Post Your Watches

To my knowledge the Sportura line is powered by a quartz movement. If you are looking to get a proper piece, I would look at getting a watch with an automatic movement. Hamilton makes some very nice automatic chronograph sport watches similar in style to the Sportura. They MSRP for around the same price as a the Sportura, but feature an automatic movement and can be had for much cheaper through online retailers such as Jomashop or even eBay. I would not invest in a quartz watch as an upgrade to your G-shock.

Here are three of my dream watches.

Lange Datograph Perpetual.

ALangeSohneDatographPerpetualMMD.jpg

ALangeSohneDatographPerpetualQMA.jpg

That Lange is beautiful! :blink:

Edit: Just googled it, and saw the price... :shock:

Last edited:
That's pocket change compared to this. As far as I can tell, that's the most expensive wrist watch that doesn't have diamonds all over itself.

Yeah I know about the sky moon, but all those complications don't really get me going. I really like a well finished watch like Dufour makes, whose design is simple and elegant.

Honestly, I don't really like the rounded cases those watches have. I've also got a thing for rectangular watches, so this would be more up my alley

Though I do especially like the Submariner and those it inspired.

I've always liked the Blancpain 1735. A very simple and elegant grand complication watch.

Blancpain+1735,+Grande+Complication,+expensive+watch+.jpg

084.jpg

The Patek Philippe grand complication is a must for any watch collector. This is the 5074.

BASELWORLD%202009%20-%20PATEK%20PHILIPPE%20-%205074P%20PLATINUM%20GRAND%20COMPLICATION%204.jpg

Last edited:
And a bit more on the humble/realistic side, I'd love to get an IWC Portofino:

iwc-portofino-chronograph.jpg

Day/date with the white face and brown alligator strap. Turns out, it's about the same price as an Omega Speedmaster Professional...I must have a thing for chronograph watches. Also, the Citizen is in the mail!

As nice as those astronomically priced watches are (and I have a good inkling for the work that goes into them) I don't ever see myself with one. If I were going to dump a huge pile of money on a watch it would be at most a nice 3 register chronograph or even better a minute repeater/alarm.

i hate this thread :mad:

all watches i like cost more than i would spend on a car!

Tried on an IWC Portofino (which I posted above) today. Felt like a motherfuckin' boss.

Also, it turns out Rolex already discontinued this sexiness:

3008469318_2b4844975f_o.gif

Any that are still floating around usually sell for $80,000 dollars. Which is a damn shame, because that dial makes me feel funny in ways that I should probably tell a therapist.

So just for fun, here's a little set of (crappy) photos of the assembly process on a simple Font 69 movement I did Wednesday. The black thing the parts are sitting on in most of the photos is a hockey puck, which works as an excellent assembly surface. For a size reference, this movement is roughly the size of a stack of 3 US pennies.

Here's the movement ~60% disassembled, lots of bits here can be further taken apart, but this is sufficient to run through the cleaning machine for this exercise.

Here's the clutch assembly going in.

Clutch mechanism fully installed.

Flipped over and the wheel train fit.

Wheel train bridge is carefully installed making sure the pivots on the wheel arbors enter the friction jewels and don't get bent. The pivots are in the neighborhood of 8/100ths of a millimeter in diameter, so they do bend quite easily if mishandled.

Winding wheels and sweep second wheel fit.

Top bridge installed same as the previous bridge.

Balance complete is assembled. This is perhaps deceiving, the balance complete here is made of 19 individual components. The hairspring connecting the balance wheel to the bridge is perhaps 2 or 3 hundredths of a millimeter thick, breathing too heavily on it can bend it, so extreme care is used.

This is the shock jewel setting from the balance. The little brass spring is 5/100ths mm thick and must be handled carefully to avoid making it spring from your tweezers flying several feet in some random direction if it's pressed too hand against anything.

The pallet fork and bridge are set in place.

Finally the balance complete it installed. Wind it up and it starts ticking away, if everything's gone well. At this point the necessary components are oiled (some have also been oiled during assembly for ease). The hairspring is checked to be sure it's perfectly level and centered, if not corrective bends are made using tweezers sharper and smaller than a needle point. The movement is timed out on a timing machine, in this case set to run about 25 seconds per day fast to account for all the shocks and movement which will happen when it's worn during the day. Slap on he dial and some hands, case it up and it's ready to go.

That's really cool. I wish I knew how to build a watch movement. How long does it take to put it all together?

Also, I have always wanted a Vintage TAG Heuer Monaco, similar to the one Steve Mcqueen wore.

Tag-Heuer-Monaco-Replica-1.jpg

Last edited: