Unveiled: Possibly The Fugliest Car Of Recent Times - Toyota FCV

gt1750

Techno Addict
Car(s)
'91 Saab 900 Turbo Cabrio, '18 Ford Smacks
Some of you might remember the Toyota FCV Concept from the last year's Tokyo Motor Show. I certainly do, even though I have been trying intesively to forget about it - I think it was one of the worst designs ever presented by a car manufacturer. It had bad proportions, pointless graphics an TRIANGLES. Un-stylized triangles simply do not belong on a car. Anyway half a year later, Toyota presents us the production version.

And guess what? It actually looks the same!

I thought it was one of those "we have a new tech in the development so we put a seemingly futuristic body and dummy running gear together for the show so u journalist and industry guys have something talk about and then forget it after few months lol" concepts. What a surprise, it was actually one of the "we have a 90% complete car in the development let's just show it to the public with concepty bits and then put it into production no matter what" concepts. I wonder how many people actually asked them to make it a little easier on the eyes. I know it's supposed to be striking and innovative, given the tech underneath - but that can be done with taste and style. Just look at the i8 by BMW.

Must be a trend I guess - everything recently presented by Toyota (or Lexus for that matter) is a styling mess. I can only hope the customers are not completely blind and there won't be so many of these abominations on the road.

Press release & additional info

Aand the pics...

Toyota-Fuel-Cell-Sedan-design-02-720x405.jpg

Toyota-Fuel-Cell-Sedan-design-01-720x540.jpg

Concept vs. Production:

Toyota-FCV-Concept-front-end-355x236.jpg
Toyota-Fuel-Cell-Sedan-design-03-355x236.jpg

Toyota-FCV-Concept-rear-end-355x236.jpg
Toyota-Fuel-Cell-Sedan-design-04-355x236.jpg

:sick:

I just barfed, shat and started bleeding from the ears all at the same time.

Hahahaha, I get it, this is a joke. This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a joke...oh god this is not a joke, is it.

Eugh. It's all out of proportion. The huge gills don't work with the tiny lights, the shaping of the body doesn't work with the length and the rear end is all kinds of wrong. From the front it looks like an angry hamster.

I agree that it looks like a futuristic car, but from the 1980s perspective...

Looks like my old attempts at drawing cars circa 1997 come to life

Ugly as hell but presumably different markets have different tastes. This is presumably meant for Japan only right?

Makes frogeye look handsome. For that reason alone, I approve.

I kinda like it. No really, I find it almost appealing. I like the huge air intakes also greenhouse and belt-line.

It's almost impressive how such an ugly thing made it into production.

Looks like it's amphibious

Ugly as hell but presumably different markets have different tastes. This is presumably meant for Japan only right?
Nooooo it's for all markets. Only launches in Japan first. But it's a fuel cell so they'll sell like two.

The front looks like it has derpy walrus tusks.