably not a bad truck. I say "truck" and not SUV because it looks like it can take a beating and I'm sure that's what the designers had in mind, but to me it feels like all those Top Gear versions that aren't fronted by Clarkson, Hammond and May. They hired three actors to be loud, short and lost. They might very well be good car shows in their own right but they're still not the real thing. Put another badge on it and I'll be fine with it.

I also understand that you can't make the original version forever. The components are growing old and the audience miiight just grow tired of it. Also there are modern safety and political demands to tend to.

There are 2 or 3 of them around here that I see on a fairly regular basis, not gonna lie, I've looked them up on Craigslist several times in the past few years.

As for my positive opinion of an unpopular car....

r5oGzZSl.png

I've really liked those ever since they came out, no idea why. I remember when I was a dumb teenager, I even pretended I had one when I registered for automotive forums.

Also am a big fan of these dumb things
7cNOsrbl.png

I don't know what it is about me an liking useless unpractical pickup trucks made by companies that should not be making pickup trucks.
So interesting thing: I am personally if the opinion there is a car for everyone. Like a "I don't like cars, but-" sort of deal. Beetles are a really popular one, as a "dream car" for people who don't like cars.

The baja is actually one that keeps coming up too. "I saw some weird subaru tiny truck" my friend says, it was a baha. The baja is specifically the car mom should have gotten imo. Wish they still made them when she bought the outback in 2010. Another friend loves them too. Though I think a lot of it is the fact we don't get utes here lmao.

In general though, I think a lot of weird ugly cars earn their right to exist this way. Quirky cars don't do great in overall sales because they are pretty niche and requiring a certain kind of taste, but they often convince people who don't care about cars to love them.

Unsurprisingly given my tastes I prefer weird cars even when ugly weird over boring ones. It's sort of like that art advice "design a chracter unique enough they are recognizable in silhouette". Design cars you don't even have to write the model name on.
It's probably not a bad truck. I say "truck" and not SUV because it looks like it can take a beating and I'm sure that's what the designers had in mind, but to me it feels like all those Top Gear versions that aren't fronted by Clarkson, Hammond and May. They hired three actors to be loud, short and lost. They might very well be good car shows in their own right but they're still not the real thing. Put another badge on it and I'll be fine with it.
This kind of reminds me of how I cannot stand most things with a jeep badge right now. Why do jeep crossovers exist? Jeeps are supposed to be pointy. Round jeeps are clearly fake and offend me.

The defender seems to be roughly where like the renegade they gave me as a loner is. It is close enough looks wise to the original more authentic one so it's not actively upsetting, but it overall is probably gonna feel like a pretty different car.

(Tbh I think that is also the big issue beetles had... like most people probably didn't want something as simple as the original, but fiat did a significantly better job imo on making it authentically capture the spirit)

I think the Pontiac Aztek will be like the AMC Pacer and Gremlin. Mostly hated when new, beloved as a classic.

The Delorean was loved, but seen as to expensive. The movies just added to that.

The Delorean was loved, but seen as to expensive. The movies just added to that.
Yes, but as far as I know, the car is inherently flawed. If it wasn't fore the movie, it would have never reached this icon status.

Yes, but as far as I know, the car is inherently flawed. If it wasn't fore the movie, it would have never reached this icon status.

There is no doubt that the car was flawed, but even my Very conservative father was taken by that car. The doubling of the price, and the lack of power killed it.

I do agree that the movie showed that car to the mainstream that had never seen, or heard of it. Otherwise, it might be like the UFO car, only car people would remember it.