Post Your Watches

I only wear a watch to work, use to wear one everywhere a few years ago.

I have an old G shock that the battery is dead, use to wear it skiing as it has a Temp guage on it.

My current work watch is a Fossil Titanium.
Example:
51PrAozllFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

where did i ever mentioned wearing a watch and then pulling a phone out, i said i'd rather have a watch THAN pull out my phone to check the time, lrn2english

where did i ever mentioned wearing a watch and then pulling a phone out, i said i'd rather have a watch THAN pull out my phone to check the time, lrn2english

You also said you do not wear a watch:
I have stopped wearing watches for years since i got a phone

I can't really decide what it says about you that you'd rather have a watch but use a phone instead. Or perhaps you'd like to tell me that you meant something entirely different?

You also said you do not wear a watch:

I can't really decide what it says about you that you'd rather have a watch but use a phone instead. Or perhaps you'd like to tell me that you meant something entirely different?

so, there's something wrong with wanting the feel of a watch NOW more than BEFORE on my hands and only use my phone for.... talking (zomginorite)

Do you guys still wear watches daily? I think almost everyone I know switched to just carrying a mobile phone, years ago. I stopped wearing a watch even before that, when I decided that it just added pressure/stress - I still get to appointments on time, but I don't check my watch every five minutes.

PROTIP: people who post in the "Post Your Watches" thread tend to, um, wear watches.

Thanks for answering your own question. Pat Sajak will present your grand prize after the commercial break.

That looks really nice, actually.

Just bought this with 12 minutes to spare...total crap? I know the glass back is just going to make it thicker than it needs to be, but...eh. Not bad looking and not a bad price for a sweeping second hand, self-winding automatic movement.
https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sp/spudmunkey/2011/04/28/Capture.JPG

Just bought this with 12 minutes to spare...total crap?

Not bad looking and not a bad price for a sweeping second hand, self-winding automatic movement.

Er... yes it is crap if you want me to be blunt. I'd have trouble paying $20 for it. If that band is actually decent it may be worth the cost, but I kind of doubt its quality.

The problem with the stuhrling watches is they run on Chinese movements, there is little quality control and consequently parts fail in weird ways. That MSRP is a complete lark, it exists only to make the watch look special, they've never been sold at those prices, ever. The company history is pretty much a joke as well, essentially someone whose great grandfather or somesuch was a watchmaker put in the money to have watches with the family name made. Their website goes on and on about Swiss tradition, but the watches are made in China, not even with swiss parts.

I'd advise you to cancel your order and get a cheaper (yet ironically higher quality) Seiko over a stuhrling any day, but if you like the watch then that's what matters. Just don't wear it doing anything that would do more than splash a bit of water on it, the 50M water resistance is highly misleading.

Yeah, I had a chuckle at the "the company traces its roots to Switzerland..." comments. :p

I don't know that I've ever so much as gotten more than a droplet of water on any watch I've ever owned, so that's not an issue.

I've been lucky with watches. I don't think I've ever spent more than $69 or so, and on goofy brands (Paulo Gucci? Really? Yup. From Shop-at-Home TV. And I put it on Flex-Pay. :p), and the worst I had was a short in one where the battery would drain in 6 months. *shrugs* I just bought a big box of 30 batteries from ebay for a few dollars *laughs* so I'm set.

And I'm absolutely sure they are much nicer build quality, but the Seiko styles just don't excite me for some reason. *shrugs* It's a style thing more than anything as I take my watch off as soon as I'm home from work, anyways...and I work in an office now, so I'm not banging it on boxes and furniture in a stockroom of a furniture store anymore.

And I know the "MSRP" is a joke, but I've been following some of ChronoShark and InvictaShark watches, and they usually post Amazon links and the watches DO sell for more on Amazon...like, as legitimate prices...and it's not like they boost it for the day the deal is going on...one I followed was never below $100 on amazon for a month, and Invicta Shark sold it for $49.

In any event, I like it in the product photos. I'm also sure the blue hands will be hard to read, but again, I'm in a well-lit office at work, so I'm sure it'll be fine enough.

edit: I really do appreciate the feedback, though.

Last edited:
Dunno if I ever showed my Citizen Eco-Drive "military-style" with the brown Nato strap I got for it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/04/29/2owqi.jpg

Also, I'm completely obsessed with this blog right now, Hodinkee...lots of fascinating watches on there, great reading.

I got this Orient Blue Mako watch for around $125. Very satisfied with it (so far its very accurate for a mechanical watch, in 4 days the error was only +4 seconds) Quality is on par with Seiko.

IMG_0075.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, very pleased with it so far and also likes its looks. I think its a reliable everyday watch and for the price, there are few watches that can beat/match it value for money(in its price bracket) and its an automatic.

i just got my watch back from the jewelry, it needed a new battery

18 fucking ? for a simple batterychange? :shock:

no...

first, i have no way of opening it, need a very weird wrench for it
and second, only certfied jewelries with a dust free chambers etc can work on it, and you need special lime/cement to make it waterproof again...
(at least that's what he told me - and he seemed quite chuffed that at last someone with a decent watch came in :D)

no...

first, i have no way of opening it, need a very weird wrench for it
and second, only certfied jewelries with a dust free chambers etc can work on it, and you need special lime/cement to make it waterproof again...
(at least that's what he told me - and he seemed quite chuffed that at last someone with a decent watch came in :D)

Granted a nice case opener from Horotec or Bergeon runs $600+ (This is overkill for most places, but those once or twice a year times you get a stubborn watch case that won't open normally, you'll be glad you have the big gun), you can get a basic adjustable case wrench that will open 95% of watches for ~$30 and that's really all you need to open it. Do note if you go that route you run a decent chance of slipping and scratching the caseback pretty bad if you're not very careful. Now, I've not heard of any place using a dust free chamber for this work, but they do need to keep the rooms they work in more than surgically clean. They shouldn't be cementing the caseback on either, there are several types of sealants available for different depth and pressure ratings, but a basic silicon grease is adequate for most non submariner type watches.

I don't know what watch you've got, but if it's a nice one and is actually waterproof then a battery change should involve a new battery (real cost of a couple dollars from a good brand like Renata), a quick look to make sure there are no issues, a new case gasket (another several dollars), and a bit of grease to help seal it up. Depending on the grease, you can get a couple cc's for $5-30, and those will last for hundreds and hundreds of watches. Afterward they should run a waterproof test, ideally a dry pressure and vacuum test. The machine to do the waterproof test can run from several hundred dollars for a basic pressure tester to a nice computerized automatic pressure and vacuum tester for ~$5000. So the reason a battery change can be that expensive is more to do with the fact you're helping cover the cost of the equipment that comes with doing things right, big name watches also carry an added brand name service rate. 18 Euro monies for a battery change sounds expensive to me, though if your watch is a nice expensive one then it's also completely understandable.

I imagine you were told what you were more to discourage you from attempting it yourself and causing damage accidentally, I doubt that they actually do it like they told you.